Wondering about why your doctor has recommended a uric acid, random urine test? Find your answers here about the purpose, method of performance, post-care required, preparations required and side-effects of uric acid, random urine test.
What is uric acid, random urine test?
Uric acid, random urine test evaluates the concentration of uric acid in urine. Uric acid is formed in blood by the breakdown of nitrogen compounds in our cells. The kidneys remove uric acid through urine. Abnormal levels of uric acid detected by random urine test are indicative of gout, kidney stones or other kidney disease.
Why is uric acid test suggested?
Uric acid, random urine test is primarily done to detect high content of uric acid in urine. This is suggested to,
- Detect the presence of gout.
- Monitor uric acid levels of those undergoing chemotherapy or radiation.
- Diagnose the cause and extent of kidney stones
How is uric acid, random urine test performed?
A simple urine test is performed for uric acid test.
- Mid-stream one-time urine collection is required.
- Urinate in the sterile cup provided after cleaning genitals.
- Make sure toilet paper, hair, stool, blood, etc. doesn’t get into sample urine.
- Hand over sample to the doctor. Sample will be sent to lab for analysis.
The results of uric acid test will be interpreted and explained by your doctor.
What are the parameters measured in uric acid, random urine test?
Uric acid, random urine test measures the uric acid level in urine.
Preparation before performing uric acid, random urine test
Preparations for uric acid test are quite plain and nothing to worry about.
- Inform your doctor of any underlying medical condition.
- Clean your hands and genitals properly before collecting.
Post-care after uric acid, random urine test
No extensive post-care is required after uric acid, random urine test. You may,
- Eat and drink well.
- Avoid anxiety post random urine test.
Sample types in uric acid, random urine test
The samples for uric acid, random urine test may be obtained at home or at the doctor’s.
- Random urine sample
- “Midstream” urine about 40ml
Side effects/risks of uric acid, random urine test
There are rarely any side-effects for uric acid test.
- Those who use Foley catheter, may get infection or other damage.