MRI Left Hand With Contrast
Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) technique uses powerful magnetic field and radio waves to construct highly detailed internal body structure images.
What is MRI Left Hand with Contrast?
Many of the degenerative, infectious and inflammatory disease processes lead to cartilage damage in hand and fingers. MRI is mainly used for looking at soft tissues and the nervous system . These include organs, muscles, tendons and blood vessels in many parts of the body. Areas of the brain, spine, chest, pelvis, knees and shoulders can be examined. For an MRI with contrast, the contrast media such as Gadolinium is injected into the body that provides enhanced details of the scan, increasing the quality of diagnosis.
How is MRI Left Hand with Contrast performed?
An MRI machine could be large tube, short bore or open system.
- You will lie on a padded scanning table that slides into the MRI machine.
- You will receive an injection of the contrast dye called ‘gadolinium’, along with an IV in your arm. 
- The test creates strong magnetic field along with thumping and tapping sounds as it takes images.
- You will be required to remain perfectly still, due to the sensitivity of the machine to movement .
- The duration of the test could be 30 – 60 minutes.
During the scan, the technologist can communicate with you while you are inside the scanning tube.
Side effects/risks of MRI Left Hand with Contrast
MRI left hand with contrast has side effects that are not common however may include:
- Cold feeling.
- Unpleasant taste in mouth.
The contrast media are iodine-less and rarely cause allergy. You should consult with your doctor if you have any pre-existing conditions.
Preparation before performing MRI Left Hand with Contrast
If you have implants done or insulin or chemotherapy pumps, then you should consult doctor about having MRI scanning done. Also if you are pregnant, MRI testing during the first trimester is discouraged . Preparative measures include:
- You will need to change cloths, remove all piercings, jewelry and valuables and wear a patient gown.
- If you have claustrophobia and need MRI done in large tube, you will need to take anti-anxiety medication.
Post-care after MRI Left Hand with Contrast
You can resume your normal activity after MRI left hand with contrast, unless you experience any side effects.
Mfine can help you find expert consultant to know more about MRI Left Hand with contrast.
Download the mfine app today and consult Orthopedist online.