Trans Rectal Us – Prostate is a technique used to generate images of prostate gland along with the neighboring tissues.
What is Trans Rectal Us – Prostate?
Trans Rectal Us – Prostate is a test conducted for various reasons, some of which are listed below:
- Trans Rectal Us – Prostate helps detect the abnormal enlargement of the prostate gland.
- It can help detect other diseases of the prostate like prostate cancer.
- It can also detect the reasons for infertility.
Trans Rectal Us – Prostate can provide information about other anomalies while the digital rectal examination is being conducted.
How is Trans Rectal Us – Prostate performed?
Trans Rectal Us – Prostate is performed as follows:
- The patient is made to relax on the table wearing comfortable clothes.
- The colon and the bladder need to be empty. So, an enema is administered to empty the colon.
- The patient has to lie on his sides with his hands close to the chest.
- The transducer is covered with a protective layer and is placed over the rectum.
- The transducer sends out sound waves which produce echoes. These echoes will, in turn, create images on the monitor of the computer.
- The images can be observed for any abnormalities of the prostate.
The procedure of Trans Rectal Us – Prostate can be completed in 15 to 30 minutes.
Side effects/risks of Trans Rectal Us – Prostate
Side effects of Trans Rectal Us – Prostate may be some or one of the following:
- Rectal bleeding may be observed.
- Presence of blood in urine, semen or feces.
Preparation before performing Trans Rectal Us – Prostate
Preparation of Trans Rectal Us – Prostate is:
- The patient should avoid a dose of aspirin for at least a week before the test.
Post-care after Trans Rectal Us – Prostate
Post care for Trans Rectal Us – Prostate is:
- Follow-up in case of discomfort
mfine brings its patients a one-stop solution for all their medical conditions including Trans Rectal Us – Prostate.
Download the mfine app and consult radiologists online.