Book Venereal Disease Research Laboratory (VDRL) Test in Hyderabad
Request a Call Back
What is the process to book a VDRL Blood Test in Hyderabad?
What is the VDRL test used For?
VDRL test is used to check for the presence of syphilis. Treponema pallidum is the organism that causes syphilis. If you have signs and symptoms of a sexually transmitted illness, your doctor may recommend this test (STI).
What is Syphilis?
Syphilis is a bacterial infection that causes a sexually transmitted disease. Contact with an infected individual can transfer the virus by oral, vaginal, or anal routes. Direct touch with syphilis sore can also spread it. Treponema pallidum is the organism that causes syphilis. Primary syphilis, secondary syphilis, and tertiary syphilis are the three phases of syphilis.
What is the purpose of the VDRL test?
The purpose of this test is to detect syphilis antibodies in the body. This aids in the detection of syphilis infection. This test is performed if you are at risk of contracting syphilis, such as if you have a sexual partner who has the disease, if you have other STDs such as gonorrhoea, chlamydia, or HIV infection, if you have many sexual contacts, if you are pregnant, and so on. This test may be indicated if you have symptoms such as a sore (chancre) in the vaginal region or on the throat, an itchless reddish-brown rash on the palms and soles of your feet, fever, swollen lymph glands, bodily pains, and a sore throat.
VDRL test procedure?
The VDRL test checks for Syphilis in your blood.
- The VDRL test does not require an overnight fast.
- During the blood test, a phlebotomist will insert a needle into your vein to collect blood. Your blood sample will be collected in a vial or test tube and sent to the lab for further analysis. Like any blood test, you may feel a sting when the needle is injected into your arm, but the pain goes away immediately.
- A certified Lab Technician (LT) will analyze your blood sample using state of the art technology.
- Your blood report will be updated on the MFine app within the next 48 hours after blood sample collection.
How to prepare for the VDRL test?
|Before test||During test|
|It is not mandatory to fast for 8-10 hours before the test.||There might be slight pain and bruising on the arm from where the blood is collected. However, these symptoms will go away quickly|
Things to do after the VDRL test?
- Don’t use a bandage or tape to conceal the area.
- Take care not to scratch or rub it.
- Use a cool cloth on the irritated spot if it itches.
- You can wash and dry your arm gently.
When is VDRL Test Done?
If a person exhibits signs and symptoms of a sexually transmitted infection, a test is conducted. It’s a simple test that’s done during pregnancy to see if you’re at risk of contracting syphilis.
The following are examples of possible symptoms:
- A minor sore that causes no discomfort.
- Swelling of the lymph nodes in the region of the sore
- A rash on the skin that does not itch.
What happens if a VDRL test results in a positive result?
If you have a positive test result, you may have syphilis. If the test is positive, an FTA-ABS test, which is a more specific syphilis test, should be used to confirm the results. The ability of the VDRL test to identify syphilis is dependent on the disease’s stage.
How long does it take to get the VDRL test results?
Once the test samples are collected, it is sent to the lab of your choice for further testing. After the testing is completed, the VDRL test results will be available on the app for download within the next 24-48 hours.
Is the VDRL test a definitive test?
VDRL is not a definitive test but an indicative test.
What are the risks of VDRL test?
Blood draws may result in:
- discomfort or soreness in the area of the injection
- rapid bruising or bleeding following the operation
How to read the test reports?
The reference range may differ depending on your gender, age, medical history, and current condition, among other factors.
If your VDRL test results are negative, it could mean that you are free of infection. Antibodies are not detectable for several weeks following bacterial contact. As a result, after a few weeks, repeat the test for confirmation.
If your test results come back positive, it’s possible that you have syphilis. HIV, pneumonia, TB, Lyme disease, malaria, systemic lupus erythematosus, IV drug usage, and other conditions might cause false-positive test findings.
If you receive unexpected test results, see your doctor right away. Depending on your situation, your doctor may suggest additional tests.
|MALE||All age groups||Antibodies are present in positive cases|
|FEMALE||All age groups||Antibodies are present in positive cases|
What affects the VDRL test results?
The ability of the VDRL test to identify syphilis is dependent on the disease’s stage. During the middle stages of the disease, the test’s sensitivity to detect syphilis approaches 100%; it is less sensitive during the early and later phases. A false-positive test can be caused by a variety of illnesses, including HIV/AIDS or it may be due to a person who produces antibodies that “fool” the syphilis test.
Why book a VDRL test in Hyderabad?
- The VDRL test helps determine VDRL the presence of syphilis. Treponema pallidum is the organism that causes syphilis. If you have signs and symptoms of a sexually transmitted illness, your doctor may recommend this test (STI).
For further assistance
Popular Health Packages in Hyderabad
What type of infections can a VDRL blood test detect?
Test Preparation for VDRL test?
What happens to your sample?
What do abnormal results indicate?
Blogs that you may be interested:
Frequently asked questions | FAQs
Can the VDRL test be done at home?
Yes, the VDRL test can be done at home where a lab technician comes home to pick up the blood sample and takes the blood sample to the lab to conduct the test.
What are the common side effects of the VDRL test?
VDRL test can cause minor side effects, such as headaches, bruising, and soreness near the injected site.
What can cause False-Positive of your VDRL test?
The below disease can cause a False-Positive:
- Lyme disease
- pneumonia (certain types only)
- systemic lupus erythematosus
- IV drug use
What are the stages of infection in syphilis?
The four stages of syphilis are:
How to prevent syphilis?
Practice safe sex to prevent syphilis. When having sexual contact, use condoms. In addition, it may be helpful to:
- Consider using a dental dam (a square piece of latex) or condoms during oral sex.
- Don’t share sex toys.
- Talk to your partner about the results of STI screenings.
Does having Syphilis mean I have HIV?
HIV infection rates among people with syphilis are significantly higher. So it is better to take precautions to prevent Syphilis.
Should I be tested for syphilis?
You are required to get yourself tested if you do any one of the following:
- have had condomless sex with someone who might have had syphilis
- If you are a sex worker
- have had condomless sex with multiple people
- are a man who has sex with men.
Can I avail at-home sample collection in Khairatabad, Hyderabad?
Yes, through the MFine mobile app, you can avail a VDRL blood test all from the comfort of your home. The MFine app also allows you to schedule online doctor consultations and order medications.
What is the cost of the VDRL Test in Hyderabad?
Depending upon the lab, a VDRL Test price starts at Rs. 90/- onwards in Hyderabad.