Book D Dimer Test in Kolkata
Select a Lab
Request a Call Back
How to avail D Dimer Test in Kolkata?
What is D Dimer Test Used For?
The test is used for identifying the inappropriate blood clotting in the body. Blood clotting is an important process that prevents you from losing too much blood when injured. In a healthy person, the blood clots dissolve when the injury is healed completely. However, if you are someone with blood clotting disorders, then there are chances of formation of blood clots in the body even without any injuries. Blood clots so formed do not dissolve in the body and are harmful and even life-threatening. With the help of the D-dimer test, such inappropriate blood clots in the body can be identified.
What is included in a D Dimer Test?
We know that the D-dimer test is used for the identification of inappropriate blood clots or for the identification of blood clotting disorders such as:
- Deep vein thrombosis (DVT): Deep vein thrombosis is a blood clot that is formed in the vein deep inside your body. Most of the DVTs are found in thigs or lower legs. DVT is caused because of a long time sitting still with blood clot formation in leg veins and if the veins get swollen or inflamed, then it is known as thrombophlebitis. Tenderness over the vein, skin redness, and swelling in the affected body part is the other common symptoms of DVT. There are medications that are used for easing the pain and reducing inflammation. These medications also break the clot and keep new clot formation away.
- Pulmonary embolism (PE): Pulmonary embolism is a sudden blockage in the lung artery. This occurs when the blood clot breaks from another site and travels to the lungs through the bloodstream. PE is a serious health condition because it permanently damages the lungs, the levels of oxygen lowers, and it damages the other organs due to a shortage of oxygen. The medicines that are prescribed for patients with PE are blood thinners or anticoagulants that keep the blood clots from getting larger and prevents the formation of new blood clots.
- Stroke: Stroke happens when there is no blood flow to a part of your brain. When there is no blood flow, the brain’s cells die within minutes as they do not get the required amount of nutrients including oxygen. Ischemic stroke is a type of stroke that is caused by blood clots. These blood clots block the blood vessels in the brain. People with high blood pressure, diabetes, and heart diseases are at higher risk of stroke.
- Disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC): Disseminated intravascular coagulation is a disorder caused because of the overactive proteins that modulate blood clotting. The cause of DIC can be inflammation, cancer, or infection. There are a few proteins that are responsible for the formation of the blood clot when there is an injury. In the DIC cases, these proteins start forming blood clots throughout the body leading to less or no supply of blood to other organs of the body. Also due to over usage of clotting factors, the body goes into a clotting deficiency state and bleeding in abnormal sites occurs as a consequence Lack of blood flow leads to multiple organs failure.
D Dimer Test Procedure
A lab technician will collect the blood sample from the vein in your arm using a needle. Once the needle is inserted, a small amount of blood is collected and stored in a test tube. This test tube is then sent to the lab for further processing.
How to prepare for the D Dimer Test?
|Before Test||During Test|
|There are no special preparations that are required for this test.||During the test, a lab technician will collect the blood sample from your vein by inserting a needle. The blood sample is then collected in a test tube which is sent for further processing. It usually takes less than five minutes for the pain to go away.|
Things to consider after the D Dimer Test is completed
Once the test results are available, consult your doctor who would recommend treatment based on your test results. Please do not self diagnose your health condition.
What type of infections can a D Dimer Test detect?
Through this test, the detection and diagnosis of intravascular coagulation and fibrinolysis are possible. The D-dimer test is also combined with other laboratory tests such as platelet count, clotting time assays, and assays of the clot in fibrinogen.
How long does it take to get the D Dimer Test results?
Once the blood samples are dropped at the labs, the test results will be available on the MFine app for download within the next 24-48 hours.
Is D Dimer a Definitive Test?
D-dimer is a sensitive yet poor specificity test that detects any abnormal clotting in the body in conditions like Deep vein thrombosis. The test is not recommended for pulmonary embolism and for diagnosis.
How to read the D Dimer Test report?
|D-dimer values||What it means|
|The value should be between 220 and 500 ng/ml fibrinogen-equivalent units||Normal|
|More than 500 ng/ml fibrinogen-equivalent units||Positive|
|Less than 220 ng/ml fibrinogen-equivalent units||Negative|
However, an increased range of D-dimer values cannot be considered abnormal as they might have increased due to other reasons like:
- Recent surgery, recent bleeding, trauma, and hematomas
- It could be due to congestive heart failure, liver disease, or hypercoagulable states
What affects the D Dimer Test results?
If the D-dimer test results are normal or low, it indicates that there is no blood clotting disorder. However, if the test results are positive it could be due to blood clotting disorder. It could also be due to other conditions such as pregnancy, recent surgery, and heart diseases. It is always advised to talk to your doctor about all your concerns and never try self-medication.
Why Book D Dimer Test in Kolkata?
- Book the test to rule out any blood clotting disorders.
- To get treated for any conditions that are related to thrombosis.
For further assistance
Other Lab Tests in Kolkata
Popular Health Packages in Kolkata
What does D Dimer Test Measure?
How to Prepare for the D Dimer Test?
What happens to the D Dimer Test Sample in Kolkata?
What do D Dimer Abnormal Results Indicate?
Are there any Precautionary Requisites for this Test?
Frequently Asked Questions - FAQs
Is the D-dimer test done on an empty stomach?
No, there is no such requirement before the test.
What affects the D Dimer test reports?
The test reports get affected by heart diseases, pregnancy, and any recent surgeries. Irrespective of what the test reports are, it is always advisable to talk to your doctor about all your concerns and never try self-medications.
What are the symptoms of a blood clot?
The following are the symptoms of a blood clot:
- Bleeding gums
- Sharp chest pain, faster heartbeat, breathlessness
- Swelling, pain, and change in skin colour of your leg
Who should get this test done?
Men and women who are above 18 years of age can get the test done.
What is the D-dimer test?
In this test, the amount of D-dimer which is a type of protein produced by the body is measured. To stop excess blood loss from the body, there is a formation of the blood clot. But if these blood clots are formed in the body with any injuries, they are harmful and life-threatening. The increased amount of D-dimer in the body is an indication of blood disorders. Hence, this test helps in the detection of blood disorders.
What can cause positive D-dimer?
The following are the possible causes of positive D-dimer:
- Old age
- Heart problems
- Recent surgeries
- Liver problems
- High levels of lipid or triglycerides
Which are the certified lab partners of MFine?
MFine is partners with certified labs across India. A few of our certified lab partners across various cities are Thyrocare, Prima Diagnostics, Neuberg, Healthians, RapidX, Healthwell, Accuprobe, Orange Health, 5th Vital, Bioline, Pragathi Diagnostics, and many more. All our lab partners are accredited and they use the latest technology to provide quality service within the stipulated time.
Are your lab partners accredited?
Yes, all our lab partners are NABL (National Accreditation Board of Testing and Calibration of Laboratories) accredited labs. Most of our lab partners have the state of the art infrastructure facilities.
Is it possible to book the test for my parents staying in a different city?
Yes, it is possible to book the test for yourself or your parents staying in a different city where MFine’s at-home lab services are available. You can check the availability of services by adding the pin code on the MFine app.
Can this test be conducted at home?
Yes, the test can be conducted at home. While booking the test, add your address and time slot for the collection of the blood sample. A lab technician will come for the collection of the samples.