Book HLA-B27 Test in Gurgaon
Select a Lab
Request a Call Back
How to book an HLA-B27 test in Gurgaon?
What is the HLA B27 test used for?
The test is used for patients who are suffering from autoimmune diseases. Your doctor may order you to undergo this test if he anticipates that you have ankylosing spondylitis or arthritis, which indicates you have the disorder of HLA B27. With the help of this test, the healthcare provider determines if the protein is present on the surface of white blood cells, which helps identify the body’s cells against the foreign substance. Once the cause of your problem is known, the doctor will be able to plan out treatment to relieve your symptoms.
What is included in the HLA B27 Test?
The HLA B27 test is a fairly simple and widely used technique for the diagnosis of autoimmune disorders. When you use the MFine app to schedule your tests, a lab professional will visit your home. Using the Mfine app to schedule a HLA B27 test saves the time and trouble of going to a medical lab and waiting for the process to begin. You can set a time for our lab technician to visit your home and collect the sample within your busy schedule. Everything about the HLA B27 test is covered, from collecting the sample to delivering the results.
Procedure for HLA B27 test
The HLA B27 test is conducted in a way similar to any other blood test. It does not require any additional preparation before the testing.
- A trained technician will draw a small amount of blood by inserting the needle into the vein.
- The collected blood sample will be transferred to a small vial or test tube. The sample will then be sent to a lab for further processing.
- While inserting a needle into the vein, slight pain may be experienced in the arm. However, the pain will reduce immediately. Some individuals may also experience redness and swelling at the needle insertion site.
- The procedure usually lasts for about 5-10 minutes.
Any drugs taken should always be disclosed during the consultation with the physician. In addition, if there is an additional necessity, the doctor will advise you beforehand.
How to prepare for HLA B27?
Since this is a blood test, no specific preparations are required. Based on the symptoms and health condition your treating doctor will advise this test. Once the results are ready, the doctor then plans the treatment after considering the test results. You would be required to follow through with the doctor’s guidelines when he asks you about your medical history and the medications you have been taking.
Things to consider after the HLA B27 test is complete
The following things need to be considered once the HLA B27 test is complete:
- Wear a bandage or apply pressure on the injection site with cotton for a specified period (unless you experience skin irritation at the puncture site).
- Avoid any strenuous activities and exercises that may cause bleeding.
- If you feel stiffness or bruising at the puncture site, dab an ice pack wrapped in a towel on your arm.
If you experience any worrisome symptoms, call and consult the doctor or contact the support team.
What types of infection can the HLA B27 test detect?
The HLA-B27 test is used to help confirm or establish a suspected diagnosis of ankylosing spondylitis (AS), juvenile rheumatoid arthritis (JRA), reactive arthritis, or anterior uveitis. In the vast majority of instances, the reason is unknown. However, in certain cases of reactive arthritis, there is a link between the development of the disease and prior infection with a microorganism such as Campylobacter, Chlamydia, Salmonella, and Yersinia. Similarities between the HLA-B27 antigen and antigens present on the surface of bacteria are said to cause the immune system to fight both the germ and the person’s own tissues, resulting in the autoimmune condition after the infection has resolved.
How much does the HLA B27 test cost?
HLA B27test is a potent test to figure out the proteins present on the surface of white blood cells. This helps the doctor understand the patient’s immune system so that he can devise a treatment plan that is suitable for him. The HLA B27 costs around 1000 to 1500 rupees, depending on the clinic.
Disclaimer: The value varies based on location, time, and your preferred lab partner.
How long does it take to get the results?
You can expect to get the results within 24 to 48 hours after the sample is collected. However, in some instances, depending on the location, medical advice, and preferred lab partner, it may take longer.
What do abnormal HLA B27 test results indicate?
This is a blood test done to see the protein present on the surface of the white blood cells. This protein is mandatory as it helps the body understand the difference between one’s own cell as well as the foreign substances. When the body is unable to determine this difference it so happens that it attacks its own cells, leading to autoimmune disorders like arthritis and spondylitis.
Disclaimer: Please consult with your doctor for interpreting the test reports.
Is the HLA B27 test a definite test?
The test is effective in determining the presence of protein on the surface of the white blood cells. The doctor will be able to understand if the patient is undergoing any autoimmune disorders leading to his present problems. Following the guidelines of the doctor will further help in treating you.
How to read the HLA B27 test report?
The findings of the test may differ based on your age, biological sex, medical history, the method utilised for testing, and other factors. Your test results might not indicate that you have a problem. Inquire with your doctor about what your test findings signify for you.
A negative test result indicates that you do not have Hla- B 27 in your blood. A positive result indicates that HLA B27 was detected in your blood. Certain autoimmune disorders, such as ankylosing spondylitis and reactive arthritis, may be more common in you. If you require a tissue or organ transplant and the HLA antigens don’t match those of the donor, your body may reject the graft.
Why book the HLA B27 test?
Your doctor may recommend this test to further identify the cause of joint pain, stiffness, or swelling. If your doctor suspects you have ankylosing spondylitis or another autoimmune disease, he may ask you to take his test. Ankylosing spondylitis can cause back, neck, and chest discomfort and stiffness. This category of arthritis includes the following conditions:
- Ankylosing spondylitis
- Arthritis related to Crohn disease or ulcerative colitis
- Psoriatic arthritis (arthritis associated with psoriasis)
- Reactive arthritis
- Sacroiliitis (inflammation of the sacroiliac joint)
A HLA antigen test might also be needed if you are having an organ or tissue transplant. This might be a kidney transplant or bone marrow transplant. The donor’s HLA antigens must match yours for the transplant to be successful.
HLA B27 test at home – how does it work?
The HLA B27 test is just like any other blood test. A lab technician visits your home when you book your tests through the MFine app. The lab technician first cleans the arm and then inserts a syringe into a vein. The required amount of blood is then taken into a vial. The lab technician then removes the needle and places cotton wool or a bandage over the prick.
Are there any risks involved with the HLA B27 test?
When blood is extracted, some people may feel uncomfortable. During the test, you may experience pain at the puncture site, as well as slight soreness or throbbing later. The HLA-B27 test has very little side effects. The following are the risks associated with all blood tests:
- Collecting a sample is challenging, resulting in many needle prick
- there may be some blood at the puncture location
- In rare cases, a hematoma or an infection at the site of the puncture
However such complications are relatively rare. Most of the symptoms may pass after a few minutes of sitting. It may also be beneficial to eat a snack. Using an alcohol swab before the test prevents any chance of any infection at the site later. If you have a bruise, apply a cold compress to the area.
What can affect the results for HLA B27?
The findings of the HLA B27 test can be influenced by a variety of factors. These can result in either falsely negative or falsely positive results. The following are some of the major elements that might affect the testing results:
- Any contamination to the collected blood sample might alter the test result.
- Cross-reactivity of HLA B27 monoclonal antibodies (mAbs) with some other type of HLA-B antigens may also result in faulty test results.
- Taking certain medications – Make sure your doctor is aware of all the medications you’re taking.
- Radiation and chemotherapy.
- A recent history of blood transfusion in the last 6 months.
Why book an HLA-B27 test?
- The HLA-B27 test is required to detect a specific antigen in your WBC or leukocytes. Your healthcare requires this test to confirm the presence of the HLA-B27 antigen in your body.
- In some cases, the HLA-B27 test is needed when your doctor suspects autoimmune disease, but the characteristic traits don't show on your X-ray reports.
- They may ask you for the HLA-B27 test if you are experiencing symptoms of acute joint pain, swelling or stiffness of the spine, chest, or neck, inflammation of the eyes.
For further assistance
Popular Health Packages
What does the HLA-B27 test measure?
- The HLA-B27 test measures the level of the HLA-B27 antigen on the white blood cell's surface.
- The combination of HLA antigens depends on the genetic structure of a person. In general, the conditions related to the HLA-B27 antigen are chronic. It is mainly found in men than in women. The HLA-B27 antigen contributes to the dysfunction of the immune system in your body.
- A positive test result with the appropriate symptoms may indicate autoimmune disorders in your body. For instance, this antigen strongly relates to the autoimmune disease Ankylosing Spondylitis.
What Preparation is needed for an HLA-B27 test?
- You don't need any special preparation for the HLA-B27 blood test. However, your healthcare provider will notify you about the prerequisites of the test, if any.
- Usually, there is no need to fast to undergo this test.
- But, if some other tests are to be done along with the HLA-B27 test, you may need to fast for 8-12 hours before the commencement of the test.
- Additionally, inform your doctor about any medications and medical history before the tests as a precautionary measure.
What happens to your test sample?
What do abnormal results indicate?
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I avail myself of an at-home sample collection in Gurgaon?
Yes. MFine app offers at-home sample collection facilities in various parts of Gurgaon. A certified phlebotomist will collect the samples from your location at your preferred time slot. This doorstep facility offered by MFine will help you get tested in the comfort of your home.
What is the cost of the HLA-B27 Test in Gurgaon?
The cost of the HLA-B27 test in various parts of Gurgaon lies between Rs. 1152 to Rs. 2460. However, the price usually varies based on the infrastructure and the equipment used for the test. For example, the charges in the laboratories associated with hospitals will be different from that of the private laboratories.
I stay in Bangalore. Can I book the HLA-B27 test for my mother staying in Gurgaon?
The MFine app lets you book the HLA-B27 test for your family and relatives who stay in different cities. Select the preferred city and time slot and book the HLA-B27 test for your family. Additionally, you can avail a hassle-free doorstep sample collection facility with the help of the MFine app.
How can I reschedule my appointment for the HLA-B27 test?
The MFine app makes it easy for you to reschedule your appointment for the HLA-B27 test. This app’s user-friendly interface gives you a quick option to change your time slot. You can choose your preferred date and time during rescheduling. The samples will be collected within the allotted time window.
Is the lab technician coming for the HLA-B27 test sample collection vaccinated?
Yes. Our lab technicians are fully vaccinated. Further, they also ensure safety throughout by wearing a mask and using a sanitiser and gloves during sample collection.
When is the HLA-B27 test recommended?
Usually, an HLA-B27 test is required to diagnose bone degeneration, autoimmune disorders, and inflammation of the bones in your body. The healthcare provider will recommend the HLA-B27 test if you experience symptoms of
- Bone degeneration
- Inflammation of the urethra
- Stiffness or swelling in the neck, spine, or chest
- Inflammation of the eyes
- Chronic or acute joint pain.
Is a prescription required to book an HLA-B27 test?
- Your doctor must know what symptoms you have before ordering the HLA-B27 test.
- Therefore, it is advised to consult them before booking the test. The physician should also know about your medical history to prescribe the test.
- Pregnant women must undergo the HLA-B27 test as per the doctor’s prescription.
Does MFine provide result interpretation along with the reports?
Yes. MFine provides result interpretation along with the reports. Also, you will be able to avail a free doctor consultation after the lab test to understand your reports accurately. Our doctor will also advise and prescribe medicines based on the results.
Is the HLA-B27 test definitive?
The HLA-B27 test is not definitive.
What other tests are usually recommended along with the HLA-B27 test?
Your doctor may prescribe other tests with the HLA-B27 test to confirm autoimmune disease diagnosis in your body. These tests include
- Urine test
- C-reactive protein to look for inflammation
- Erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) to detect inflammation in your body.
- Joint X-Rays or MRI
What diseases can be detected through the HLA-B27 test?
The most common diseases related to the HLA-B27 antigen in your body are
- Ankylosing spondylitis
- Reactive arthritis
- Anterior uveitis
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Juvenile idiopathic arthritis
- Isolated peripheral enthesitis
- Sacroiliitis associated with psoriasis
- Inflammatory bowel disease.
How can I download my HLA-B27 test report?
- Log in to MFine
- Go to your profile
- Click Attachment and Reports
- Click Lab Report and download the same
Are there any discount offers running on HLA-B27 tests in Gurgaon?
Usually, you can avail of up to 50% discount on HLA-B27 tests through MFine. However, the discount and test price may vary based on lab partner and location.