Varicella-zoster IgG means varicella immunoglobulin G antibody that a body produces against varicella zoster virus.
What is Varicella-Zoster IgG Test?
Varicella-zoster IgG helps the body to fight against varicella zoster virus that is a communicable virus. Varicella-zoster IgG test determines the varicella antibodies in the blood of a person. Varicella-zoster virus is responsible for the disease chickenpox. The varicella-zoster virus also causes shingles, which produces rashes in the body .
Why is Varicella-Zoster IgG Test Suggested?
A doctor may suggest varicella IgG test because of the following reasons:
- To diagnose chickenpox and shingles.
- To know the immunity of the person against the virus after recovering from illness.
- If a person suffers from a sore throat, headache, fever, and rashes in the body .
How is Varicella-Zoster IgG Test Performed?
Varicella-Zoster IgG test is performed in a lab by the lab personnel.
- The health professional cleans the area of sample withdrawal.
- A needle helps to draw the blood if the sample required is a blood sample.
- The health professional seals the punctured area with a bandage.
Varicella-zoster IgG test confirms the symptoms of the chickenpox or shingles.
What are the Parameters Measured in Varicella Zoster IgG Test?
The parameters measured by varicella zoster IgG test are:
- Varicella-zoster IgG antibodies.
- Varicella-zoster virus in a person who had a past infection.
Preparation before Performing Varicella-Zoster IgG Test
There are no prior preparations before the test.
Post-care After Varicella-Zoster IgG Test
The post-care measure includes:
- Isolate the patient to prevent communication of infection.
- Follow the doctor’s advice accordingly.
Sample Types in Varicella Zoster IgG Test
The sample types in Varicella Zoster IgG test are :
- Cerebrospinal fluid.
- Body tissues.
Side Effects/ Risks of Varicella-Zoster IgG Test
The risks and side effects of varicella-zoster IgG test are as follows.
- Bruising due to blood withdrawal by the needle.
- Clotting under the skin.