X-rays have been used for diagnosis of various orthopedic injuries for many years now. The application of this technique has now diversified into various sub-disciplines, enabling a much better diagnosis.
What is X-ray Left Calcaneum AP and LAT View?
An X-ray Left Calcaneum AP and LAT View is a radiological imaging technique used to analyze pictures of the calcaneum, or heel bone. The concerned area also includes the small bones of the ankles. This technique gives high-resolution 2-D images of the concerned portion of the heel bone used for detection of birth defects, fractures, and osteoarthritis in a non-invasive manner. This has led to increased use of this technique for diagnosing many orthopedic disorders of the lower limbs.
How is X-ray Left Calcaneum AP and LAT View performed?
The X-ray Left Calcaneum AP and LAT View is performed through the following procedure:
- The patient is made to sit comfortably with the backbone as straight as possible.
- The X-ray scanner is positioned laterally and in the anteroposterior to the patient for observing.
- The technician controls the scanner from a room adjacent to the X-ray chamber.
The procedure is deemed to be completed once all the satisfactory images are obtained.
Side Effects/Risks of X-ray Left Calcaneum AP and LAT View
Since X-ray Left Calcaneum AP and LAT View is a radiological scan, it has few side effects.
- The patient is subjected to radiation. If the time of exposure is elongated, the patient may develop mutations and tumors as a consequence.
- The backbone has to be kept straight for getting proper images.
Preparation before performing X-ray Left Calcaneum AP and LAT View
Following precautions have to be heeded before conducting the X-ray Left Calcaneum AP and LAT View procedure:
- All the belongings and attachments including watches have to be kept away from the X-ray apparatus.
Post-Care after X-ray Left Calcaneum AP and LAT View
After the X-ray Left Calcaneum AP and LAT View is performed, the patient has to recover through the sedative state under the observations of radiologists.
For any queries about this procedure and its details, you can consult top radiologists on mfine. Download the mfine app and consult top radiologists online today.