One would be advised to get a USG of Upper Abdomen examination done, in order to check for problems of the organs and structures within the abdomen, kidneys, liver, gallbladder, pancreas etcetera.
What is USG of Upper Abdomen?
USG of upper abdomen is an examination that helps to get a quick view of internal abdomen structures and organs from the outside. You may be asked to get a USG of upper abdomen examination if there is excessive pain,
enlargement, inflammation or kidney and gallbladder stones as well. Your health provider, may ask you to get a USG of upper abdomen done for a number of different reasons.
How is USG of Upper Abdomen Performed?
A USG of upper abdomen will be performed in the following way:
- You will be given a loose gown to wear.
- You will be asked to lie face-up or in whatever position is required to get clear images.
- A gel will be applied in the area.
- The transducer will be pressed against your stomach and moved back and forth over the area.
- You maybe asked to change positions as and when required.
USG of upper abdomen examinations is a procedure that comes with many advantages since it produces real-time images.
Side Effects and Risks of USG of Upper Abdomen
There are no side effects or risks of a USG of upper abdomen examination. It also comes with no risks from radiation.
Preparation before Performing USG of Upper Abdomen
There is no major preparations to be done before USG of upper abdomen. However, you may need to follow a few things:
- Your healthcare provider would talk to you, regarding refraining from eating and drinking before hand.
- You will be asked to sign a consent form..
- You would be asked to remove jewelry, and other objects that may come in the way.
Post-care after USG of Upper Abdomen
For a USG of upper abdomen examination there are no post-care measures to be taken.
The person can resume normal activities immediately.
Download the mfine app and consult one of our radiologists online, if you’re looking to get a USG of upper abdomen examination done.