Vitamin B12 TestDr.Sreelekha DaruvuriLast Updated on 28th October 2021
Table of contents
Request a Call Back
What is the Vitamin B12 Test Used For?
Vitamin B12 tests can be done either alone or with other blood tests. Doctors usually suggest these tests when there is a health condition known as megaloblastic anaemia. When the absorption of vitamin B12 is poor, which can be due to a condition called pernicious anaemia. This is a form of megaloblastic anaemia.
Vitamin B12 test is also used when there are symptoms related to the nervous system. If the B12 levels are low in the body and you may experience numbness or tingling in the hands and feet, loss of balance, and weakness.
The following are the other reasons why the test is used:
- To monitor the nerve abnormalities such as peripheral neuropathy.
- When there is a problem with balance.
- If there are complaints of weakness and loss of appetite.
- To detect dementia, that is a problem with the memory function.
- To understand the cause of mouth ulcers.
What is included in a Vitamin B12 Test?
Vitamin B12 is also known as cobalamin. With the help of this test, the amount of B12 in the body is measured. These test results will help in diagnosing anaemia and defects related to the nervous system.
Vitamin B12 Test Procedure
- The vitamin B12 test procedure includes the collection of blood samples.
- The lab technician will insert the needle into your vein for the collection of the blood.
- Once enough sample is collected, the needle is removed from the vein.
- The part from where the sample is collected will be covered by a bandaid.
- The test sample is then sent to the lab for further testing.
How to Prepare for the Vitamin B12 Test?
|Before test||During test|
|It is not mandatory to fast for 8-10 hours before the test.||There might be slight pain and bruising on the arm from where the blood is collected. However, these symptoms will go away quickly|
Things to consider after the Vitamin B12 Test is completed.
- After the vitamin B12 test is completed, you can have any type of food.
- Once the test results are obtained, depending on the range of vitamin B12 in your body, the doctor will prescribe the required medications.
- Most of the time, vitamin B12 deficiency can be treated by improving the diet. Including vitamin B12 foods such as meat, seafood, dairy products, eggs, and poultry can help in improving the deficiency.
- Another way to improve the deficiency is by consuming supplements. However, if any nerve damage has happened due to the deficiency, it could be permanent.
What type of infections can a Vitamin B12 test detect?
With the help of a vitamin B12 test, pernicious anaemia or trouble in absorbing vitamin B12 can be detected. This is the condition in which the red blood cells do not seem to be healthy. The overall health of red blood cells is dependent on this vitamin. When there is a lack of vitamin B12, the red blood cells do not grow fully. The main function of red blood cells is to carry oxygen to all parts of the body. Therefore, deficiency of vitamin B12 leads to anaemia. When a person becomes anaemic, it leads to susceptibility to infections but as such vitamin B12 test does not detect any infections.
How much does the Vitamin B12 Test Cost?
The prices of the test vary from city to city. However, the starting price is between ₹250 and ₹450. From the below table, you can book the test:
|City Name||Starting Price|
|Book Vitamin B12 Test in Bangalore||₹ 280|
|Book Vitamin B12 Test in Hyderabad||₹ 307|
|Book Vitamin B12 Test in Kolkata||₹ 455|
|Book Vitamin B12 Test in Delhi||₹ 277|
|Book Vitamin B12 Test in Chennai||₹ 455|
|Book Vitamin B12 Test in Mumbai||₹ 455|
|Book Vitamin B12 Test in Noida||₹ 277|
|Book Vitamin B12 Test in Gurgaon||₹ 277|
|Book Vitamin B12 Test in Pune||₹ 455|
How long does it take to get Vitamin B12 Test Results?
Once the test samples are collected, it is sent to the lab of your choice for further testing. After the testing is completed, the vitamin B12 test results will be available on the app for download within the next 24-48 hours.
Is Vitamin B12 a Definitive Test?
Yes, vitamin B12 is a definitive test as it is used for diagnosing if B12 deficiency is the cause of anaemia or neuropathy.
How to read the Vitamin B12 Blood Test Report?
The following table explains the vitamin B12 levels in an adult along with the ranges and units. Depending on the range, the doctors will get to know if the patient is having a normal, or high or low levels of vitamin B12 in the blood.
|Vitamin B12 levels in adults||Range||Unit (picograms per millilitre)|
|Normal values||Between 190 and 950||pg/mL|
|High values||Above 900||pg/mL|
|Low values||Below 200||pg/mL|
What affects the Vitamin B12 Test Results?
Methylmalonic acid and homocysteine can affect the test results. As the methylmalonic acid increases, vitamin B12 levels decrease. The change in the level of homocysteine affects vitamin B12 as there will be a change in the metabolism.
Why book Vitamin B12 Test
- Vitamin B12 test is required for the detection of anaemia or neuropathy that are related to vitamin B12 deficiency. It is also used for the determination of vitamin B12 levels in the body.
Where to get the Vitamin B12 Test done?
Book Vitamin B12 Test online from certified lab partners in your city through the MFine app and get the test done at home.
Certified Lab Partners of MFine for Vitamin B12 Test
How to avail Vitamin B12 Test
For further assistance
Frequently Asked Questions - FAQs
Can we conduct a vitamin B12 test at home?
Yes, the test can be done at home.
My vitamin B12 test result shows 135 picograms per millilitre. What does it mean?
If the test result shows 135 picograms per millilitre, that means the level of vitamin B12 in the body is low. This could be due to the lack of vitamin B12 absorption. Whatever the reason, it is advised to visit a doctor for a better interpretation of the test results.
What are the symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency?
Weakness, feeling fatigued, breathlessness, disturbed vision, and pale skin are some of the common symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency.
Are vitamin B12 and folate deficiencies the same?
Vitamin B12 and folate (also known as folic acid) are the two different B complex vitamins. Vitamin B12 is present in eggs, milk, fish, etc. Whereas folates are present in citrus fruits, fruits, and vegetables, and dry beans. Both the vitamins are required in metabolic reactions. However, both the deficiencies are not the same.
What happens once the vitamin B12 test results are available?
After downloading the test results, an experienced doctor will contact you and will take you through the test results. Depending on the levels of vitamin B12, supplements or medications will be prescribed.
Who should take the vitamin B12 test?
If you are someone experiencing palpitations, a sensation of pins and needles, mouth ulcers, pale skin, etc, you should get the test done.
What happens once I get my vitamin B12 test results?
Once the reports are available on the MFine app, an experienced doctor will consult you with your report and will explain the ranges of vitamin B12 present in your body. Based on the test results, the doctor will prescribe medications.
- Cobalamin (vitamin B12) Deficiency: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6543499/
- Recognition and management of Vitamin B12 deficiency: https://www.aafp.org/afp/2017/0915/p384.html
- High serum vitamin B12 levels: https://academic.oup.com/qjmed/article/106/6/505/1538806