Select a Lab
Request a Call Back
How to book an Lipase Test in Pune?
What is a lipase test used for?
The doctor can advise you to get the lipase test done to detect several conditions, such as:
- To detect pancreatic disorders such as pancreatitis or blockage of pancreatic duct
- To check how well the medicines taken for pancreatic disorders are effective in a patient
- Used in the diagnosis of peritonitis, strangulated bowel, or pancreatic cyst
Some of the symptoms linked to pancreatic disorders, where lipase test could be advised are: Fever, loss of appetite, weight loss, nausea, and abdominal pain.
What is included in a lipase test?
The lipase test includes checking lipase enzyme levels in your blood and compares them with the normal range.
Procedure for the test
When the test is booked, the technician visits the home at the time slot selected by you. They will collect your blood sample and carry it to the accredited laboratory where the test will be conducted.
How to prepare for the Lipase test?
To prepare yourself for the test, you may need to fast for at least 8-10 hours before the test. You can drink water during this period. If you take medications, inform your doctor beforehand, as they might interfere with your test results. Some such medications are opiates, birth control pills, cholinergic medicines, etc.
Things to consider after the test is complete
There would be a string or slight pain sensation during the needle insertion for drawing the blood. After the blood is drawn, there may be some throbbing at the point by where the blood was drawn. You should wait for your test reports and consult with your doctor once you receive them.
What types of infection can lipase test detect?
A lipase test is usually recommended by your healthcare professional to diagnose pancreatitis. Pancreatitis can be either acute or chronic. In case you suffer from acute pancreatitis, the condition lasts for a short period of time that usually takes a few days to cure. In contrast, chronic pancreatitis remains for a longer period that worsens with time.
How much does the lipase test cost?*
Lipase test costs between INR 300-1000, depending upon the lab partner and the city where you stay.
*Disclaimer: The value varies based on location, time, and your preferred lab partner.
How long does it take to get the results for the lipase test?
You can expect to get the results for the lipase test within 24 to 48 hours after the sample is collected. However, in certain cases, depending on the location, medical advice, and preferred lab partner, it may take longer.
What do abnormal lipase test results indicate?
Abnormal test results may indicate the following conditions:
- Acute Pancreatitis – Acute Pancreatitis is a minor condition that lasts for a short period only.
- Chronic Pancreatitis – Chronic Pancreatitis is a major health disorder that gets worse over time.
- Gallstone Pancreatitis – This condition occurs when a gallstone closes the pancreatic duct leading to extreme inflammation and pain in the pancreases.
- Peptic ulcers – These are open sores that build upon the upper portion of your intestine. The most common symptom of peptic ulcers is stomach pain.
- Pancreatic cysts – These are sac-like pockets that build up in your pancreas. If not treated rightly, cysts can cause infection leading to medical emergencies.
- Pancreatic cancer – Another major disease that can be caused due to abnormal lipase levels in pancreatic cancer. This cancer begins to grow if there is an uncontrolled growth of the pancreas.
- Stomach cancer – Stomach cancer is a common type of cancer also termed gastric cancer. This condition severely affects the different parts of the stomach. It majorly occurs due to smoking, drinking, or consuming highly processed food.
- Intestinal obstruction – Intestinal obstruction is a condition in which the small and large intestine suffers from internal blockage due to which solids and liquids do not pass through the intestine. One major reason for this condition is certain medications.
- Acute appendicitis – It is an extreme condition where the appendix suffers severe inflammation leading to extreme pain in the abdomen and lower region. In order to eliminate the pain, it is treated within 24 hours of pain.
- Biliary disease – Biliary diseases majorly show an impact on structures such as the gallbladder, bile ducts, and so on responsible for the production and the transportation of the bile. The liver produces bile fluid.
- Alcoholism – A chronic disease that increases with time due to excessive consumption of alcohol, leading to several other health disorders. In this condition, the person gets heavily dependent on alcohol, both physically and mentally.
Disclaimer: Please consult with your doctor to interpret the test reports.
Is the lipase test definitive?
Lipase is not a definitive test but is used as one of the diagnostic tests for pancreatitis, and the increase in lipase levels three or more times above the normal level are associated with pancreatitis. Lipase levels may also elevate in case of peptic ulcers or any other disease of the pancreas, stomach, or intestines.
Doctors might ask for some additional tests to confirm the diagnosis and rule out other conditions. Therefore, an abnormal lipase test indicates pancreatitis; it may not be enough to confirm the disease.
How to read the lipase test report?
Normal lipase test results are between 0 to 160 units per liter (U/L) or 0 to 2.67 microkat/L (µkat/L). The range for Normal value may slightly vary among different lab partners. A few laboratories opt for different types of measurement methods for Lipase tests that may affect the final value a little. Discuss with your doctor to know about different terminologies in test results.
Why book the test?
this, this test is conducted to monitor pancreatitis and other pancreas-related disorders. In case your doctor spots symptoms that directly indicate a blockage in the pancreas, they suggest booking the lipase test. Some of the symptoms that you should treat as red flags are-
- Nausea and vomiting
- Severe back pain
- Severe abdominal pain
- Loss of appetite
- A family history of pancreatitis
- High triglycerides
In case you’re going through any such diseases or experiencing similar symptoms, it is best recommended to book a lipase test as soon as possible. Apart from this, if you drink or smoke regularly, get yourself tested as you’re at a higher risk of having abnormal pancreatitis levels.
Lipase test at home – how does it work?
The lipase test is just like any other blood test that you might have already been aware of. A lab technician visits your home when you book your tests through the MFine app. The lab technician first cleans the arm with a disinfectant in order to ensure everything is nice and clean. After that, they insert a syringe into a vein to take out some blood which is further used as a sample to achieve accurate results.
The required amount of blood is then taken into a vial or a test tube. The lab technician then removes the needle and places cotton wool or a bandage over the prick. This might hurt you in the beginning for 4-5 seconds, however, the pain is surely bearable. Once the test is done, you’re advised to have fresh juice.
Are there any risks involved with the test?
Although a lipase test is a simple blood test and does not involve any health risks in particular as all they do is take out some blood as a sample to check under the microscope. However, there are some minor side effects that you might witness after getting the lipase test done. These are as follows-
- Bleeding from the site where the needle is inserted
- Blood collecting under the skin
- Lightheaded feeling
- Infection (a minor risk any time the skin is pricked)
Apart from these, there are no side effects of the lipase test. In case you suffer any major complications, it is advisable to visit your healthcare professional as soon as possible to minimize future health issues.
What can affect the results of the test?
Lipase results could be affected by medications or food intake 8-10 hours before the test. You should consult your doctor if you are on medications. Hence, it is advisable to inform your healthcare professional about all the medicines or drugs you might need before going for the lipase test.
Also, if there are any specific instructions from your doctor’s end, such as fasting, make sure you follow them religiously to achieve accurate results. Note that the lipase test results will help your healthcare professional plan the future treatment process; therefore, there’s no scope of gaps.
Why Book the Lipase Test ?
- Lipase is an enzyme, a type of protein formed by the liver, intestines, pancreas, stomach, tongue, and many other cells in the body. In case there is any injury or damage, the level of lipase increases in the blood. The test is useful for measuring the amount of lipase present in your blood. If you experience symptoms like fever, loss of appetite, weight loss, nausea, and abdominal pain, it is suggested to book a lipase test.
- This test analyzes and screens the people who have a high danger of developing high lipase levels. It also precludes the possibility of acute pancreatitis, gallstone pancreatitis, chronic pancreatitis, pancreatic cysts, and other health disorders. It also helps determine the efficacy of medicines being prescribed to treat a pancreatic disease.
For further assistance
Popular Health Packages
What does the Lipase Test measure?
What Preparation is Needed for the Lipase Test ?
What Happens to Your Test Sample?
What do Abnormal Results Indicate?
- The normal results for a lipase test are in the range from 0 to 160 units per liter (U/L) or 0 to 2.67 microkat/L (µkat/L). Lipase test shows abnormal results in case of an abnormal lipase level which happens when the lipase levels are more than the normal level in the blood.
- If your report indicates abnormal results, then it may indicate a condition of Peptic ulcers, Chronic pancreatitis, Pancreatic cysts, Acute pancreatitis, Gallstone pancreatitis, Alcoholism, Acute appendicitis, Intestinal obstruction, Biliary diseases, or Bowel obstruction.
- It is always recommended to consult your doctor and show your test results to your doctor for a better analysis.
- Disclaimer: It has been advised to always consult with your doctor to interpret the test reports.
Frequently Asked Questions | FAQs
Can I avail of a home sample collection in Pune?
Yes, you can easily avail of sample collection for various tests at home through MFine. Within a single click, you can book a slot for a test without going anywhere. Your test results will be available for download within 48 hours.
What is the cost of the Lipase Test in Pune?
The cost of the tests depends upon different laboratories and the infrastructure used by the laboratories. The charges for the test in Pune generally range from INR 300 – 1000.
I stay in Bangalore. Can I book a Lipase test for my grandfather staying in Pune?
Yes, you can easily book a Lipase test for your relatives and old family members living in distant places with the help of MFine.
How can I reschedule my appointment for a Lipase test sample?
You can easily reschedule the appointment for a Lipase test through the MFine app or web service. The app has an option to reschedule the sample collection date and time.
Is the lab technician coming for a Lipase test sample collection vaccinated?
Yes. Our lab technicians are fully vaccinated. Further, they also ensure safety throughout by wearing a mask and using sanitizer and gloves during sample collection.
When is a Lipase test recommended?
A lipase test may be recommended by your doctor if you have a suspicion of pancreatic duct obstruction or pancreatitis. You may also be advised to have a lipase test if you have obesity, diabetes, severe abdominal pain, severe back pain, loss of appetite, family history of pancreatitis, diarrhea, vomiting, and nausea.
Is a prescription required to book a Lipase test?
A lipase test is a general test and it is not necessary to take a prescription from a doctor to book a Lipase test. Still, it is recommended to consult a doctor before you book a test.
Does MFine provide result interpretation along with the reports?
Yes, MFine provides result interpretation along with the reports. Also, you will be able to avail a free doctor consultation after the lab test to understand your reports accurately. Our doctor will also advise and prescribe medicines if required based on the results.
Is the Lipase test definitive?
No, Lipase is not a definitive test. The test is used to check and diagnose pancreatitis. Pancreatitis refers to the rise in the normal level of lipase in the body. Lipase levels may be different as a result of the diseases of the intestines, pancreas, stomach, or peptic ulcers.
What other tests are usually recommended along with the Lipase test?
The doctor might prescribe other tests such as ultrasound, endoscopy, CT scan, and MRI scan along with the Lipase test for detailed examination.
What diseases can be detected through the Lipase Test?
The Lipase test can detect chronic diseases that affect the pancreas such as Diagnose pancreatitis or another disease of the pancreas, cystic fibrosis, and blockage in your pancreas.
How can I download my Lipase test report?
- Login to MFine
- Go to your profile
- Click Attachment and Reports
- Click Lab Report and download the same.
Are there any discount offers running on the Lipase test in Pune?
Usually, you can avail of up to 50% discount on the Lipase test through MFine. However, the discount and test price may vary based on lab partner and location.