Book HBsAg Test in Chennai
Request a Call Back
How to book the HBsAg test in Chennai?
What is the HBsAg test used for?
The HBsAg test is used to diagnose hepatitis B infection. HBsAg is the primary antigen that can be detected following HBV infection. The surface antigen can be detected about 1-9 weeks after the emergence of clinical symptoms. HBsAg test is also used as a screening test before surgery and during pregnancy to ensure that a newborn from a hepatitis B virus mother can receive prophylactic treatment measures. Additionally, HBsAg test monitors and evaluates patients with an active HBV infection.
What is included in the HBsAg test?
The HbsAg test detects the presence of HbsAg in the blood. Additionally, the test measures the amount of HBsAg in blood.
Procedure for the HBsAg test
The HbsAg test is like other routinely performed blood tests.
- A trained phlebotomist will draw a small amount of blood by inserting the needle into the vein.
- The collected blood sample will be transferred to a small vial or test tube. The sample will then be sent to a partner lab for further processing.
- Slight pain may be experienced in the arm when the needle is inserted into the vein. However, the pain will fade off quickly. Some individuals may also experience redness and swelling at the needle insertion site.
- The procedure usually lasts for about 5-10 minutes.
How to prepare for the HBsAg test?
No special preparations are needed for a HbsAg test. Some biotin supplements (also known as Multi-vitamins, coenzyme R, Vitamin B7) can interfere with the HbsAg test results. Discuss the medications you are currently taking with your healthcare provider before the test.
Things to consider after the HBsAg test is complete.
No special considerations or precautions are needed once the test is complete. Check for the test status on the MFine mobile app or website. Once the results are available, download the report and discuss it with your doctor. The doctor may recommend additional tests or starting medications based on the results of your HBsAg test.
What types of infection can the HBsAg test detect?
The HBsAg test is used to detect hepatitis B infection.
How much does the HBsAg test cost?
The cost of an HBsAg test varies across different cities in India. The starting price of the test ranges between 128 and 1105 rupees.
*Disclaimer: The value varies based on location, time, and your preferred lab partner.
How long does it take to get the results for the HBsAg test?
You can expect to get the results for the HBsAg test within 24 to 48 hours after the sample is collected. However, in certain cases, depending on the location, medical advice, and preferred lab partner, it may take longer.
What do abnormal HBsAg test results indicate?
A positive result for the HBsAg test indicates that you are infected with hepatitis B and can transmit the infection to other individuals. However, the HBsAg test does not differentiate between an acute and chronic hepatitis B infection. The HBsAg is used together with other hepatitis B blood tests like hepatitis B surface antibody (HBsAb) and hepatitis B core antibody (HBcAb) tests to determine the accurate clinical status of hepatitis B infection.
Disclaimer: Please consult with your doctor to interpret the test reports.
Is the HBsAg test a definitive test?
Yes, the HBsAg test is a definitive test for diagnosing hepatitis B infection. However, your healthcare provider may recommend additional blood tests to determine if the infection is acute or chronic. The doctor may also recommend liver function tests and sometimes a liver biopsy test to assess the extent of liver injury.
How to read the HBsAg test report?
A positive result indicates that you have hepatitis B infection, and you can transmit the infection to other individuals. A negative result may indicate that you are not infected with the hepatitis B virus. However, your healthcare provider will recommend further tests for confirmation. Always interpret your test result in consultation with your healthcare provider.
Why book an HBsAg test?
- To screen or monitor patients with suspected hepatitis B viral infection.
- To monitor and evaluate individuals receiving treatment for hepatitis B infection.
- To screen pregnant individuals, who are blood or organ donors, and who require immunosuppressive therapy.
HBsAg test at home – how does it work?
The HBsAg test is just like any other blood test. A trained phlebotomist visits your home when you book your tests through the MFine app. The Phlebotomist first cleans the arm and then inserts a syringe into a vein. The required amount of blood is then taken into a vial. The Phlebotomist then removes the needle and places cotton wool or a bandage over the prick.
Are there any risks involved with the HBsAg test?
The HBsAg test is devoid of any serious risks and injuries. Like other routinely performed blood tests, some individuals may experience pain, swelling, and redness at the site of needle insertion.
What can affect the results of the HBsAg test?
Biotin supplements may interfere with the HBsAg test results. Before HBsAg testing, disclose all the medications and supplements you are talking to your healthcare provider. The presence of food or fasting does not affect the results.
Why book the HBsAg test?
- HBsAg is a viral infectious disease that damages the liver and is used as a blood marker to screen for hepatitis B infections. Hepatitis B can be life-threatening. Patients with this infection have a higher chance of developing liver cancer, cirrhosis (a condition marked by liver scarring), and liver failure.
- HBsAg test determines the presence of this virus in the blood. In addition, the HBsAg test also helps determine the severity of the infection. The infection can be acute or chronic, according to which the line of treatment is decided. This test is also recommended as a routine test before surgery or pregnancy.
For further assistance
Popular Health Packages
What does the HBsAg test measure?
- The HBsAg test determines the precise quantity of Hepatitis B virus in the blood sample. It also determines whether or not the Hepatitis B Virus is replicating in the liver.
- Thus, if a person tests positive for the infection, they can also know how mild or chronic the disease is in the body.
- This liver disorder may pass through fluids like blood, vaginal discharge, or sperms. Hence, this test is necessary for diagnosis and curbing the spreading of infection.
What Preparation is needed for the HBsAg test?
- HBsAg is a simple blood test. There is no need for special preparation for this test as per experts. Biotin pills (also known as multivitamins, coenzyme R, or Vitamin B7) might cause skewed HbsAg test results. You should notify your preferred doctor about your medical history on precautionary grounds. There is no specific time and day to conduct this test.
What happens to your test sample?
What do abnormal results indicate?
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I avail at-home sample collection in Adyar, Chennai?
Yes, you can avail yourself of an at-home sample collection in the MG Road area of Chennai. In Chennai, MFine has a comprehensive network of labs and professionals. You are not required to visit our laboratory. After you reserve a time slot, our professional expert will collect the appropriate sample, and your test results will be available at your doorstep.
What is the cost of the HBsAg test in Chennai?
In Chennai, the cost of the HBsAg test mostly ranges from 200 and 100 rupees. The range may differ based on the town, quality, and test availability. The cost of various tests varies depending on the laboratories and the related infrastructure.
I am staying in Bangalore. Can I book the HBsAg test for my 35-year-old sister living in Chennai?
With MFine, you can schedule HBsAg tests for any of your relatives from anywhere in the country at one of the certified MFine labs. Users can schedule health exams and lab testing from their own homes and get results at their doorstep. The reports are available on the app and website in a shorter time, and the user can chat with a doctor for expert advice.
How can I reschedule my appointment for HBsAg tests sample collection?
The MFine app allows you to reschedule an HBsAg tests appointment conveniently. You have to log in to MFine and open your registered profile. Choose the option of rescheduling the appointment. It is a hassle-free and easy process.
Is the lab technician coming for the HBsAg test sample collection vaccinated?
Our lab technicians are fully vaccinated. Further, they also ensure safety by wearing a mask and sanitizer, and gloves during sample collection.
When is the HBsAg test recommended?
An HBsAg test determines the presence of the Hepatitis B virus in a person. The symptoms are similar to jaundice, such as yellowing skin and eyes, abdominal pain, fever, fatigue, nausea, and vomiting. If you notice any such symptoms, it is advisable to get the test done at the earliest.
Is a prescription required to book an HBsAg test?
There is NO necessity to take a prescription from a registered doctor to book an HBsAg test. However, it is always sound to consult a doctor before getting an HBsAg test so that they can better understand your symptoms and you can make an informed decision.
Does MFine provide result interpretation along with the reports?
MFine provides result interpretation along with the reports. Also, you can get a free doctor consultation after the lab test to understand your reports accurately. Our doctor will also advise and prescribe medicines based on the results.
Is the HBsAg test definitive?
No, the HBsAg test is not definitive. Your doctor may advise more blood tests to evaluate whether the infection is acute or chronic. To determine the amount of liver injury, the doctor may suggest liver function tests and, in some instances, a liver biopsy.
What are other tests usually recommended along with the HBsAg test?
Apart from the HBsAg test, the following blood tests are recommended for detecting Hepatitis B infections:
- Hepatitis B surface antibody (HBsAb) or anti-HBs test
- Hepatitis B core antibody (HBcAb) or anti-HBc test
- Immunoglobulin M (IgM) hepatitis B core antibody (IgM anti-HBc)
- Hepatitis B e antigen (HBeAg)
- Hepatitis B e antibody (anti-HBe)
- Hepatitis B viral DNA test
What diseases can be detected through the HBsAg test?
The HBsAg test detects the presence of any disease relative to liver infection and damage. The severity in the test report denotes the liver cancer condition. This report also diagnoses the carrier probability of the body, which can spread the diseases to other bodies. In many cases, liver failure is also possible because the virus has a huge impact on the body.
How can I download my HBsAg test report?
- Log in to MFine
- Go to your profile
- Click Attachment and Reports
- Click Lab Report and download the same
Are there any discount offers running on the HBsAg test in Chennai?
Usually, you can avail of up to 50% discount on the HBsAg test through MFine. However, the discount and test price may vary based on lab partner and location.