Diet & Nutrition Last updated on 2022-03-10 11:51:01
How Many Calories in Chicken? Breast, Thigh, Wing and More
- Dt. Parvathy Menon
- 3 Min Read
- Fact Checked
Chicken is one of the best food options when it comes to lean protein as this packs a considerable amount of calories into a single serving without a lot of fat. The chicken comes in different cuts, including breasts, thighs, wings and drumsticks. Each cut contains a different number of calories and different proportions of protein to fat. Chicken calories can vary depending on the part, the way it is cooked, the size, and whether it is with or without skin. Chicken is a good source of protein and even provides important micronutrients i.e. selenium and iron. Let us take a look at the nutrition facts for different parts of chicken!
(1) How many calories (kcal) are there in a whole Chicken?Whole chicken means chicken with its thighs, wings, breast and even in some cases giblets. A whole chicken contains approximately 239 kcal, 27 g of protein, 0 g of carbohydrate and 13.5g of fats. You could incorporate whole chicken into your diet in the form of chicken salad, chicken stew, grilled chicken or even as a filling for your rolls/wraps
(2) What is the amount of calories (kcal) in Chicken Breast?Chicken breast is one of the most popular cuts of chicken and this is even rich in proteins and low in fat thus making it an excellent choice for people trying to lose weight. Skinless, boneless, chicken breast (100 grams raw weight) has a different nutritional breakdown, with 168 kcal, 22g protein, 0 g Carbs and 9g of fat. Most of the calories in chicken breast come from protein, and the remaining from fat. Cooked chicken breast has an increased amount of total calories, whereas fried chicken breast has a calorie content of 220 kcal, grilled chicken breast 165 kcal, and boiled chicken breast 150 kcals.
(3) How many calories (kcal) does a Chicken Thigh have?A chicken thigh is tender and is more flavorful and cheaper when compared to chicken breast. The skinless, boneless cooked chicken thigh of around 100 grams has around 200 kcal, 18 g of proteins and 10.9 g of fat. Here, 53% of calories come from protein and the rest 47% comes from fat.
(4) What about calories in Chicken Wings?Chicken wings are yet another popular food and are served as starters in parties/ restaurants. These have the highest amount of calories when compared to other cuts of chicken. Chicken wings are mostly served grilled or fried and are rich in fat. The calories vary according to the way this is cooked. A fried small chicken wing with the skin devoid of any dressings or sauce usually contains 81 kcal, whereas the one without skin contains 34 kcals. A fried small chicken wing with skin and dressings or sauce contains 159 kcals. 100 g of the chicken wing contains approximately 203 kcals, with 64% protein and 36% fat.
(5) How many calories (kcal) does a Chicken Drumstick have?Chicken legs are made of two parts i.e. thighs and drumstick. Drumstick is the lower portion of the chicken leg. One skinless boneless drumstick of 44 grams contains about 76kcal, 12.4 g protein and 2.5 g fat. The calorie count of chicken drumsticks come from 70% protein and 30% fat.
(6) Calories in other cuts of chicken?Other than breasts, wings, and legs there are other cuts of chicken too. Let us take a quick glimpse of the same. There is approximately 263 kcal in chicken tenders, 125 kcal in dark meat and 114 kcals in light meat.
(7) How does the skin affect the calories of chicken?Some parts of the chicken, such as the chicken breast come without skin. The skin adds more calories and even fat to the chicken pieces. People who would like to reduce their weight must remove the skin before or after cooking. Individuals must keep in mind that, it is always important to incorporate the right amount of fat and calories into the diet. Individuals must develop healthy eating habits so as to keep a watch on their weight.
Conclusion:Chicken is one of the healthiest meat and each piece is less in calories and fat and also high in good quality protein. Chicken is a great lean protein source that can be easily cooked and comes with loads of health benefits too. So let the chicken be an integral part of your diet! Consult a Dietician: Experts for Food Management & Nutrition Now!
Request a Call Back
Consult a Dietitian
Check out these videos
Symptoms of PCOS in Females
Covaxin and Covishield | Latest Updates
Difference Between COVID and Pneumonia
Who are Susceptible to Heart Attack?
Was this article helpful?
- 0 0
- Symptoms of PCOS in Females
Love reading our articles?
Subscribe to never miss a post again!