Last modified on March 2021
With inputs from Dr.Jisha B, General Physician
– Lymphatic filariasis is commonly known as elephantiasis. It is a tropical infectious disease that affects the human lymph system. Caused by parasitic worms, filariasis is transmitted by mosquitoes from one person to another.
– Lymphatic filariasis is more common in tropical and sub-tropical parts of the world, such as Africa, India, South America, and Southeast Asia.
– The most common lymphatic filariasis symptom is whole body swelling. Since the patient experiences severe swelling in legs and feet, arms, and genital area, this leads to pain and mobility issues.
– It is recommended to consult a general physician to get an accurate filariasis diagnosis if you experience abnormal swelling, inflammation, and pain in the body.
– If you are diagnosed with elephantiasis, the doctor will recommend a filariasis treatment plan based on the severity of your condition. The doctor will also brief you about elephantiasis prevention steps to avoid mosquito bites in the future.