Screening lumbar spine provides images of the spine from the lower back that includes five lumbar vertebrae.
What is MRI screening lumbar spine?
MRI screening of the lumbar spine is a non-invasive diagnostic test, which uses a powerful magnet and radio frequency waves to produce detailed images of the lumbar spine and its surrounding tissue .
- MRI screening lumbar spine is painless.
- Contrast may or may not be used in screening lumbar spine.
- MRI screening lumbar spine can detect fractures, spinal cord abnormalities, tumors, or infections.
- Also helps to visualize spaces between the vertebrae.
- Advised before spinal surgery.
No ionizing radiation used in MRI screening lumbar spine.
How is screening lumbar spine performed?
For MRI screening lumbar spine patient asked to lie on a table that slides into an MRI machine.
- Patient may be strapped to prevent movement.
- Contrast may be given intravenously.
- Magnetic field is focussed around lumbar spine.
- Computer develops many cross-sectional images of the lumbar spine.
MRI screening lumbar spine is completed in 30-90 minutes.
Risks of screening lumbar spine
MRI screening lumbar spine poses the least risk if all safety instructions are followed by the patient.
- Risk of malfunctioning of implanted medical devices.
- Allergic reaction caused by contrast.
- Not advised during pregnancy.
- If contrast used, avoid breastfeeding for 24-48 hours.
Preparation before performing screening lumbar spine
Before performing MRI screening lumbar spine, complete medical history of the patient is taken.
- Patient asked to change in a loose-fitting
- All metal accessories removed before MRI screening lumbar spine.
- Doctors advise regarding the intake of food, water, or medications to be followed.
- If the patient is claustrophobic, relaxing medication may be given.
Post-care after screening lumbar spine
Patient may be kept under observation for some time after MRI screening lumbar spine and can later resume routine activities.
- Patient is advised not to drive back home alone if a sedative is given during MRI screening lumbar spine.
- Drink plenty of water to flush out contrast from the body.
Have you been advised MRI screening lumbar spine? Download the mfine app to get confirm the appointment of an expert radiologist online.