Last modified on March 2021
With inputs from Dr. Mamta P, General Physician
– Dengue disease is a mosquito-borne fever that is caused by one of four dengue viruses. Dengue infection is spread by the Aedes aegypti mosquito. While millions of dengue cases occur every year, most occur in tropical regions of the world.
– Generally, dengue symptoms in kids occur 4 to 7 days after a dengue mosquito bite. They include high fever, nausea, vomiting, rashes, headache, and more. Severe dengue symptoms may indicate a critical form of dengue disease called dengue hemorrhagic fever, or simply, severe dengue fever.
– While there are no licensed dengue fever vaccines in India as of now, researchers believe that the best dengue prevention and control method is to reduce mosquito habitats in high-risk regions.
– If you are searching to understand the dengue fever cure, it can be treated after receiving an accurate dengue diagnosis. Once you receive your child’s diagnosis, the pediatrician will recommend dengue remedies/ treatment options accordingly.
Chapter 1: What is dengue? What are the various dengue symptoms in kids in India?
Dengue disease is a mosquito-borne fever that is caused by one of four dengue virus strains. These viruses are closely related to the ones that cause Yellow Fever and West Nile Fever. Dengue infection is spread by the Aedes aegypti mosquito. While millions of dengue cases occur every year, most occur in tropical regions of the world. Areas that have a high risk of dengue disease include:
- Southeast Asia
- South America
- Sub-saharan Africa
- The Caribbean Islands
- The Pacific Islands
- Northern Australia
While there are no licensed dengue fever vaccines in India as of now, researchers believe that the best dengue prevention and control method is to reduce mosquito habitats in high-risk regions.
1. dengue symptoms in kids
Most people, especially children, may not experience dengue symptoms in kids during mild infection. Generally, early symptoms of dengue occur 4 to 7 days after a dengue mosquito bite. Mild dengue symptoms include:
- High fever (104 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Body pain
- Mild dengue rashes
- Sharp pain behind the eyes
2. Dengue rashes in children:
Dengue rashes are one of the most common dengue symptoms in kids. Generally, mild dengue rashes first appear on the chest and lower limbs, at least 2-5 days after the beginning of fever. They are bright red in colour and may also be accompanied by swelling in the neck and groin region. In severe cases, dengue rashes can spread to the entire body. It is important to monitor any type of rash that suddenly appears on the body. If a rash is accompanied by fever, or any of the above-mentioned dengue symptoms, consult a pediatrician immediately for a diagnosis.
It is imperative to identify early symptoms of dengue to get treated immediately. Do remember that early detection can help cure the dengue disease effectively. In any case, it is vital to seek out holistic medical care for a dengue mosquito bite. Consulting a pediatrician can help understand dengue symptoms in kids. In addition to this, a regular full-body health check once a year can help understand the areas that require improvement in your child’s health. You can book an online doctor consultation on MFine, or you can avail a complete health check-up package or choose a package depending on your child’s health condition.
Do these facial swelling symptoms seem familiar to you? Consult your city’s top general physician on MFine now!
Chapter 2: What are the dengue fever causes in India?
As mentioned previously, dengue disease is caused by one of four viruses and is transmitted by the Aedes aegypti mosquito.
- How does dengue transmission happen?
When the mosquito bites a dengue-infected person, it becomes a carrier of the dengue virus. When this infected mosquito bites another person, the dengue virus enters their bloodstream; thus, spreading the infection.
- How does dengue transmission happen?
- Risk factors for dengue infection
Factors that make a person more susceptible to developing dengue disease or a severe form of the condition include:– Living/ traveling to high-risk areas: Since most dengue fever cases occur in subtropical and tropical regions of the world, being in these regions can put you at more risk for exposure to the virus. Some of the high-risk areas include South America, Southeast Asia, Sub-saharan Africa, The Caribbean & Pacific Islands, and more.
– Prior dengue infection: If your child was infected by the dengue virus previously, this increases the risk of developing severe dengue symptoms, if they get infected again.
- Complications of dengue symptoms in kids
In most cases, improvement in the condition is seen within a week or so, once treatment is initiated. However, severe dengue symptoms may indicate a critical form of dengue disease called dengue hemorrhagic fever, or simply, severe dengue fever. It happens when blood vessels get damaged; thus, causing the platelet count (the number of clot-forming cells in the bloodstream) to drastically decrease.
- Severe dengue symptoms in kids that may indicate a life-threatening situation include:
– Blood in vomit, urine, and stool
– Persistent vomiting
– Breathing difficulties
– Excessive fatigue
– Severe abdominal pain
– Bleeding from the nose, or gums
Severe dengue symptoms in kids may trigger a condition called dengue shock syndrome. Dengue shock is a critical condition that can lead to excessive bleeding. It is imperative to consult the nearest physician immediately if the individual experiences any of the aforementioned symptoms.
Consult best pediatricians online to evaluate your child’s risk factors for dengue
Chapter 3: How is the dengue fever diagnosis performed in India?
If you are searching to understand the dengue fever cure, it can be cured after receiving an accurate dengue diagnosis. Once you receive your child’s diagnosis, the doctor will recommend dengue remedies/ treatment options accordingly.
- Firstly, the pediatrician/ physician will understand the dengue symptoms in kids by asking questions. Ensure you have a list of the symptoms experienced by your child and the duration of each symptom.
- Next, the doctor will want to understand your child’s medical history and travel history.
- While these may be helpful, dengue disease is confirmed only after detecting the dengue virus/ antibodies through a blood test.
Once the dengue fever diagnosis is completed, the pediatrician/ physician will recommend a suitable dengue treatment option for your child.
Get a quick and thorough diagnosis from top child doctors online if your child shows symptoms of dengue
Chapter 4: What are the various dengue infection treatment plans in India?
There is no single dengue fever cure. Treatment for dengue is provided to improve and control the symptoms. For a mild dengue infection, the doctor may suggest dengue treatment at home, such as:
- Taking plenty of rest and avoiding strenuous activity during the recovery time.
- Drinking plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration due to vomiting.
- Using pain medications to reduce headache and body pain. However, use pain medicines for dengue fever as prescribed by the doctor only.
During the recovery period, keep an eye on for dehydration symptoms. Consult a pediatrician immediately if your child develops the following symptoms:
- Infrequent urination
- Dry mouth
- Chapped lips
In the case of dengue hemorrhagic fever, the patient may require the following treatments to control their symptoms:
- Intensive care at a hospital
- Intravenous fluids (IV) therapy
- Electrolyte replacement therapy
- Blood transfusion
Chapter 5: What are the dengue prevention and control steps?
Currently, there are no licensed dengue fever vaccines in India. Controlling mosquito population and human exposure to the dengue virus are the most effective dengue prevention and control steps.
If you and your child are living in/ traveling to high-risk areas, incorporate the following tips to reduce the chances of getting a dengue mosquito bite:
- Ensure your residence is well-screened to avoid mosquitoes from entering into your house.
- Wear full-length clothes when you go to high-risk areas.
- Use a mosquito repellent lotion to get protection against mosquito bites.
- Control mosquito population: Mosquitoes are more likely to lay eggs in stagnant water, or even used automobile tires. It is imperative to eliminate any habitats that may provide a breeding ground for mosquitoes.
Chapter 6: Consulting a doctor for dengue disease on MFine
Dengue disease can be managed and treated. The correct dengue diagnosis is the key to effective dengue management. A pediatrician can best diagnose this disease and suggest the way forward based on the severity of the condition. If your child faces severe dengue symptoms in kids, you must see a pediatrician right away. At MFine, we enable the patients to live a healthier life with modern medical services.
We ensure that the best treatments are made available to our patients for every stage of the condition. Get in touch with our team of highly-qualified doctors and healthcare professionals for any medical advice or assistance. We, at MFine, provide you with a holistic healthcare treatment program as per your bodily needs and requirements. You can also check our MFine app for a list of the best pediatricians in your city with whom you can chat or video call to get answers for your medical queries!
Your child’s health is our top priority! Consult your city’s best pediatricians to kickstart your child’s treatment journey today
Chapter 7: Frequently Asked Questions on Dengue Symptoms in kids:
1. Where does dengue rash appear?
Generally, mild dengue rashes first appear on the chest and lower limbs. They are bright red in colour and may also be accompanied by swelling in the neck and groin region. In severe cases, it can spread to the entire body.
2. What are the signs of recovery from dengue?
Patients with normal/ uncomplicated dengue infection can recover completely within 2 weeks. Signs of dengue recovery include:
-Symptoms subsiding in 2-7 days.
-High fever subsiding in 4-5 days.
-Platelet count starts recovering gradually.
3. How can I get rid of my weakness after dengue?
Excessive sweating and vomiting during a dengue infection can cause the patient to feel weak; thus, leading to dehydration. It is vital to drink adequate fluids to keep the body well hydrated. Drinking juices like neem juice, papaya juice, or even coconut water can avoid dehydration.
4. Can a person get dengue twice?
Yes, it is possible to get infected by dengue again. Once recovery is over, the person will gain immunity against the dengue virus that infected them. However, they can still be infected by the other three types of dengue viruses. It is important to keep a check of early symptoms of dengue if they reoccur.
5. How do I book an appointment with a pediatrician online?
To schedule an instant appointment, download the MFine app, search for a pediatrician, and fill out your details. You can then get in touch with a top pediatrician online from the comfort of your home. You can discuss your health concerns comfortably as MFine takes your privacy very seriously. With a safe and secure platform, we ensure that the discussions between you and your doctor strictly remain confidential.