A sinogram/fistulogram is recommended to evaluate sinuses and fistulas that may be present in the body.
What is Sinogram/Fistulogram?
A Sinogram/Fistulogram is a type of real-time X-ray used to assess a sinus/fistula and related infections.
- Fistulas form in hollow organs whereas, sinuses are abnormal passages with only one opening.
- A contrast material is used to clearly identify the path of a sinus/fistula and the organs involved.
- A Sinogram/Fistulogram is useful to assess fistulas that are deliberately created in people receiving kidney dialysis.
There are multiples uses of a Sinogram/Fistulogram.
How is Sinogram/Fistulogram performed?
Once the initial preparation for the procedure is done:
- IV analgesics or sedation medicines may also be injected to make you feel comfortable during the procedure.
- The area around the sinus/fistula will be cleaned with an antiseptic solution.
- A local anaesthetic is injected into the area.
- The radiologist uses the X-ray equipment to guide a catheter into the sinus/fistula and when he/she reaches the correct place, the contrast material is injected into it.
- You may be asked to stay still during the x-ray procedure.
You may feel some discomfort during the injection phase of Sinogram/Fistulogram.
Side effects/risks of Sinogram/Fistulogram
The side effect/risks of a Sinogram/Fistulogram include:
- Mild chance of cancer due to radiation exposure.
- Some pain or bruising may be seen due to catheter insertion.
- Allergy to contrast dye.
Preparation before performing Sinogram/Fistulogram
Before a Sinogram/Fistulogram, you should inform your doctor about any medicines you may be taking.
- You have to refrain from eating anything 4-6 hours prior to the procedure.
- You may have small amounts of fluids though.
- You will be asked to change into a loose gown.
- You will be asked to wear a lead shield to protect other areas of your body.
- Bleeding from the fistula.
Post-care after Sinogram/Fistulogram
After a Sinogram/Fistulogram is performed:
- There will be some restrictions on your activities.
- You will be advised to avoid activities like driving, lifting weights etc.
- After a Sinogram/Fistulogram, you will be advised to not consume alcohol.
Locate the most advanced and best radiologists on mfine today.
Download the mfine app and consult with the best radiologists online.