Book Serum Folic Acid Test in Hyderabad
Select a Lab
Request a Call Back
How to book a Serum Folic Acid Test in Hyderabad?
What is the Serum Folic Acid test used for?
A serum folic acid is routinely ordered by doctors to evaluate people:
- Suffering from intestinal conditions like Crohn’s disease or celiac disease because these disorders make absorbing folic acid a challenging task for your body
- Having some types of cancer or kidney disorders
- Having malnutrition, anemia and problems in absorbing folic acid
- Taking medication that may affect folic acid absorption
Doctors also find this test useful in diagnosing those displaying symptoms like low appetite, diarrhea, bleeding gums, memory loss, frequent headaches, or swelling and redness in the tongue. Additionally, if you are pregnant, the folic acid test can help your doctor to ascertain whether you are getting enough folic acid.
If you are experiencing severe fatigue, elevated heart rate, dizziness, or breathing trouble, these may be symptoms of anemia, and the Serum Folic Acid test can prove beneficial in detecting it. Further, if you are undergoing treatment for folic acid deficiency, doctors may use this test to check if the treatment is successfully working.
What is included in a Serum Folic Acid test?
Folic acid has a close association with vitamin B12. They work together to produce healthy red blood cells and boost iron function in your body. A lack of either of these can lead to anemia. Hence, your doctor may advise a vitamin B12 test along with the Serum Folic Acid test.
Procedure for a Serum Folic Acid test
A Serum Folic Acid test is conducted in the following steps:
- The lab technician cleans the area with an antiseptic solution.
- Then, an elastic band is tied and tightened around your upper arm. It slows down the blood flow and causes the veins of your arm to swell.
- It helps the lab technician to locate the vein quickly. Once the vein is found, the needle is gently inserted to draw blood. You may feel a quick sting.
- Once the required quality of blood is collected, the lab technician slowly takes out the needle and removes the elastic band.
- A cotton ball or gauze pad is used to stop any further bleeding.
- Then the technician applies a bandage on the site.
- Lastly, the collected blood sample is sent to a laboratory where lab experts analyze it.
How to prepare for a Serum Folic Acid test?
Before a Serum Folic Acid test, you must make sure your doctor is aware of your medications, including folic acid supplements, as specific medicines may lower your folic acid level.
Things to consider after a Serum Folic Acid test is complete
After the Serum Folic Acid test is completed, the needle is taken out smoothly. The site is covered with a bandage or cotton to stop the bleeding. You may feel slight pain, but it goes away in a few days. There are no post-test restrictions associated with this test. You can eat, drink and resume your routine activities.
After receiving the test reports, you must schedule an appointment with a doctor to discuss the results and know about any concerns.
*What types of conditions can a Serum Folic Acid test detect?
A Serum Folic Acid test can help to determine too low or too high folic levels in your blood. Either of the situations can cause health complications and must be corrected without much delay. However, based on your symptoms, if your physician suspects an immoderate quantity or deficiency of folic acid in you, this test can detect it properly.
How much does the Serum Folic Acid test cost?*
The cost of the Serum Folic Acid Test may differ from city to city. However, the price range is between ₹70 and ₹2200.
You can find the cost of this test in your city from the table given below:
|Book a Serum Folic Acid test in Navi Mumbai||₹ 954|
|Book a Serum Folic Acid test in Thane||₹ 948|
|Book a Serum Folic Acid test in Gurgaon||₹ 921|
|Book a Serum Folic Acid test in Hyderabad||₹ 772|
|Book a Serum Folic Acid test in Delhi||₹791|
|Book a Serum Folic Acid test in Mumbai||₹ 892|
|Book a Serum Folic Acid test in Chennai||₹ 826|
|Book a Serum Folic Acid test in Kolkata||₹ 944|
|Book a Serum Folic Acid test in Noida||₹ 872|
|Book a Serum Folic Acid test in Pune||₹ 705|
*Disclaimer: The value varies based on location, time, and your preferred lab partner.
How long does it take to get the results for a Serum Folic Acid test?
You can expect to get the serum folic acid test results within 24 to 48 hours after the sample is collected. However, in certain cases, depending on the location, medical advice, and preferred lab partner, it may take longer.
What do abnormal Serum Folic Acid test results indicate?
The reference range for the Serum Folic Acid test is 2.7 and 17.9 nanograms per milliliter. Generally, higher folic acid levels are harmless but may lead to some potential health problems such as:
- They may result from a vitamin B-12 deficiency. Vitamin B-12 is pivotal because it helps your body utilize folic acid effectively. So, low vitamin B-12 levels mean your body cannot use folic acid appropriately.
- Excess folic acid may expedite loss of brain function.
- Although folic acid is essential for pregnant women to ensure the healthy growth of fetuses, too much of this vitamin can increase the risk of slow brain development and insulin resistance.
- According to a few studies, exposure of healthy cells to high levels of folic acid can cause them to multiply and spread.
Lower folic acid levels may indicate the following:
- Folic acid deficiency
- Poor absorption of minerals and vitamins.
Disclaimer: Please consult with your doctor to interpret the test reports.
Is the Serum Folic Acid test a definitive test?
As mentioned already, folic acid and vitamin B12 are closely linked. To ensure that your body consumes folic acid appropriately, the right level of vitamin B12 is also needed. The deficiency of these can make you anemic. Hence, your doctor may advise further testing to get clarity on this.
Based on the differential diagnosis of these two, your doctor prescribes the treatment.
How to read the Serum Folic Acid test report?
The Serum Folic Acid test report is read in terms of low and high. The normal range of folic acid concentration in the blood is between 2.7 and 17.0 nanograms per milliliter.
|Hematocrit||MCV||Folic Acid Tests||Borderline folic acid level (3-4 mg/mL)||Low folic acid level (<3 ng/mL)|
|Hematocrit not done||55||1 (1.8)||0|
MCV = mean corpuscular volume
Low Folic Acid levels according to hemoglobin and mean corpuscular volume
Sometimes the reference values may vary depending on your body type, overall health condition, age, gender, and the laboratory where the test is performed. Hence, healthcare experts highly recommend that you must consult a doctor after you receive the test reports, to get an accurate interpretation.
Why to book a Serum Folic Acid test?
In light of its numerous functions, the importance of folic acid is immeasurable. While mild folic acid deficiency may not trigger many symptoms, severe deficiency can cause a range of symptoms mentioned earlier.
You may need to undergo this test if:
- You display symptoms of anemia.
- You are pregnant.
- Your nutritional status needs monitoring.
- You get symptoms like mouth ulcers, forgetfulness, weakness, rapid heartbeat, and more.
After you undergo the test, depending on your folic acid levels, your doctor may advise the following treatment measures:
- Recommend increasing the intake of foods containing folic acid
- Prescribe folic acid supplements, which you must take as instructed
- Advise either to reduce your alcohol consumption or quit it.
Serum Folic Acid test at home – how does it work?
The Serum Folic Acid test is just like any other blood test. A lab technician visits your home when you book your tests through the MFine app. The lab technician first cleans the arm and then inserts a syringe into a vein. The required amount of blood is then taken into a vial. The lab technician then removes the needle and places cotton wool or a bandage over the prick.
Are there any risks involved with a Serum Folic Acid test?
Taking a blood sample involves a very insignificant amount of risk. Locating veins and arteries may be challenging in some people because of which taking blood samples becomes difficult. Apart from this, the following may occur:
- Accumulation of blood under your skin (hematoma)
- Lightheadedness or fainting
- Swelling of the particular vein
- Excessive bleeding
- Infection at the needle insertion site
Before the test, inform the lab technician if you take any blood-thinning medications or suffer from any bleeding disorder. It is important to note that these issues only occur occasionally and usually resolve themselves. Overall, the Serum Folic Acid test has no significant risks.
What can affect the results of the Serum Folic Acid test?
A few factors that may affect or interfere with the test results can be:
- Suffering from medical conditions such as anemia or vitamin B12 anemia.
- Excessive consumption of alcohol
- Intake of certain medications can affect your folic acid levels. Some medications which may decrease your folic acid level can be
- Birth control pills
- Medicines used to treat malaria
Why book Serum Folic Acid Test?
Doctors prescribe a serum Folic Acid test as a routine check-up to examine people suffering from health conditions such as an intestinal condition, Crohn's disease or celiac disease, cancer or kidney disorders, malnutrition, anaemia, and problems in absorbing folic acid.
Doctors prescribe the Serum Folic Acid test if they find low appetite, fatigue, bleeding gum, frequent headache, swelling or redness of the tongue, and many more. In pregnant women, the test is conducted to detect the level of folic acid. The test is also conducted to detect anaemia.
For further assistance
Popular Health Packages
What does the Serum Folic Acid Test measure?
- The Serum Folic Acid test is conducted to measure the level of folic acid in the blood. Doctors usually prescribe a vitamin B12 test and the Serum Folic Acid test. Folic acid and vitamin B12 work together to produce healthy red blood cells. They improve iron function in the body. The deficiency of these two minerals in the body can lead to anaemia.
What Preparation is needed for Serum Folic Acid Test?
- It is vital to inform your doctor about all your medications, including folic supplements. This is because various medicines can lower the folic acid level in the body. Other than that, you do not need to prepare for the Folate Test.
What happens to your test sample?
What do abnormal results indicate?
The abnormal result of the Serum Folic Acid test can detect too low or too high folic levels in your blood. Both situations can cause health conditions that must be corrected without any delay. Excess folic acid may expedite loss of brain function. Though folic acid is essential for pregnant women to ensure the healthy growth of fetuses, too much of this vitamin can increase the risk of slow brain development and insulin resistance. Based upon symptoms and the result of your test, doctors can prescribe some other tests as well.
Disclaimer: It has been advised to always consult with your doctor to interpret the test reports.