CA-125 test in Chennai
Request a Call Back
How to Book A CA-125 test in Chennai?
What is the CA 125 test used for?
A CA 125 test may be recommended by a doctor for a variety of reasons, including:
- To keep track of cancer treatment: If one has ovarian, endometrial, peritoneal, or fallopian tube cancer, doctors may advise to get a CA 125 test done on a regular basis to evaluate progress and response to treatment.
However, such surveillance has not been proved to improve the fate of ovarian cancer patients and may result in additional and unneeded rounds of chemotherapy or other treatments.
- If one is at high risk for ovarian cancer: If one has a significant family history of ovarian cancer or the BRCA1 or BRCA2 gene mutation, doctors may advise a CA 125 test as a method of screening for ovarian cancer.
For patients at very high risk, some clinicians may prescribe CA 125 testing in conjunction with transvaginal ultrasound every six months.
Some patients with ovarian cancer, however, may not have an elevated CA 125 level. Furthermore, there is no evidence that CA 125 screening reduces the risk of dying from ovarian cancer. An increased CA 125 level may encourage the doctor to subject the patient to needless and even hazardous tests.
To screen for a recurrence of cancer: Rising CA 125 levels may suggest that ovarian cancer has returned following the treatment. Regular CA 125 monitoring has not been proved to enhance outcomes in ovarian cancer patients but they may help in monitoring the prognosis.
What is included in the CA 125 test?
This test is used to detect the presence of a protein known as CA-125 (cancer antigen 125) in the blood. CA 125 is an antigenic tumour marker that is often expressed by ovarian epithelial neoplasms as well as other tissues such as endometrial, fallopian tube, pleura, peritoneum, and pericardium cells.
CA 125 is a tumour marker that is a critical component in the preoperative evaluation of patients with an adnexal mass suspected of being ovarian cancer. Eighty percent of patients with ovarian epithelial carcinoma have an increased CA 125 level and the levels are maintained post-treatment to detect disease prognosis. The use of CA 125 for preoperative assessment is more helpful in postmenopausal women than in premenopausal women.
Procedure for CA 125 test
A CA-125 blood test involves drawing a tiny amount of blood from a vein in the arm following these steps:
- First, a healthcare worker will use an antiseptic to clean and disinfect the area.
- They’ll then place an elastic band over your upper arm, causing your veins to expand with blood.
- Once they’ve located a vein, they’ll carefully insert the needle into it. The blood will be collected in a tiny tube linked to the needle.
- After drawing enough blood, they will withdraw the needle and cover the puncture site to stop any excess bleeding.
- After that, the blood sample will be sent to a laboratory for analysis.
- Once the laboratory has received your results, your doctor will schedule a consultation with you to go over them.
How to prepare for the CA 125 test?
A CA-125 blood test requires no specific preparation.
Things to consider after the CA 125 test is complete
Consult your doctor once the test results are available and he or she will recommend treatment based on the results. Please do not attempt to self-diagnose.
How much does the CA 125 test cost?*
Depending on your preferred area of testing, the CA 125 test may cost anywhere between Rs.199/- to Rs.1200/-
*Disclaimer: The value varies based on location, time, and your preferred lab partner.
How long does it take to get the results for the CA 125 test?
You can expect to get the results for the CA 125 test within 24 to 48 hours after the sample is collected. However, in certain cases, depending on the location, medical advice, and preferred lab partner, it may take longer.
What do abnormal CA 125 test results indicate?
If you are not being treated for ovarian cancer and your CA-125 levels are high (above 35 units per milliliter), this could be a symptom of cancer. However, it could also be a symptom for a noncancerous disorder, such as:
- Endometriosis – a condition in which tissue that grows properly inside the uterus starts growing outside the uterus. It can be excruciatingly uncomfortable. It may also make it more difficult to conceive.
- Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) – an infection of the reproductive organs in women. It’s typically caused by a sexually transmitted disease like gonorrhea or chlamydia.
- Uterine fibroid – noncancerous uterine growths.
- Illness of the liver
If you are not being treated for ovarian cancer and your CA-125 levels are high, you should consult your doctor for an explanation of any aberrant results.
Disclaimer: Please consult your doctor to interpret the test reports.
Is CA 125 a definitive test?
CA 125 is not a definitive test.
CA-125 is an ovarian cancer biomarker that frequently increases in the blood of people who may have the condition. It is critical to realize that, while the CA-125 blood test is beneficial for detecting and monitoring women with ovarian cancer, it is not an accurate diagnostic tool on its own. Unfortunately, there is no single, accurate diagnostic blood test for detecting and diagnosing ovarian cancer.
CA-125 is not used to diagnose cancer because it misses half of the early malignancies and can be increased by benign illnesses such as diverticulitis, endometriosis, liver cirrhosis, pregnancy, and uterine fibroid.
How to read the CA 125 report?
CA 125 has a typical range of 0 to 35 units/ml. A CA 125 level of 35 or higher may signal cancer, but it does not always mean the person has cancer. A CA 125 level greater than 35 is simply a possible signal.
- If a woman has not previously been diagnosed with ovarian cancer, high levels indicate that additional testing is required to make a diagnosis.
- If a woman has previously been treated for ovarian cancer and her CA 125 levels are high, it may indicate that cancer has returned. To diagnose recurrence of ovarian cancer, additional testing would be required.
|CA 125 Level (units/ml)||Potential Inference|
|0-35 (normal)||It’s unlikely that you have cancer. It indicates no cancer 99 percent of the time.|
|>35 (high)||Cancer is a possibility. More testing will be required for a proper diagnosis.|
Why book CA 125 test?
If you are going to begin ovarian cancer therapy, your doctor may perform a CA-125 test. The test will assist them in determining how aggressive your tumor is today and after treatment. This will provide an excellent indication of how well your treatment is working. This test may be repeated multiple times during your ovarian cancer treatment.
If you are at high risk of developing ovarian cancer, your doctor may advise you to get the CA-125 blood test done as well as a transvaginal ultrasound frequently. CA-125 values are elevated in 80 percent or more of ovarian cancer patients.
CA 125 test at home – how does it work?
The CA 125 test is just like any other blood test. A lab technician visits your home when you book your tests through the MFine app. The lab technician first cleans the arm and then inserts a syringe into a vein. The required amount of blood is then taken into a vial. The lab technician then removes the needle and places cotton wool or a bandage over the prick.
Are there any risks involved with CA 125?
A CA-125 blood test is a relatively safe technique. The dangers of the test are the same as those of any blood tests like bruising on the needle prick area, infection (not common) and fainting as a result of blood loss (not common).
What can affect the results for CA 125?
CA-125 readings above a certain threshold may not always indicate the existence of ovarian cancer or any other type of disease. CA-125 levels may be increased as a result of other medical problems, such as
- Fibroid in the uterus
- Endometriosis-Related Pelvic Inflammatory Illness
- Liver Disease
- Ruptured Ovarian Cyst
- Effect of some cancer medicines and surgeries.
You should talk to your doctor about your individual results to see if additional testing is necessary.
Why Book the CA-125 test?
- CA-125 is a test that can be used for various reasons; mainly, it is used to screen ovarian cancer.
- A CA-125 test is performed to diagnose ovarian cancer and treat it before it gets mature, as getting rid of these cancers in the advanced stages may be difficult. The test can detect the development or recurrence of cancer in patients. It is vital for patients to take the CA-125 test at fixed intervals to detect any possibilities of cancer. You can book an instant meeting on MFine for the CA-125 test in Chennai right away.
For further assistance
Popular Health Packages
What does the CA-125 test measure?
What Preparation is Needed for theCA-125 test?
- There are no specific preparations or precautions to take prior to the test. You may become irritable during the collection of blood samples, but the process takes just 10 to 20 minutes. You can take any past CA-125 test results with you and inform your doctor of the results and medications of your previous treatment. In addition, you can wear half-sleeved clothing to make sampling more convenient.
- Disclaimer: You can contact your doctor before the test for any specific preparations and practices for processing conveniently.
What Happens to Your Test Sample?
What do Abnormal Results Indicate?
- The CA-125 test detects CA proteins (cancer antigen) in the blood; levels of CA protein less than 35 units/ml are deemed as normal. On the other hand, higher levels indicate the presence of cancer in the body.
- The abnormal outcomes of the CA-125 test can detect not only cancers but also pelvic inflammatory diseases, uterine fibroid, liver infections, and other non-cancerous conditions.
- Aside from that, abnormal CA-125 test results can also predict pregnancy in women. You can immediately schedule a CA-125 test in Chennai on the MFine app.
- Disclaimer: It has been advised to always consult with your doctor to interpret the test reports.
Frequently Asked Questions | FAQs
Can I avail at-home sample collection in Chennai?
Yes, you can use your device to schedule at-home sample collection for various lab tests. You should choose your best day and time window for ease. With the MFine app, you can easily schedule a CA-125 test in Chennai at your desired labs.
What is the cost of the CA-125 test in Chennai?
There are various modern laboratories in Chennai, each with its own way of testing and pricing. In Chennai, the CA-125 test can be booked with a price anywhere between 199 and 1200 rupees.
I stay in Kolkata, can I book the CA-125 test for my mother staying in Chennai?
Yes, you may easily arrange a CA-125 test for your mother or any other family member who lives far away using the MFine app.
How can I reschedule my appointment for CA-125 sampling?
You will get the option of rescheduling the sample collection date and time once you arrange a CA-125 sample test. You can simply reschedule your appointment by giving a flexible date and time slot on the MFine app.
Is the lab technician coming for CA-125 test sample collection vaccinated?
Yes. Our lab technicians are fully vaccinated. Further, they also ensure safety by wearing a mask, gloves and frequently sanitizing themselves during the sample collection.
When is the CA-125 test recommended?
Clinicians recommend patients CA-125 test to patients who experience cancer symptoms such as muscle cramps, drowsiness, acidosis, alkalosis, muscle pain, digestion, or respiratory issues to get rid of it in the early stage. Get your CA-125 test done today from your desired lab in Chennai.
Is a prescription required to book a CA-125 test?
No, you do not need any doctor’s prescription to schedule a CA-125 test. You should undergo a CA-125 test if you have any ovarian cancer symptoms. MFine provides same-day appointments at any lab in Chennai.
Does MFine provide result interpretation along with the reports?
Yes, in addition to reporting, MFine offers result interpretation. After the lab test, you will have the chance to meet with a doctor for a free consultation to ensure that you understand your results completely. Our doctor may make recommendations and perhaps prescribe drugs based on the results.
Is the CA-125 test a definitive test?
No, CA-125 is an ovarian cancer indicator that typically rises in the blood of those who are at risk for the disease. While the CA-125 blood test can aid in the diagnosis and monitoring of ovarian cancer in women; it’s crucial to keep in mind that it cannot diagnose cancer effectively; there is no unique, trustworthy diagnostic blood test for the identification and diagnosis of ovarian cancer.
What are other tests usually recommended along with the CA-125 test?
Doctors strongly advise patients with ovarian cancer to get a TVUS (Transvaginal ultrasound) test and a CT scan (to prevent recurrence), as well as a revision of a CA-125 test.
What diseases can be detected through the CA-125 test?
Apart from ovarian cancer, the CA-125 test is also used to determine pregnancy in women and many other diseases. Some prevalent diseases are mentioned below:
- Liver infections
- Uterine fibroid
How can I download my CA-125 test report?
- Login to MFine
- Go to your profile
- Click Attachment and Reports
- Click Lab Report and download the same.
Are there any discount offers running on the CA-125 test in Chennai?
Usually, you can avail of up to 50% discount on the CA-125 test through MFine. However, the discount and test price may vary based on lab partner and location.