Stool Occult Blood Test in Ahmedabad
Select a Lab
Request a Call Back
How to Book A Stool Occult Blood Test in Ahmedabad?
What is the Stool Occult Blood Test used for?
A stool occult blood test is considered positive if blood is detected in the stool sample. The stool test confirms whether you have a healthy gastrointestinal tract or not. If not, then timely medication is necessary. The bleeding can be due to various reasons like:
- Inflammatory bowel disease (Ulcerative colitis or Crohn’s disease).
- Stomach or intestinal infections.
- Stomach ulcers.
- Colon (large intestine) ulcers.
- Haemorrhoids/Piles (swollen blood vessels near the anal or lower rectum region).
- Anal fissures (tears in the muscle lining of the lower intestinal or anal tract).
- Diverticular diseases (formation of tiny pockets or sacs in the large intestine).
- Cancerous growth (benign or malignant).
What is included in a Stool Occult Blood Test?
The stool occult blood test is conducted by a certified lab technician or a medical expert from a recognised medical laboratory. The Hemospot Test is widely used for screening the blood in the human faecal specimen. The test kit contains Guaiac resin-based paper, a developing solution, and positive control. The stool sample can be applied on the resin-based paper with the applicator stick. The developing solution reacts with the blood cells (if present) in the sample to produce a blue colour, unlike the positive control. The colour change confirms the presence of blood in your faecal sample.
Procedure for a Stool Occult Blood Test
- An experienced lab technician from MFine will arrive at your doorstep at a chosen time to collect your stool samples.
- For better analysis, it is best to provide samples from at least three different bowel movements. Consult a medical expert on how to collect the stool samples.
- The samples will be brought to the laboratory for further testing and analysis.
- The report will be analysed by the laboratory expert before confirming the results.
- Once the test report is ready, it will be available for viewing and downloading on the MFine app within the next 24 to 48 hours.
How to prepare for a Stool Occult Blood Test?
It is important to remember and follow certain instructions before you undergo the test. The doctor mostly suggests not to eat and drink the following:
- Red meat
- Vitamin-C rich foods
- High caffeine or alcohol intake, etc., for 48-72 hours before your test to prevent them from affecting your results.
- Medications like painkillers, aspirin, blood thinners, corticosteroids, etc.
If you are under any other medications, kindly consult your doctor before the stool blood test is conducted.
Things to consider after a Stool Occult Blood Test is complete
- Once your stool test is complete, you need to consult your doctor with the test reports. Please do not self-diagnose.
- If your test is detected positive, it means you are likely to bleed from somewhere in the gastrointestinal tract.
- To confirm the cause and sight of bleeding, your doctor may prescribe additional tests like colonoscopy, MRI scans, and/or biopsy before starting the treatment plans.
- If you had stopped any medicines before the stool occult blood test, consult your doctor before resuming them.
What types of infection can a Stool Occult Blood Test detect?
- A stool occult blood test can detect certain infections caused by bacteria, viruses, and parasites. Chronic infections can also cause bleeding in the gastrointestinal tract. Infectious diarrhea caused by harmful bacteria or parasites can be detected through the immunochemical stool occult blood test.
- A positive test result can also be an indication of the early stages of colorectal cancer in humans.
- Other reasons can be ulcers, diverticulitis, constipation, piles, and/or polyp growth.
It is best to confirm from an expert doctor before assuming the diagnosis on your own.
How much does a Stool Occult Blood Test cost?*
In India, the Hemospot kit costs roughly around Rs. 700/- to Rs. 850/- from a recognised company on online platforms. The equipment has to be stored and used as per the instructions provided on the kit. If you are unsure of using an at-home kit, you can book an appointment with the MFine app at an accredited lab of your choice. At an approved laboratory, the stool test is priced from Rs. 100/- to Rs. 250/-. The cost will be extra if you are prescribed to undergo a colonoscopy, scans, stool analysis and DNA, and other additional tests.
*Disclaimer: The value varies based on location, time, and your preferred lab partner.
How long does it take to get the results for a Stool Occult Blood Test?
You can expect to get the results for stool occult blood tests within 24 to 48 hours after the sample is collected. However, in certain cases, depending on the location, medical advice, and preferred lab partner, it may take longer.
What do abnormal Stool Occult Blood Test results indicate?
- The normal stool occult blood test will indicate the absence of blood traces or any other microscopic evidence of bleeding in the fecal sample. The consistency and the content of the feces are also analysed.
- On the contrary, if you are tested positive, it means you are bleeding internally in the digestive tract. Abnormally high levels of hemoglobin, which is more than 2 to 3 milligrams of hemoglobin per gram of stool sample (mg/gm), can indicate serious complications in the gastrointestinal tract.
- The abnormal results or false-positive results can also be due to the consumption of certain foods, drinks, or medicines like painkillers. It is strictly recommended not to self-analyse the test reports or self-medicate for the same.
- The doctor can also recommend extra tests for confirmation of the diagnosis. Only after the illness is diagnosed will you be prescribed appropriate medicines.
Disclaimer: Please consult with your doctor for interpreting the test reports accurately.
Is the Stool Occult Blood Test a definitive test?
The stool occult blood test can only confirm whether there are microscopic blood traces present in your stool sample. It cannot detect the specific reason for gastrointestinal bleeding. The stool occult blood test is not definitive. To confirm the cause and the location of bleeding, the doctor will recommend further imaging tests like scans or colonoscopy before prescribing any medication.
How to read a Stool Occult Blood Test report?
- Negative result
A healthy, normal adult usually shows less than 2 to 3 milligrams of hemoglobin per gram of stool sample (mg/gm). A healthy result of the stool occult blood test would be the absence of blood cells, bacteria, viruses, parasites, fungi, mucus, or undigested meat products in your stool sample.
- Positive result
The abnormal result could indicate underlying gastrointestinal issues in your body. Higher values of haemoglobin, which is more than 2 to 3 mg/gm in the stool sample, are associated with various tumour growth (benign and/or malignant), especially in the large intestine. Additional tests or biopsy has to be performed to confirm the prognosis of cancer. Other causes of bleeding could be chronic microbial infection, ulcers, blood vessel inflammation, and swelling, etc.
If your results are positive, avoid self-diagnosis to prevent confusion and panic. Instead, consult with top doctors from India’s trustworthy hospitals via chat, audio, or video calls on the MFine app. After the online consultation, you can easily follow up with the respective doctor in person within the next five days.
Why book a Stool Occult Blood Test?
- To detect the causes of abdominal pain, discomfort, fever, nausea, low hemoglobin, sudden weight loss, stool colour change, and/or constipation.
- To monitor the risk of developing any chronic gastrointestinal diseases or disorders.
- To screen for any existing digestive tract problems.
- To rule out internal bleeding issues.
You can book a Stool Occult Blood Test on the MFine app and also gain an advantage through online consultations, long-term care plans, and medicine delivery.
Stool Occult Blood Test at home – how does it work?
The stool occult blood test is a routine lab test. A lab technician visits your home and gives you a plastic, sterile container to collect the stool sample. Place something in the toilet to collect the stool, such as a clean plastic food container or plastic sheet. Make sure that stool doesn’t touch the inside of the toilet. Use a clean spoon or spatula that comes with the container to collect the stool till the 1/3rd mark, then screw the lid shut.
Are there any risks involved with a Stool Occult Blood Test?
Like any other medical test, stool occult blood tests come with certain disadvantages. Certain medications, food products, red meat, and drinks can alter the test results. The test can be unreliable in such cases. Therefore, it is necessary to inform the doctor or the lab technician about the food and medicines that you consume before taking the stool occult blood test. There are no apparent health risks involved in taking the test after following the necessary guidelines prescribed by your doctor.
What can affect the results of a Stool Occult Blood Test?
Various factors are involved, which can affect the stool occult blood tests. Ask your doctor about food and medicine consumption before booking an appointment for the test.
- Medication like painkillers, anticoagulants, and others can result in false-positive blood tests.
- Citrus foods, carrots, cauliflowers, turnips, cucumbers, and red meat may remain undigested if eaten before the occult blood test. The traces of meat blood can also produce a false-positive result.
- The result can be false-negative if the cancerous mass remains intact and does not bleed. In such cases, the early-stage cancers might go undetected. Therefore, the test is not always accurate.
Why book an Stool Occult Blood Test ?
- Blood that cannot be seen with the naked eye but may be present in normal-coloured faeces is called occult blood. Blood in the stool is typically expelled due to delayed intestinal bleeding and does not modify the appearance of the stool in any way. Stool Occult Blood Test is undertaken to look for internal bleeding of the digestive tract, which might indicate colon cancer, asymptomatic ulcerated GI tract lesions, polyps, haemorrhoids, diverticulosis, and colitis (a type of inflammatory bowel disease).
For further assistance
Popular Health Packages
What does theStool Occult Blood Test measure?
What Preparation is Needed for the Stool Occult Blood Test?
What Happens to Your Test Sample?
What do Abnormal Results Indicate?
Frequently Asked Questions | FAQs
Can I avail myself at-home sample collection in Ahmedabad?
Yes, you can avail at-home sample collection in Ahmedabad. All you need to do is book an online appointment using MFine.
What is the cost of a Stool Occult Blood Test in Ahmedabad?
The cost of the Stool Occult Blood Test in Ahmedabad is between Rs. 160 to Rs. 250 which may vary depending on the laboratory.
I stay in Delhi. Can I book a Stool Occult Blood Test for my mother staying in Ahmedabad? You can book the lab test for your relative staying anywhere in India.
You can book the lab test for your relative staying anywhere in India.
How can I reschedule my appointment for the Stool Occult Blood Test sample collection?
You can reschedule your appointment for a stool occult blood test sample through the ‘Rescheduling Appointments’ page on your account. All you need is your login credentials and phone number to access this page.
Is the lab technician coming for Stool Occult Blood Test sample collection vaccinated?
Yes. Our lab technicians are fully vaccinated. Further, they also ensure safety throughout by wearing a mask and using sanitiser and gloves during sample collection.
When is Stool Occult Blood Test recommended?
A doctor may recommend a stool occult blood test for various reasons. Some of these are
- Rectal bleeding
- Iron deficiency
- Family history of colon cancer or polyps
- Chronic or unexplained pain in the abdomen or rectal region
Is a prescription required to book a Stool Occult Blood Test?
No, a prescription is not required to book a stool occult blood test. A healthcare provider may provide their patients with a prescription to get tested. In cases of any ongoing medication or treatment, it is best to show a prescription so that all necessary care and caution can be taken.
Does MFine provide result interpretation along with the reports?
Yes. MFine provides result interpretation along with the reports. Also, you will be able to avail a free doctor consultation after the lab test to understand your reports accurately. Our doctor will also advise and prescribe medicines if required based on the results.
Is the Stool Occult Blood Test definitive?
This test is not a definitive way to tell if someone has gastrointestinal cancer or another gastrointestinal illness. If the person is bleeding due to taking aspirin or other drugs, the findings will be positive. On the other hand, this test is an excellent predictor of gastrointestinal issues such as diverticulitis, Crohn’s disease, and many others. You must consult a doctor to study the results and chart the course of treatment accordingly.
What other tests are usually recommended along with the Stool Occult Blood Test?
Suppose a stool occult blood test reveals blood in the stool. In that case, your doctor will most likely prescribe a colonoscopy, colonography, barium enema, or flexible sigmoidoscopy to determine the cause and origin of the bleeding.
What diseases can be detected through the Stool Occult Blood Test?
Some of the diseases which can be ascertained through a stool occult blood test are Crohn’s disease, ulcers, anal fissures, gastrointestinal cancers, haemorrhoids, and so on.
How can I download my Stool Occult Blood Test report?
- Login to MFine
- Go to your profile
- Click Attachment and Reports
- Click Lab Report and download the same.