Triiodothyronine Free

Consult City's Top Doctors, The Minute You Need To

First Consultation

Free consultations with top Doctors

Free consultations with top Doctors

Sample pickup at home

Sample pickup at home

Online reports within 48 hours

Online reports within 48 hours


Triiodothyronine free is a hormone produced by the thyroid and plays a critical role in body metabolism, muscle control, bone growth, brain function and the proper functioning of the heart and digestion.

What is triiodothyronine free?

Triiodothyronine free can be called the active form of thyroxine. 20% of this hormone is secreted directed into the bloodstream by the thyroid. The other 80% is converted by the kidneys and liver of thyroxine. The presence of too much triiodothyronine free in the bloodstream could result in Graves disease or tumors in the thyroid.

Why is triiodothyronine testing suggested?

Triiodothyronine, also known as T3, helps in producing thyroxine or T4. Both hormones regulate a person’s

  • Heart rate.
  • Temperature
  • Metabolism

How is triiodothyronine or T3 test performed?

The triiodothyronine or T3 test is easy to do. There is no special preparation for the test. The process includes:

  • Cleaning the test site.
  • Applying a tourniquet.
  • Collecting blood from the vein.

There is minimal discomfort while conducting the triiodothyronine or T3 test.

What are the parameters measured in the triiodothyronine or T3 test?

Some of the parameters tested by performing the T3 test are

  • Free thyroxine in the range of 7-1.9 ng/dl
  • Thyroid hormone binding ratio in the range of 9-1.1
  • Triiodothyronine serum in the range of 80-180 ng/dl

Preparation before performing triiodothyronine or T3 test

No measures must be taken to prepare for the T3 test. It can be done at any time without fasting.

Post-care after triiodothyronine or T3 test

After getting the triiodothyronine or T3 test done, doctors recommend the following:

  • Iodine medication.
  • More exercise.
  • Treat inflammation.

Sample types in triiodothyronine or T3 tests

There are two specific tests:

  • Triiodothyronine or T3
  • T4 serum testing

Side effects/risks of low triiodothyronine

Low levels of triiodothyronine or T3 could result in

  • Fatigue
  • Dry skin.
  • Muscle pain.
  • Stiffness in joints.
  • Irregular periods.
  • Thinning hair.
  • Goiter

Explore mfine


750+ Doctors


200+ Hospitals

Other Specialities

Download mfine App now

Download mfine App

Give a missed call to 08061914343 to Download the App