Vitamin B12 tests can be done either alone or with other blood tests. Doctors usually suggest these tests when there is a health condition known as megaloblastic anaemia. When the absorption of vitamin B12 is poor, which can be due to a condition called pernicious anaemia. This is a form of megaloblastic anaemia.
Vitamin B12 test is also used when there are symptoms related to the nervous system. If the B12 levels are low in the body and you may experience numbness or tingling in the hands and feet, loss of balance, and weakness.
The following are the other reasons why the test is used:
- To monitor the nerve abnormalities such as peripheral neuropathy.
- When there is a problem with balance.
- If there are complaints of weakness and loss of appetite.
- To detect dementia, that is a problem with the memory function.
- To understand the cause of mouth ulcers.