MRI Both Knee Joints is a diagnostic imaging procedure that uses a magnetic field, radio waves and computer programs to generate detailed pictures of the knee joint.
What is MRI Both Knee Joints?
MRI Both Knee Joints is a non-invasive imaging procedure. It helps to have a detailed view of the structures in the knee joint such as bones, cartilage, tendons, blood vessels, and muscles. It is useful in the diagnosis of knee pain, weakness, and swelling in the tissues around the knee joints, knee injuries, bone fractures, infections and tumors in the bones and joints. (1)
How is MRI Both Knee Joints Performed?
The MRI is a safe and painless procedure.
- Patient has to lie down on an examination table.
- The examination table slides inside the magnetic field of the MRI scanner.
- The MRI scanner generates multiple images of the knee joints.
It is generally performed in multiple sequences, which take around 45 to 60 minutes.
Side-effects of MRI Both Knee Joints
MRI Both Knee Joints is a relatively safe procedure, when compared to Ct and X-rays. Some rare complications include
- Discomfort due to lying still for extended periods of time.
- Patients might feel anxious.
- Risk of excessive sedation.
- Metal implants might cause trouble during the procedure.
Preparation before MRI Both Knee Joints
MRI Both Knee Joints does not require hospitalization, but patients need to prepare in advance for the test.
- Inform the doctor if you have anxiety or claustrophobia.
- Inform the Radiologist, if you are pregnant.
- Inform the Radiologist, if you have metal implants.
- Wear loose-fitting clothes without metal zips, belts, and buttons.
- Remove jewelry and other metal items before the test.
- Discuss medications and food before the MRI with your doctor.
Post-care after MRI Both Knee Joints
MRI Both Knee Joints is a simple procedure which does not require much post-care routine.
- Patients can go home immediately after the procedure.
- Patients who are sedated are kept under observation for some time after the MRI.
- Report any pain or discomfort after the procedure to the doctor.
mfine app helps you to search for and consult top Radiologists and Orthopaedics in your city.
Download the mfine app and consult <Radiologists and Orthopaedics > online.