Book AST Test in Hyderabad
Select a Lab
Request a Call Back
How to Book an AST Test in Hyderabad ?
What is the Aminotransferase (AST) Test used for?
This test is used to:
- Detecting liver damage.
- Assist in the diagnosis of liver disease, such as hepatitis.
- Assess the effectiveness of liver disease treatment.
- Determine whether jaundice is the result of a blood illness or liver disease.
- Track of the symptoms of medications that have the potential to harm the liver.
What is included in an AST test?
An AST test is often included as part of routine blood screening. It can also be used to diagnose and monitor liver disease.
Procedure for AST Test
The following provides further information about how the AST test is conducted:
- It is a straightforward blood test that is performed by extracting blood from a vein in your arm.
- The blood sample is subsequently sent to a laboratory for SGOT level examination.
The majority of blood tests require a tiny volume of blood to be drawn from a vein. To accomplish this, a health care provider will:
- Clean the region, place an elastic band (tourniquet) over it to cause the veins to bulge with blood.
- Insert the needle into the vein (usually in the arm inside of the elbow or on the back of the hand)
- Draw blood with a vial or syringe.
- Remove the elastic band from the vein and the needle
- Needle insertion would cause minor pinprick pain
How to prepare for the AST test?
No specific preparations are needed for an ASTtest. Disclose all the medications you are taking to your healthcare provider before testing.
Things to consider after the AST test is complete
Once the test is done and the result is available, please consult your doctor. The doctor would suggest further diagnostic tests or starting medications based on your results. Please do not self-diagnose.
What types of infections can the AST test detect?
- Liver cancer cirrhosis
- Certain genetic disorders are autoimmune diseases.
- Fatty liver illness that is not caused by alcohol (NAFLD)
- In physical damage, liver trauma occurs.
How much does an AST test cost?*
The cost of a comprehensive ASTtest ranges from 99 to 200 rupees. The cost mainly depends upon the number of allergens that will be evaluated.
*Disclaimer: The value varies based on location, time, and your preferred lab partner.
How long does it take to get the results for an AST test?
You can expect to get the results for the AST test within 24 to 48 hours after the sample is collected. However, in certain cases, depending on the location, medical advice, and preferred lab partner, it may take longer.
What do abnormal ASTtest results indicate?
High levels of AST in the blood may indicate hepatitis, cirrhosis, mononucleosis, or other liver diseases. High AST levels can also indicate heart problems or pancreatitis. If your results are not in the normal range, it doesn’t necessarily mean that you have a medical condition needing treatment.
Disclaimer: Please consult with your doctor for interpreting the test reports.
Is the AST test a definitive test?
The AST test is not definitive. The test is usually performed as an initial diagnostic test for liver disease. It is a blood test that scans for any damage to the liver. AST or SGOT (serum glutamic-oxaloacetic transaminase) is an enzyme produced in higher amounts by the liver. It is also made by other organs like kidneys, heart and brain in smaller amounts.
How to read the AST test report?
A blood test for aspartate aminotransferase (AST) determines the concentration of this enzyme in the blood. Typically, results are available within 12 hours.
- The usual values indicated here—referred to as a reference range—are provided as a reference only.
- These ranges vary by laboratory, and your lab may have a different definition of what is considered normal.
- Your laboratory report should provide the range that your laboratory uses.
- Additionally, your physician will assess your results in light of your health and other relevant circumstances.
- This means that a value that is outside the range of the typical values indicated here may nevertheless be considered normal for you or your laboratory.
AST Normal Values
|Males||14–40 units per litre (U/L)|
*The values in the table depict the international reference range. The actual range may vary with the diagnostic test used, laboratory, patients’ age, and allergen type.
- Increased AST levels may be caused by the following: Liver damage caused by hepatitis or cirrhosis.
- A coronary artery bypasses graft or heart failure.
- Numerous medications, including statins, antibiotics, chemotherapy, aspirin, opioid pain medications, and barbiturates.
- Extremely vigorous exertion or a significant muscle injury.
- Vitamin A at high doses.
- Damage to the kidneys or lungs.
- Certain forms of cancer.
To understand the test report, it is important to know the enzyme’s reference range below:
- Men have a normal AST range of 10 to 40 units/L, while women have a normal range of 9 to 32 units/L.
- If the test results exceed the SGOT normal range, it indicates that the organ containing the enzyme may have been harmed.
AST test at home – how does it work?
The Aspartate Aminotransferase (AST) Test is just like any other blood test. A phlebotomist visits your home when you book your tests through the MFine app. The phlebotomist first cleans the arm and then inserts a syringe into a vein. The required amount of blood is then taken into a vial. The phlebotomist then removes the needle and places cotton wool or a bandage over the prick.
Are there any risks involved with the AST test?
The Aspartate Aminotransferase (AST) Test does not involve any risks. Some people may experience pain, swelling, and redness at the site of needle insertion.
What can affect the results of an AST test?
- If you have taken any over-the-counter medications such as ibuprofen before or within a few days of the test, the findings may be tainted.
- Consumption of alcohol
Why book an AST Test?
- Individuals who may have been infected with hepatitis viruses
- Individuals who consume excessive amounts of alcohol
- Individuals having a history of liver illness in their family
- Individuals who use medications that may cause liver damage
- Overweight and diabetic individuals
For further assistance
Popular Health Packages
What does the AST Test Measure?
- AST test (aspartate aminotransferase test) mainly measures levels of AST enzyme in your bloodstream. The enzyme aspartate aminotransferase is found in various bodily tissues. Higher blood levels of aspartate aminotransferase indicate a more advanced type of liver disease in adults, and several times it has possibilities of causing bodily infections. If you have any symptoms that indicate a liver problem, you should proceed through an AST test as soon as possible.
What Preparation is Needed for the AST Test?
- There are no such additional preparations required to process through the AST test. However, you can do the several generals practices mentioned below:
- Book test at comfortable time window for convenient sample collection.
- Note down any further prescribed tests.
- Disclose your medications, medical history, ongoing treatment, and hereditary issues, if any, to the doctor.
- You can wear a loose t-shirt or shirt for easy processing.
- Make sure to be in a comfortable posture while giving samples and take deep breaths to enhance blood flow for a more convenient collection.
- However, you can consult a doctor for personalized preparations for unnatural health before the test.
What happens to your Test Sample?
What do Abnormal Results Indicate?
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I avail at-home sample collection in Hyderabad?
Yes, you can easily avail of sample collection for various tests at home through MFine. Within a single click, you can book a slot for a test without going anywhere. Your test results will be available for download within 48 hours.
What is the cost of the AST Test in Hyderabad?
The cost of the testing varies depending on the laboratories and the infrastructure they utilize. In Kolkata, the cost of the test often ranges from INR 700 to 1000.
I am staying in Surat. Can I book an AST test for my Husband staying in Hyderabad?
Yes, you can easily book an AST test for your relatives and old family members living in distant places with the help of MFine.
How can I reschedule my appointment for an AST test sample?
You can easily reschedule the appointment for an AST test through the MFine app or web service. The app has an option to reschedule the sample collection date and time.
Is the lab technician coming for an AST test sample collection vaccinated?
Yes. Our lab technicians are fully vaccinated. Further, they also ensure safety throughout by wearing a mask and using a sanitiser and gloves during sample collection.
When is an AST test recommended?
The AST test is recommended to monitor the functioning of the liver. In case the AST levels in the blood are higher than the normal range, it directs towards abnormalities leading to severe complications, if not treated well on time. It is recommended if you are experiencing constant symptoms such as dark urine, bleeding difficulties, and so on.
Is a prescription required to book an AST test?
No, generally it is not required to take a prescription from a doctor to book an AST test. Still, it is recommended to consult a doctor before you book a test.
Does MFine provide result interpretation along with the reports?
Yes. MFine provides result interpretation along with the reports. Also, you will be able to avail a free doctor consultation after the lab test to understand your reports accurately. Our doctor will also advise and prescribe medicines if required based on the results.
Is the AST test definitive?
No, AST is not a definitive test. However, this test plays a significant role in determining the condition of the liver. To avail accurate results, your doctor may suggest several other tests with the AST test.
What other tests are usually recommended along with the AST test?
Other tests that are ordered along with the AST test are Alanine transaminase (ALT) and Alkaline phosphatase (ALP) for detailed examination.
What diseases can be detected through the AST Test?
Some of the diseases detected through the AST test include
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol) poisoning
- Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency
- Autoimmune hepatitis
- Certain medications
- Acute viral hepatitis
- Wilson’s disease
- Shock liver
- Hepatitis B
- Hepatitis C
How can I download my AST test report?
- Login to MFine
- Go to your profile
- Click Attachment and Reports
- Click Lab Report and download the same.
Are there any discount offers running on the AST test in Hyderabad?
Usually, you can avail of up to 50% discount on the AST test through MFine. However, the discount and test price may vary based on lab partner and location.