Osmotic Fragility Test in Pune
Select a Lab
Request a Call Back
How to Book an osmotic fragility Test in Pune?
What is the Osmotic Fragility Test used for?
Two inherited disorders, thalassemia, and hereditary spherocytosis can be diagnosed with an osmotic fragility test.
Thalassemia is a condition in which your body produces an abnormal kind of haemoglobin. Haemoglobin is the oxygen-carrying protein in red blood cells. Your red blood cells are more likely to be damaged if you have thalassemia. Anaemia can happen as a result of this.
The outer layer of your red blood cells is affected by hereditary spherocytosis, which distorts their form. This causes more vulnerable red blood cells to break down more quickly, resulting in anaemia. A blood sample is required for an osmotic fragility test. The ability of your red blood cells to split apart in a salt solution will be examined. The test is positive if your red blood cells are more brittle than normal.
What is included in the Osmotic Fragility Test?
Your blood will be prepared in the lab. Your red blood cells will be introduced to liquids with varying salt concentrations to determine osmotic fragility. Normal blood cells may withstand low salt solutions better than spherocytosis or thalassemia blood cells, which are more fragile.
You most likely have inherited spherocytosis or thalassemia if your cells are frail. Hemolytic anaemia can be caused by one of these hereditary disorders. This type of anaemia develops when your red blood cells are damaged too quickly. If your osmotic fragility test is positive, you’ll need to double-check the data and see if you’re anaemic.
Procedure for Osmotic Fragility Test
Osmotic fragility test is a simple blood test that withdraws blood from your veins. It is often done in a doctor’s clinic or a laboratory. The technician will ask you to roll up one of your sleeves or remove your arm from the sleeve if you’re wearing a long-sleeved shirt.
In order to make the blood withdrawal easier, the technician will tighten an elastic strap around your upper arm. This aspect of the procedure may make you feel uneasy.
The technician will locate a vein and use an antiseptic to clean the region to draw blood using a syringe and a needle. You may feel a sting but the pain goes away almost immediately. The technician will then apply a bandage or cotton swab to stop bleeding if any.
How to prepare for the Osmotic Fragility Test?
There is no special preparation for an osmotic fragility test ahead of time. A blood sample is obtained when the test is performed. However, you should keep the following in mind before and during the osmotic fragility-;
|Before the test||During the test|
Things to consider after the Osmotic Fragility Test is complete
After you receive the Osmotic fragility test report, consult with your doctor about the treatment of the disorder. The doctor will interpret the results for you and will recommend the best treatment for you. Do not self diagnose your health condition and avoid taking any medications without prescriptions.
*What types of infection can the Osmotic Fragility test detect?
The purpose of this test is to detect hereditary spherocytosis and thalassemia. Red blood cells in hereditary spherocytosis and thalassemia are more brittle than normal. Since it is a hereditary disease it can be considered an infection.
How much does an Osmotic Fragility Test cost?*
The cost of the Osmotic fragility test can vary in different places but they are more or less in the same range and do not differ drastically.
|City||Test Price Starting from|
|Book Osmotic Fragility Test Cost in Delhi||₹ 112.0|
|Book Osmotic Fragility Test Cost in Gurugram / Gurgaon||₹ 112.0|
|Book Osmotic Fragility Test Cost in Noida||₹ 112.0|
|Book Osmotic Fragility Test Cost in Faridabad||₹ 112.0|
|Book Osmotic Fragility Test Cost in Ghaziabad||₹ 112.0|
|Book Osmotic Fragility Test Cost in Jaipur||₹ 340.0|
|Book Osmotic Fragility Test Cost in Hyderabad||₹ 342.0|
|Book Osmotic Fragility Test Cost in Pune||₹ 405.0|
|Book Osmotic Fragility Test Cost in Chandigarh||₹ 700.0|
|Book Osmotic Fragility Test Cost in Bangalore / Bengaluru||₹ 960.0|
|Book Osmotic Fragility Test Cost in Chennai||₹ 960.0|
|Book Osmotic Fragility Test Cost in Mumbai||₹ 960.0|
|Book Osmotic Fragility Test Cost in Thane||₹ 960.0|
*Disclaimer: The value varies based on location, time, and your preferred lab partner.
How long does it take to get the results for the Osmotic Fragility Test?
Your report will be updated on the MFine app within 48 hours after the test. After you receive the RBS test report, consult with your doctor, who’d be able to recommend the best treatment plan for you. Do not self diagnose or treat your health condition.
What do abnormal Osmotic Fragility test results indicate?
Your blood will be prepared in the lab for osmotic fragility testing, and your red blood cells will be added to solutions with various salt concentrations. Normal blood cells may withstand low salt solutions better than spherocytosis or thalassemia blood cells, which are more fragile.
You most likely have inherited spherocytosis or thalassemia if your cells are frail. Hemolytic anaemia can be caused by one of these hereditary disorders. This type of anaemia develops when your red blood cells are damaged too quickly.
- Thalassemia is a blood disorder that is passed down the generations. It occurs when DNA within cells is mutated.
- Hereditary spherocytosis (HS), is a condition in which red blood cells’ shells, or membranes, are fragile. The red blood cells become smaller as they move through the spleen. As a result, their lifespan is much shorter than that of normal cells.
- Anaemia is a condition in which there aren’t enough red blood cells to carry enough oxygen to your body.
If your osmotic fragility test is positive, the next step is to confirm the results and test whether you are actively anaemic.
Disclaimer: Please consult with your doctor for interpreting the test reports
Is the Osmotic fragility test definitive?
An osmotic fragility test is a well-known test in medicine, having been used by doctors for more than 70 years. As it determines the fragility of red blood cells, it is regarded as a reliable method of determining the health of red blood cells. It is also a trusted method of detection of thalassemia by doctors with the most accurate and precise results and clear interpretation.
How to read the Osmotic Fragility test report?
The osmotic fragility test (OFT) is a method of determining the fragility of blood cells in varying amounts of saline solution. Normal cells, on one hand, survive the hypotonic environment(low-salt solution), whereas, on the other hand, fragile cells are not able to withstand such conditions and lysis or breaking of cells occurs.
There is no actual agreement among laboratories on a reference range of results for erythrocyte osmotic fragility.
|Normal blood cells||Fragile blood cells|
|Remain intact in low salt solution||Blood cells swell and explode|
Disclaimer: Consult your doctor for the interpretation of the results and seek help for the treatment.
Osmotic Fragility Test at home – how does it work?
The Osmotic fragility test is a common blood test done to determine the fragility of blood cells which detects conditions like thalassemia.
A lab technician will visit your home when you book your tests through the MFine app. The lab technician will first clean your arm, sanitize it and then insert a syringe into your vein. The technician will collect the required amount of blood into a vial. The lab technician will then remove the needle and place a ball of cotton wool or a bandage over the prick.
Are there any risks involved with an Osmotic Fragility Test?
There are few hazards associated with having blood extracted. Infection is one of the threats that can happen while doing a blood withdrawal.
If your temperature rises beyond 100°F, contact your doctor. If the skin around the area where the blood was taken turns red, puffy, or painful to touch, you should seek medical attention. The skin around the area of the blood withdrawal may be bruised or sore for a few days after the test. A cold pack applied to the affected area can help to decrease bruising and discomfort. You can resume all normal activities after the test unless your doctor instructs you differently.
What can affect the results of the Osmotic Fragility Test?
The extrinsic factors include:
- Ionic strength, and pH of the incubation media
- The type of anticoagulant and blood storage time
- Ambient temperature, drugs
- Medicinal plant extracts
- Xenobiotics, and chemical agents
While intrinsic factors include:
- Genetic factors
Why Book an Osmotic Fragility Test?
- The osmotic fragility test is mainly conducted on infants if the family has a medical history of thalassemia or hereditary spherocytosis. Also, this test helps in determining thalassemia or spherocytosis is the cause of anemic disorders. This might be a quick and inexpensive technique to aid in the diagnosis of the disease. However, to confirm the disorder, other blood and genetic tests are also recommended.
- If you're wondering if your newborn baby is suffering from any deformity, book an osmotic fragility at the earliest possible.
For further assistance
Book Osmotic Fragility Test Near Me in Pune | MFine
Book Osmotic Fragility Test Near Me in Pune | MFine
What is the Osmotic Fragility Test Measure?
- An osmotic fragility test is a blood test that measures the sustainability of our Red blood cells by processing them through several concentrated salt solutions. If there are chances of easily breaking apart, it might reflect deformity. Your child's health expert usually recommends this test to determine whether the infant has hereditary spherocytosis or thalassemia.
- If the test results show an easy breakdown of red blood cells or brittle nature, it directly indicates abnormal cells and anemic infections. If you suspect any possible symptoms, book an osmotic fragility today through MFine.
What Preparation is Needed for the osmotic fragility test?
- An osmotic fragility test requires some special precautions or preparations. Firstly, it is advised to inform the doctor about any underlying problems and your family's health. Also, if you have any allergies, do not forget to mention those. Food intake does not interfere with the collection of samples, and therefore, there is no need to fast before sample collection.
- Certain medications may impact your test findings, so try to take a prescription from a doctor in that case. Besides this, if there is any other important information, your doctor will advise you the same.
What happens to your Test Sample?
What do Abnormal Results Indicate?
- If your test results show abnormal results, it demonstrates that red blood cells are more fragile than natural. You most likely have inherited spherocytosis or thalassemia if your cells are frail. This disorder can lead to Hemolytic anemia. It is a type of anemia formed in case the RBCs are damaged too quickly.
- Thalassemia - It is a blood condition transmitted down to generations. If the DNA within cells is mutated, it leads to this condition.
- Hereditary spherocytosis- Also known as HS, is a condition where the red blood cells are too fragile and become smaller as they move through the spleen.
- Anemia - When the count of RBC in the body decreases to the extent that there aren't enough red blood cells to carry enough oxygen to your body, it is termed anemia.
- Individuals who experience related symptoms are most likely to test positive for the osmotic fragility test. Do not self-medicate without taking a specialist clinical opinion.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I avail myself at-home sample collection in Pune?
Yes, you can easily avail of sample collection for various tests at home through MFine. Within a single click, you can book a slot for a test without going anywhere. Your test results will be available for download within 48 hours.
What is the cost of the osmotic fragility Test in Pune?
The cost of the tests depends upon different laboratories and the infrastructure used by the laboratories. The charges for the test in Pune generally range from INR 405.0.
I stay in Delhi. Can I book an osmotic fragility test for my grandfather staying in Pune?
Yes, you can easily book an osmotic fragility test for your relatives and old family members living in distant places with the help of MFine.
How can I reschedule my appointment for an osmotic fragility test sample?
You can easily reschedule the appointment for an osmotic fragility test through the MFine app or web service. The app has an option to reschedule the sample collection date and time.
Is the lab technician coming for an osmotic fragility test sample collection vaccinated?
Yes. Our lab technicians are fully vaccinated. Further, they also ensure safety throughout by wearing a mask and using sanitizer and gloves during sample collection.
When is an osmotic fragility test recommended?
A doctor recommends an osmotic fragility test if you are experiencing constant lethargy, dizziness, palpitations, shortness of breath, weakness, and so on. In case the same are spotted by your health expert, the osmotic fragility test is suggested. It is a progressive form of the disease leading to possible complications in the body.
Is a prescription required to book an osmotic fragility test?
No, generally, it is not required to take a prescription from a doctor to book an osmotic fragility test. Still, it is recommended to consult a doctor before you book a test.
Does MFine provide result interpretation along with the reports?
Yes. MFine provides result interpretation along with the reports. Also, you will be able to avail a free doctor consultation after the lab test to understand your reports accurately. Our doctor will also advise and prescribe medicines if required based on the results.
Is the osmotic fragility test definitive?
The osmotic fragility test is a definitive test. If you want to assess the health of your red blood cells in the body, it is considered one of the accurate solutions.
What are other tests usually recommended along with the osmotic fragility test?
In order to confirm the deformity, the doctors may recommend several other blood tests and Genetic testing along with the fragility test.
What diseases can be detected through the osmotic fragility test?
The osmotic fragility test report may conclude the presence of hereditary disorders such as hereditary spherocytosis and thalassemia. Apart from these disorders, further processing of tests can also detect hemolytic anemia.
How can I download my osmotic fragility test report?
- Login to MFine
- Go to your profile
- Click Attachment and Reports
- Click Lab Report and download the same.
Are there any discount offers running on the osmotic fragility test in Pune?
Usually, you can avail of up to 50% discount on the osmotic fragility test through MFine. However, the discount and test price may vary based on lab partner and location.