Tissue transglutaminase IgG is done to identify autoimmune conditions in someone.
What is Tissue Transglutaminase IgG?
A tissue transglutaminase IgG is notably used to identify certain autoimmune conditions of the body but mainly celiac disease. An autoimmune disease occurs when the body mistakenly identifies or perceives a non threatening substance that might cause an issue. For e.g. Gluten.
Why is it suggested?
Mainly suggested for identification and diagnosis of Celiac Disease. This test is also done to diagnose conditions related to gluten sensitivity. This test looks for IgG antibodies only. A positive level indicates that the body is creating antibodies to its own tissues which can happen in response to gluten ingestion.
How is it performed?
This test is performed through a regular blood test.
- A regular blood test is taken.
- The blood sample from the patient’s vein is collected through the arm.
- After the blood is collected, it is sent to the laboratory for analysis.
- After proper analysis of the blood test, a report is prepared.
The normal range of serum IgG levels is usually below 200 mg/dL. The antibody concentration usually greater than 40 U/dL usually correlate with results of duodenal biopsies in consideration with celiac disease.
- The patient is usually recommended to be on a diet that contains food consisting of gluten. Basically, a gluten diet.
- Any initial medical history or medications used should be informed to the health practitioner before the test is initiated.
- The patient should follow the guidelines that have been recommended to him pre and post the tests are done.
- Adherence to a gluten free or gluten containing diet is important, whichever the doctor recommends after the tests are done.
It is important for the patient to follow the treatment that has been provided by the doctor after the analysis of the test reports.
This test involves minimal risk, both in case of children as well as adults. However, it is extremely essential that the concerned patient, or the patient’s parents, in case of children follow the guidelines that have been provided by the health practitioner.