Book Alkaline Phosphatase Test in Chennai
Select a Lab
Request a Call Back
How to book an alkaline phosphatase test in Chennai?
What is the Alkaline Phosphatase Test used for?
The alkaline phosphatase test (ALP test) can help to determine the following:
- blockage of bile ducts
An alkaline phosphatase blood test can also help diagnose the following bone problems:
- Paget’s disease
This test can also be useful in answering for the presence of cancer tumors, unusual bone growth, or deficiency of vitamin D.
Higher blood levels of alkaline phosphatase (ALP) may also indicate problems with your liver or gallbladder. These problems may include:
- blockage of bile ducts
- liver cancer
What is included in the Alkaline Phosphatase Test?
- Alkaline phosphatase is a kind of test that allows measuring the amount of ALP in your blood. You have alkaline phosphatase throughout your body, including your liver, digestive system, kidneys, and bones.
- If you show signs of liver disease or a bone disorder, your doctor may order an alkaline phosphatase (ALP) test to measure the amount of the enzyme in your blood and help in diagnosing the difficulty.
- It is frequently ordered along with other tests, such as a gamma-glutamyl transferase (GGT) test and/or as part of a liver panel, which checks how your liver is working.
Procedure for Alkaline Phosphatase Test
- In an ALP test, blood needs to be drawn from your arm, and it is performed by a healthcare practitioner.
- The healthcare professional then sanitizes the skin on the front side of the elbow with alcohol and ties a tourniquet band, which will allow pooling the blood from the vein.
- Insert the needle into the vein to draw blood and then collect it in a tube.
- This process is simple and quick and causes less pain or soreness.
- The blood sample is then collected, and further analysis is done in the laboratory. Usually, the ALP test takes 24-48 hours to get the report.
How to prepare for an Alkaline Phosphatase Test?
You may have to limit food and liquids for several hours before the test. Some medicines interfere with the results. So, make sure your doctor knows about all drugs you take, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and supplements. Be sure to let your doctor know if you are pregnant because that will increase the level of ALP in your blood.
Things to consider after Alkaline Phosphatase Test is complete
When the test is done, the lab tech will take the tourniquet off, and you will get a bandage on the spot where the needle went in. It takes only a few minutes. The sample is immediately sent to a medical laboratory for analysis. Most of the time, you will be able to return to your normal activities right away. Once the test results are back, your healthcare provider will share the results with you.
What types of infection can the Alkaline Phosphatase test detect?
The ALP test can be helpful in identifying conditions such as
- Blockage of bile ducts (from a gallstone, inflammation, or cancer)
- Cholecystitis (inflammation of the gallbladder)
- Cirrhosis (scarring of the liver)
- Hepatitis (inflammation of the liver)
- Rickets, a weakening or softening of the bones in children
- Osteomalacia, a softening of the bones in adults usually due to significant vitamin D deficiency
- Paget’s disease of the bone, a condition causing serious concerns with bone destruction and regrowth
- ALP testing may also be helpful in investigating the presence of cancer tumours, unusual bone growth, or vitamin D deficiency.
How much does an Alkaline Phosphatase test cost?*
The cost may vary from city to city. However, the starting price of the test is between ₹70 and ₹200. From the below table, you can book the alkaline phosphatase test:
|City||Test Price Starting from|
|Alkaline Phosphatase ALP Cost in Delhi||₹ 70.0|
|Alkaline Phosphatase ALP Cost in Gurugram||₹ 72.0|
|Alkaline Phosphatase ALP Cost in Noida||₹ 72.0|
|Alkaline Phosphatase ALP Cost in Ghaziabad||₹ 72.0|
|Alkaline Phosphatase ALP Cost in Faridabad||₹ 75.0|
|Alkaline Phosphatase ALP Cost in Bengaluru||₹ 120.0|
|Alkaline Phosphatase ALP Cost in Chennai||₹ 120.0|
|Alkaline Phosphatase ALP Cost in Hyderabad||₹ 120.0|
|Alkaline Phosphatase ALP Cost in Mumbai||₹ 120.0|
|Alkaline Phosphatase ALP Cost in Vizag||₹ 124.0|
|Alkaline Phosphatase ALP Cost in Chandigarh||₹ 150.0|
|Alkaline Phosphatase ALP Cost in Mysore||₹ 170.0|
|Alkaline Phosphatase ALP Cost in Jaipur||₹ 170.0|
|Alkaline Phosphatase ALP Cost in Ahmedabad||₹ 178.0|
|Alkaline Phosphatase ALP Cost in Kolkata||₹ 178.0|
|Alkaline Phosphatase ALP Cost in Indore||₹ 178.0|
|Alkaline Phosphatase ALP Cost in Pune||₹ 178.0|
|Alkaline Phosphatase ALP Cost in Amritsar||₹ 178.0|
|Alkaline Phosphatase ALP Cost in Coimbatore||₹ 178.0|
*Disclaimer: The value varies based on location, time, and your preferred lab partner.
How long does it take to get the results for the Alkaline Phosphatase Test?
You can expect to get the results for the alkaline phosphatase test within 24 to 48 hours after the sample is collected. However, in certain cases, depending on the location, medical advice, and preferred lab partner, it may take longer.
What do abnormal Alkaline Phosphatase test results indicate?
Abnormal results may be due to the following conditions:
Higher-than-normal ALP levels
- Biliary obstruction
- Bone disease
- Eating a fatty meal if you have blood type O or B
- Liver disease
- Healing fracture
- Bone tumors
- Paget disease
- Protein deficiency
Lower-levels of ALP levels leads to
- Wilson disease
Many other conditions for which ALP test should be done:
- Renal cell carcinoma
- Multiple endocrine neoplasia
- Biliary stricture
- Giant cell arteritis
Disclaimer: Please consult your doctor for interpreting the test reports.
Is Alkaline Phosphatase a definitive test?
ALP test results are usually regarded as accurate. There are potential sources of error in the processing and analysis of your blood sample, so laboratories must take care to follow best practices to ensure dependable results.
If your ALP level is high, your doctor may have you take another test, known as the ALP isoenzyme test. This test determines the level of alkaline phosphatase in blood and finds out whether it is coming from the liver or the bones.
How to read the Alkaline Phosphatase report?
Normal range for alkaline phosphatase (ALP) varies from laboratory to laboratory. One common reference range is from 44 to 147 international units per litre (IU/L), but some organizations recommend a range of 30 to 120 IU/L.
High levels of ALP are also seen in growing children and pregnant women and are considered normal.
Low levels of ALP are seen in patients with malnutrition and certain genetic disorders. ALP levels also decrease temporarily after heart surgery and blood transfusion.
Normal values may vary slightly from laboratory to laboratory. The normal range of values of ALP differs by age and pregnancy status. ALP values are higher in children because their bones are actively growing, while the ALP values increase during pregnancy in tandem with the development of the placenta and the approach of childbirth.
|By U/L||By μkat/L|
|Adults||33 to 96 U/L||0.55 to 1.6 μkat/L|
|Children||Under 350 U/L||Under 5.8 μkat/L|
|Pregnancy (first trimester)||17 to 88 U/L||0.28 to 1.47 μkat/L|
|Pregnancy (second trimester)||25 to 126 U/L||0.42 to 2.1 μkat/L|
|Pregnancy (third trimester)||38 to 229 U/L||0.63 to 3.8 μkat/L|
Why book Alkaline Phosphatase Test?
- Health care providers will ask you for alkaline phosphatase (ALP) test for monitoring, screening, and diagnosing if you have any liver or biliary diseases or bone disorders.
- ALP test is usually a part of a comprehensive metabolic panel (CMP) and liver panel test. It is performed to keep track of your health to see if the health is getting better or getting worse.
- To detect any liver diseases such as jaundice, swelling, nausea and/or vomiting, unexplained weight loss, edema, abdominal pain, urine is dark color and changes in stool color to light.
- An ALP test can also help diagnose the cause of more general symptoms, such as fatigue.
Alkaline Phosphatase Test at home – how does it work?
The alkaline phosphatase test is just like any other blood test. A lab technician visits your home when you book your tests through the MFine app. The lab technician first cleans the arm and then inserts a syringe into a vein. The required amount of blood is then taken into a vial. The lab technician then removes the needle and places cotton wool or a bandage over the prick.
Are there any risks involved with the Alkaline Phosphatase Test?
ALP tests are common and a very important part of routine testing and screening. There is not much of a risk of having this test. There might be a slight injury in the vicinity where the blood was drawn for the test. But it subsides faster.
What can affect the results for the ALP test?
Eating before the test may slightly increase your ALP levels for a few hours. Levels can change from person to person. In the case of pregnant women, the levels of ALP are usually higher than the normal range. Mostly in young children, the levels of ALP are higher because it is a growing phase. And sometimes due to intake of certain drugs, like contraceptive pills, it lowers your ALP levels and some drugs can increase the ALP levels.
Why book an alkaline phosphatase test?
- It is necessary to analyze the symptoms like abnormal swelling in the abdomen, nausea, poor digestion, and weakening of bones.
- Some patients also suffer from frequent weight loss, constant jaundice symptoms, and joint pains. These symptoms resemble possibilities for severe infections in the liver and bone marrow.
- The alkaline phosphatase test is also essential to find any stone, cyst or clotting in the liver, gallbladder and pancreas. Sometimes the infection also occurs in blockages in the bile duct.
- This test provides cancer and organ failure symptoms by highlighting abnormal counts, if present, in the test reports.
For further assistance
Popular Health Packages
What does the alkaline phosphatase test measure?
- The alkaline phosphatase test measures the enzyme levels responsible for healthy liver functioning. These enzymes also provide nutrition to the bones by breaking them down into protein forms.
- The alkaline phosphatase enzyme travels in the bloodstream, which can be examined through this test. The test measures the infection level in the liver, gallbladder and pancreas. This infection also affects the bone and its density. The test reports count the infection in bones and analyze bone marrow's situation.
- The alkaline phosphatase test marks any blockages in the bile duct. The presence of stones, cysts and clots are also measurable through this test. This test also gives an idea about such elements' size and potency. Hepatitis, cirrhosis, and liver enlargement are factors that the alkaline phosphatase test measures.
What Preparation is needed for the alkaline phosphatase test?
- The patient needs no preparation for this test. Specialists must be aware of the medical history and any medication that the patient regularly follows.
What happens to your test sample?
What do abnormal results indicate?
The abnormal results in the test reports of alkaline phosphatase test indicate bone marrow cancer and other infection in the bones. These infections impact the bones with weakening and softening in the appearance.
The patient experiences constant joint pains and frequent fractures due to this infection. Abnormality in the test report denotes liver cancer, cirrhosis and failure. The abnormal value in the test marks poor liver functions, which adversely impact the body's digestive process. Pancreatic infection also occurs due to this abnormality.
There is the possibility of swelling in the liver, which resembles in patients as swelling in the abdominal part of the body. The presence of cysts, stones and clotting is another aspect reflected by the abnormal reports of the alkaline phosphatase test.
Blockages in the bile duct are also part of such observation. The stones and cysts can be present in the liver, pancreas and gallbladder. The abnormal counts in the test reports also denote the vitamin D deficiency. Diseases like osteomalacia, rickets etc., are the result of such deficiency.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I avail at-home sample collection in Chennai?
Yes, on the MFine app, you can avail the facility of sample collection by providing general details about location, time and date.
What is the cost of an alkaline phosphatase test in Chennai?
The cost of the alkaline phosphatase test in Chennai lies under INR 200 to 500. The charges may increase with the requirement of urgent testing and quick reports. The cost also varies according to the facilities and equipment in the testing centres.
I am staying in Bangalore. Can I book an alkaline phosphatase test for my grandfather staying in Chennai?
Yes, it’s an easy process to book the alkaline phosphatase test for another location. You have to visit the website portal of MFine and provide the essential details like location, timings and date for the test.
How can I reschedule my appointment for the alkaline phosphatase test?
Through the MFine app rescheduling, the appointment is a few-step procedure. It just needs a revised location, date and timings for the test on the MFine booking page for rescheduling the appointment.
Is the lab technician coming for alkaline phosphatase test sample collection vaccinated?
Yes. Our lab technicians are fully vaccinated. Further, they also ensure safety by wearing a mask and a sanitiser and gloves during sample collection.
When is an alkaline phosphatase test recommended?
This test is a necessary part of examining liver and bone infections. When the patient suffers from frequent jaundice symptoms and poor digestive procedure, this test becomes necessary to diagnose the liver condition. The alkaline phosphatase test also measures bone health and any infection affecting it adversely. The specialist diagnoses the stones and cysts, which can turn into cancer with the help of this test.
Is a prescription required to book an alkaline phosphatase test?
No, the booking for this test doesn’t require any prescription.
Does MFine provide result interpretation along with the reports?
Yes. MFine provides result interpretation along with the reports. Also, you will be able to avail a free doctor consultation after the lab test to understand your reports accurately. Our doctor will also advise and prescribe medicines based on the results.
Is the alkaline phosphatase test definitive?
This test is not definitive.
What other tests are usually recommended along with the alkaline phosphatase test?
The specialist suggested the other test with this test is the alanine and aspartate aminotransferase test. Both of these tests examine liver functioning and infections. The possibility of stones and cysts is visible in these tests’ affected areas. This test also analyzes the major possibilities of cancer and organ failure symptoms.
What diseases can be detected through the alkaline phosphatase test?
Diseases like cancer affecting the liver and bone marrow are detectable through this test. Liver failure, stones in the gallbladder and pancreas are also the major abnormalities that the alkaline phosphatase test detects. Osteomalacia, Paget’s disease and cirrhosis are visible through this test. Blockage in the bile duct and abnormal pancreatic function is also reflected in the alkaline phosphatase test reports.
How can I download my alkaline phosphatase test report?
- Login to MFine
- Go to your profile
- Click Attachment and Reports
- Click Lab Report and download the same.
Are there any discount offers running on alkaline phosphatase tests in Chennai?
Usually, you can avail yourself up to a 50% discount on the alkaline phosphatase test through MFine. However, the discount and test price may vary based on lab partner and location.