MRI Abdomen With DiffuSIon
Diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging is an MRI method which provides qualitative as well as quantitative information on a cellular level. This method involves the exploitation of water movement in the intra and extracellular spaces. Signals obtained from water molecules in these different environments are utilized for characterization.
What is MRI Abdomen With Diffusion?
Diffusion-weighted imaging exploits the motion of water molecules. In an unrestricted environment, movement of water molecules is completely random whereas, inside a tissue, it is impeded by interaction with tissue compartments & cell membranes. The amount of impedance to the diffusion of water molecules is a measure of tumors, fibrosis, etc.
How is MRI Abdomen With Diffusion performed?
An MRI of Abdomen With Diffusion consists of the following steps:
- Individual to be tested is positioned on the moveable examination table
- Radio wave emitter and receiver may be placed around or adjacent to the area of the body being studied
- The individual is placed into the magnet of the MRI unit and test is carried out
Side effects/risks of MRI Abdomen with diffusion
MRI is an extremely safe test and poses almost no threat to an average patient. However, few of the rare risks associated with this test are
- The implanted medical device may malfunction during the test if they have any metal content
- Quality of images may not be as good as expected if the individual to be tested finds it difficult to lie perfectly still.
Preparation before performing MRI Abdomen with diffusion
Instructions laid out by technician regarding diet before test shall be followed
Report of all the medications, implants and allergies should be provided to the radiologist beforehand
Post-care after MRI Abdomen with diffusion
Individuals who require sedation to stay still during the test shall be allowed some time to recover
A person can resume his day to day activities immediately after the test if no signs of discomfort are observed.
For further information on MRI, expert radiologists can be directly contacted on mfine app.
Download the mfine app and consult radiologists online.