CA 19-9 Blood Test in Gurgaon
Select a Lab
Request a Call Back
How to Book A CA 19-9 Blood Test in Gurgaon?
How does the CA 19-9 Blood test work?
A blood test for CA 19-9 can be used to:
- Track the progress of pancreatic cancer treatment. As tumours shrink, the level of CA 19-9 drops.
- Ensure that cancer has not returned following treatment.
A test such as this may be used along with other tests like imaging studies to confirm the presence of gastrointestinal malignancies.
What is included in the CA 19-9 blood test?
If you’ve been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer or another form of cancer linked to high levels of CA 19-9, you may require a baseline CA 19-9 blood test. Bile duct cancer, colon cancer, and stomach cancer are among these malignancies.
Your doctor may test you on a regular basis to assess how effective your cancer therapy is. After your treatment is over, you may be checked to see if the cancer has returned.
Procedure for the CA 19-9 blood test
CA 19-9 levels can be assessed as part of a panel of biomarkers in a blood test to diagnose the illness early. Patients may also be eligible for the test if they have been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. If the CA 19-9 level was elevated prior to therapy, patients may be checked during and after treatment to determine whether or not the treatment was successful.
How to prepare for the CA 19-9 blood test?
This test does not require any preparation. Make sure your doctor is aware of all the medications, herbs, vitamins, and supplements you’re taking. This covers over-the-counter medications as well as any illegal substances you may be using.
Things to consider after the CA 19-9 blood test is complete
Consult your doctor once the test results are available, and the doctor will prescribe therapy based on the results. Please do not attempt to self-diagnose your medical problem.
What types of conditions can CA 19-9 blood test detect?
This test determines the quantity of CA 19-9 (carbohydrate antigen 19-9) protein in the blood. The tumour marker CA 19-9 is a sort of marker. Malignancy cells and normal cells both produce tumour markers in response to cancer in the body. CA 19-9 can be found in trace levels in the blood of healthy humans.
How much does the CA 19-9 blood test cost?
The average cost of CA 19-9 can be anywhere between Rs.600 to Rs.750. However, the cost might vary based on one’s location and the lab partner they choose for the test.
How long does it take to get the results for the CA 19-9 blood test?
You can expect to get the results for CA 19-9 blood tests within 24 to 48 hours after the sample is collected. However, in certain cases, depending on the location, medical advice and preferred lab partner, it may take longer.
What do abnormal CA 19-9 Blood test results indicate?
CA 19-9 levels that are too high are typically found in pancreatic cancer. High amounts, on the other hand, might occasionally signal other forms of cancer or certain non-cancerous illnesses, such as cirrhosis and gallstones. Because high levels of CA 19-9 might indicate a variety of things, the test isn’t used to screen for or diagnose cancer on its own.
Disclaimer: Please consult with your doctor for interpreting the test reports.
Is the CA 19-9 Blood test a definitive test?
As elevated levels of CA 19-9 might indicate a variety of things, the test isn’t used to screen for or diagnose cancer on its own. It can aid in the tracking of your disease’s progression and the efficacy of cancer treatment.
How to read the CA 19-9 Blood test report?
If you have pancreatic cancer or another form of cancer, you may be tested multiple times during your treatment. Your results may reflect the following after multiple tests:
Your CA 19-9 levels are rising. This might indicate that your tumour is developing and/or that your treatment isn’t working.
- Your CA 19-9 levels are dropping. This might indicate that your tumour is decreasing and that your therapy is effective.
- Your levels of CA 19-9 have not increased or decreased. This might indicate that your sickness is stable.
- Your CA 19-9 levels decreased, but then later increased. This may mean your cancer has come back after you’ve been treated.
CA 19-9 blood test at home – How does it work?
The CA 19-9 blood test is just like any other blood test. A lab technician visits your home when you book your tests through the MFine app. The lab technician first cleans the arm and then inserts a syringe into a vein. The required amount of blood is then taken into a vial. The lab technician then removes the needle and places cotton wool or a bandage over the prick.
Are there any risks involved with the CA 19-9 blood test?
Having a blood test carries relatively little risk. You may have little discomfort or bruising where the needle was inserted, but most symptoms fade rapidly.
What can affect the results for the CA 19-9 blood test?
Multiple mechanisms are responsible for the elevation of CA 19-9 in benign diseases. CA 19-9 can be elevated by inflammation, such as in pancreatitis, cholangitis, cystic fibrosis, liver disease etc.
Why Book the CA 19-9 Blood Test ?
- You may need a CA 19-9 blood test if you've been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer or other types of cancer-related to high levels of CA 19-9. These cancers include bile duct cancer, colon cancer, and stomach cancer. Your health care provider may test you on a regular basis to see if your cancer treatment is working.
For further assistance
Popular Health Packages
What does the CA 19-9 Blood Test measure?
What Preparation is Needed for the CA 19-9 Blood Test?
What Happens to Your Test Sample?
What do Abnormal Results Indicate?
- CA 19-9 measures a definite protein (i.e., cancer antigen 19-9) that acts as a tumour marker in the blood. It indicates predominantly the presence of pancreatic cancer or any other type of cancer. However, CA 19-9 test is always not definite, therefore, the interpretation of accurate results is often challenging. The normal range of CA 19-9 is defined to be 0-37 U/ml.
- High levels of CA 19-9 are indicative of pancreatic cancer. However, higher levels may also be a sign of cirrhosis or gallstone cancer.
- After the diagnosis and ongoing treatment for pancreatic cancer, a patient may be required to repeat the test several times during action. After repetitive tests, the results indicate:
- In Incase CA 19-9 is increasing: This indicates the tumour is growing or the current treatment therapy is not working.
- In Incase CA 19-9 level has not increased or decreased: This indicates that the disease is stable.
- CA 19-9 is decreasing: This indicates that the tumour is decreasing and the therapeutic regimen is working accurately.
- In Incase CA 19-9 levels have decreased and later increased: This indicates that cancer may have relapsed after treatment.
- In case there are no symptoms of cancer, yet the levels of CA 19-9 level are consistently high; this may indicate the prevalence of non-cancerous disorders. These include Pancreatitis, Gallstones, Liver disease or Cystic fibrosis, etc.
- Disclaimer: It has been advised to always consult with your doctor for interpreting the test reports.
Frequently Asked Questions | FAQs
Can I avail myself at-home sample collection in DLF Phase 2, Gurgaon?
Yes, the sample collection for various tests can be done at home. MFine makes it easier with a single click, where you can book a slot for a test without going anywhere. Your test results will be delivered to your doorstep.
What is the cost of the CA 19-9 test in Gurgaon?
The cost of pathological tests depends upon different laboratory infrastructures prevailing in the city. It is also dependent on the city and the laboratory facilities available in the laboratories. The approximate cost of the CA 19-9 test in Gurgaon is 700 INR per person.
I stay in Bangalore. Can I book CA 19-9 test for my father staying in Gurgaon?
Yes, book a CA 19-9 test for your relatives and old family members living in distant places with the help of the MFine app.
How can I reschedule my appointment for CA 19-9 test sample?
Rescheduling of appointments is easily possible through the MFine application. The application has an option to reschedule the sample collection date and time.
Is the lab technician coming for CA 19-9 sample collection vaccinated?
Our lab technicians are fully vaccinated. Further, they also ensure safety throughout by wearing a mask and using sanitiser and gloves during sample collection.
When is the CA 19-9 test recommended?
A CA 19-9 blood test is recommended to-
- Monitor pancreatic cancer and cancer treatment. CA 19-9 levels often go up as cancer spreads and go down as tumours shrink.
- See if cancer has returned after treatment.
The test is sometimes used with other tests to help confirm or rule out cancer.
Is a prescription required to book CA 19-9 test?
A prescription may be necessary before conducting CA 19-9 test. The doctor must mention the reason for conducting the test and the suspected underlying disease condition of the patient. This would enable the professional to conduct the test and attempt to provide results that are necessary for the accurate diagnosis of the disease. It also helps the doctors to predict the effectiveness of the ongoing treatment regimen.
Does MFine provide result interpretation along with the reports?
Yes. MFine provides result interpretation along with the reports. Also, you will be able to avail a free doctor consultation after the lab test to understand your reports accurately. Our doctor will also advise and prescribe medicines if required based on the results.
Is CA 19-9 test definitive?
The CA 19-9 test is neither a definitive test nor it is used as a reliable methodology for screening specific cancer. Elevated levels of CA 19-9 may indicate several outcomes, i.e., the prevalence of cancer or any other non-cancerous manifestations in the body. The test is, therefore, used to monitor the progress of the cancerous disorder and also predict the effectiveness of the cancer treatment.
What other tests are usually recommended along with the CA 19-9 test?
The overall sensitivity and specificity of CA 19-9 for detecting pancreatic cancer in symptomatic are regarded to be 82-90% in symptomatic patients. Apart from this test, the CA-125 test is regarded as a biomarker for the diagnosis of other forms of cancers, especially ovarian cancer. It is observed that abdominal computed tomography (CT) scan is also reliable to detect the prevalence of other malignant diseases in the body. In case of malignancy is absent, it is advisable to conduct short-term follow-up within a specified tenure.
What diseases can be detected through CA 19-9 test?
CA 19-9 test is used to diagnose pancreatic cancer and optimize cancer treatment for the patients. It helps to analyze cancer spread, distribution and assess the severity of malignancy.
How can I download my CA 19-9 test report?
- Login to MFine
- Go to your profile
- Click Attachment and Reports
- Click Lab Report and download the same
Are there any discount offers running on the CA 19-9 test in Gurgaon?
Usually, you can avail of up to 50% discount on CA 19-9 through MFine. However, the discount and test price may vary based on lab partner and location.