APTT test in Chennai
Select a Lab
Request a Call Back
How to book an APTT Test in Chennai?
What is the APTT test used for?
APTT test is used when patients have the following symptoms when they experience bleeding due to any injury and wound. APTT test is used when you have the below-mentioned condition:
- Abnormal or excessive bleeding during menstruation.
- Easy bruising.
- Clotting Time and Bleeding Time are abnormal.
- Recurrent petechial haemorrhages or pinkish-red spots (break opening of a blood vessel).
- Thrombocytopenia (a condition where a patient has very less blood platelets).
- Bleeding tendency.
- Before undergoing any surgery.
- Recurrent presence of blood in stool or urine.
Apart from these, there can be many reasons facilitating the APTT test.
What is included in the APTT test?
Based on the condition for taking the test, your doctor may advise you to take some additional tests with APTT. Some of the following tests that you may have to take with APTT to measure your blood clotting are:
- Thrombin time, also called TT
- Activated whole blood clotting time, also called ACT
- Prothrombin time, also called PT
Procedure for APTT test
A lab technician will come to you to collect the blood sample when you book a blood test through the MFine app. He will collect the sample at the time you schedule. The blood sample is collected from a vein in your arm. The sample is then sent to our accredited labs of your choice (made during the booking) for further processing. Certain drugs can affect the accuracy of the test, so inform your doctor about the medications you take.
After taking a blood sample from a vein in the patient’s arm, it is mixed with an anti coagulating medicine in normal tests. However, in the case of APTT, usage of anti coagulating medicine will affect the results. Thus, the sample is mixed with medicines that prevent clot formation like sodium citrate.
The sample taken was taken to the respective lab for processing for the test. The time it takes for forming a clot is calculated in seconds to minutes. The time varies based on age, health condition, and the medicine they use. Usually, it exceeds the normal range in the people who are taking blood-thinning medicine.
How to prepare for the APTT test?
Inform the doctor about your medications before taking the test.
There are no special precautions needed for this test. A lab technician will come to your home to collect the blood sample when you book for a test through the MFine app. He will collect the sample at the time you schedule.
Both men and women of all age categories can get this test done.
Things to consider after the APTT test is complete
A lab technician will come to your home to collect the blood sample from a vein in your arm when you book for a test through the MFine app. He will collect the sample at the time you schedule for the test. The sample is sent to our accredited labs of your choice (made during the booking) for further processing. You can return to your work after giving the sample.
How much does the APTT test cost?*
The cost of the APTT test varies based on the lab partner you use, time of the day, location. The cost varies based on the availability of the test ingredients. The test might have to be repeatedly taken when the patient is under treatment.
The test cost varies between Rs.60 to Rs.3100
*Disclaimer: The value varies based on location, time, and your preferred lab partner.
How long does it take to get the results for the APTT test?
The sample is sent to our accredited labs of your choice (made during the booking) for further processing. You can expect to get the results for the APTT test within 24 to 48 hours after the sample is collected. However, in certain cases, depending on the location, medical advice and preferred lab partner, it may take longer.
What do abnormal APTT test results indicate?
- Your test results depend on a number of factors like age, gender, a method used, equipment used, health history etc.
- If your blood activated clotting time is 70-120 sec, it is generally considered normal.
- If you take the medicine heparin, your blood clotting time will be around 150-600seconds.
- If your test level shows a higher level than normal, it may indicate that you may be suffering from liver disease, haemophilia, von Willebrand’s disease. It may also be due to a bleeding disorder. If your number is lower than normal, that may be the reason for having several miscarriages in women.
Disclaimer: Please consult with your doctor for interpreting the test reports.
Is the APTT test a definitive test?
No. APTT is not a definitive test. You may have to take other tests to confirm the results. Please consult your doctor after getting your reports. He may ask you to order other tests or to repeat the test if needed.
How to read the APTT test report?
The test is used to measure how many seconds your blood takes to form a clot. However, the standard normal level may vary with different labs, so it is better to consult your doctor to understand the results.
The normal value in a PTT is 60 to 70 seconds. But, this is an activated PTT (aPTT) test that measures blood clotting after adding a substance to your blood to make it clot faster. A typical APTT blood clotting time is 30 to 40 seconds.
If you get the test because you’re taking heparin, you’d want your PTT results to be more like 120 to 140 seconds, and your aPTT to be 60 to 80 seconds.
If your number is higher than normal, it may indicate that you are suffering from a bleeding disorder due to liver disease, haemophilia or others. If your number is lower than normal, that may be the reason for having several miscarriages in women.
If you have questions about your results, talk to your health care provider.
APTT test at home – how does it work?
The APTT test is just like any other blood test. A lab technician visits your home when you book your tests through the MFine app. The lab technician first cleans the arm and then inserts a syringe into a vein. The required amount of blood is then taken into a vial. The lab technician then removes the needle and places cotton wool or a bandage over the prick.
Are there any risks involved with the APTT test?
There is very little risk to having a blood test. You may have slight pain or bruise at the spot where the needle was put in, but most symptoms go away quickly.
What can affect the results of the APTT test?
- Some anti-blood-clotting medications may affect the results of this test. That includes heparin and large doses of warfarin. If you are taking these medicines, consult your doctor before taking the test. Your doctor may advise you to stop it for a few days before the test.
- The following conditions could also result in elevated levels of APTT
- Lupus anticoagulant (antiphospholipid syndrome)
- Heparin exposure.
- Haemophilia A and B (Factor VIII and IX deficiency respectively)
- Factor XII deficiency.
- Factor XI deficiency.
- Contact factor deficiency e.g. prekallikrein (not clinically important)
- Artefact (incorrect amount of blood in the tube)
Why book an APTT Test?
- APTT test determines the accuracy and specificity of the mechanistic pathways of the different clotting factors.
- It may also be used simultaneously with other tests to monitor the other clotting factors.
- The test also monitors the mechanisms of both intrinsic and extrinsic pathways.
For further assistance
Book APTT Test Near Me in Chennai | MFine
Book APTT Test Near Me in Chennai | MFine
What does the APTT test measure?
- The test is used to monitor the coagulation time for blood to form the clot.
- In case of a blood vessel rupture or damage, proteins in the blood known as clotting factors collect together to form a clot.
- This test is used to understand whether these clotting factors are functioning appropriately. It also monitors the functioning of the intrinsic and extrinsic pathways.
What Preparation is needed for the APTT Test?
What happens to your test sample?
What do abnormal results indicate?
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I avail myself of the home sample collection in Chennai?
Yes, the sample collection for various tests can be done at home. MFine makes it easier with a single click, where you can book a slot for a test without going anywhere. Your test results will be delivered to your doorstep.
What is the cost of the APTT test in Chennai?
The cost of pathological tests depends upon different laboratory infrastructures prevailing in the city. It is also dependent on the city and the laboratory facilities available in the laboratories. The approximate cost of the APTT test in Chennai begins at Rs. 200 per person.
I stay in Bangalore. Can I book an APTT test for my mother staying in Chennai?
Yes, you can easily book an APTT test for your relatives and old family members living in distant places with the help of the MFine app.
How can I reschedule my appointment for the APTT test sample?
Rescheduling of appointments is easily possible through the MFine application. The application has an option to reschedule the sample collection date and time.
Is the lab technician coming for APTT sample collection vaccinated?
Our lab technicians are fully vaccinated. Further, they also ensure safety throughout by wearing a mask and using a sanitiser and gloves during sample collection.
When is the APTT test recommended?
- An APTT test may be recommended in case the healthcare professional suspects any problems with one or more clotting factors.
- It has been observed that in case of any bleeding disorder, for instance, von Willebrand disease or any other disease, pose a negative impact on the clotting time. The respective test helps in monitoring any issues or diseases related to clotting duration.
- The test is also recommended for patients undergoing heparin therapy. Heparin is defined as blood thinners that are used to prevent the formation of dangerous blood clots.
Is a prescription required to book an APTT test?
No, a prescription from any registered doctor is not required for the APTT test. However, it is advised to mention the ongoing medicines, herbs, vitamins, or supplements to the doctor, if any. Certain medicines like blood thinners, aspirin, or antihistamines may influence the test results.
Does MFine provide result interpretation along with the reports?
Yes. MFine provides result interpretation along with the reports. Also, you will be able to avail a free doctor consultation after the lab test to understand your reports accurately. Our doctor will also advise and prescribe medicines if required based on the results.
Is the APTT test definitive?
The APTT test is used to extensively monitor the duration of blood coagulation in patients. However, the results may be influenced by ongoing medications (like blood thinners), age, comorbidity profiles, etc. The results also differ according to laboratory infrastructures and instruments available. The test attempts to deduce the severity of the diseases. However, it cannot reproduce any definite results.
What other tests are usually recommended along with the APTT test?
Depending upon the diagnosis and the reason for conducting the test, several other tests help in measuring blood clotting. The other tests recommended are:
- Prothrombin time, PT
- Thrombin time, TT
- Activated whole blood clotting time, ACT
What diseases can be detected through the APTT test?
The APTT test is used to monitor the duration of clotting time in patients and also detect the prevalence of any bleeding disorders respectively. The other diseases that may be diagnosed through the respective test are Liver disease, Antiphospholipid antibody syndromes, Vitamin K deficiency, etc.
How can I download my APTT test report?
- Log in to MFine.
- Go to your profile.
- Click Attachment and Reports.
- Click Lab Report and download the same.
Are there any discount offers running on the APTT test in Chennai?
Usually, you can avail of up to 50% discount on the APTT test through MFine. However, the discount and test price may vary based on lab partner and location.