Hystero – Salpingiography (HSG) is a procedure to evaluate the shape of the uterine cavity and fallopian tubes. (1)
What is Hystero – Salpingiography (HSG)?
Hystero- Salpingiography (HSG) is a diagnostic procedure which uses X-rays to produce images of the uterus and fallopian tubes, and is generally done during the first half of the menstrual cycle. It helps gynaecologists assess the cause of infertility or difficulties during pregnancy.
How is Hystero – Salpingiography (HSG) Performed?
Hystero – Salpingiography (HSG) is a minimally invasive procedure:
- The patient lies down on the CT examination bed.
- A cannula will be inserted into the cervix.
- Iodine contrast is injected inside the uterus through the cannula.
- Fluoroscope X-ray images are taken to see the shape of the uterus and fallopian tubes as the liquid contrast passes through them.
Hystero – Salpingiography (HSG) test takes around 30 to 45 minutes.
Side- effects of Hystero – Salpingiography (HSG)
Though Hystero- Salpingiography (HSG) is a relatively safe procedure but has some side-effects.
● Severe pain and cramping in the abdominal region.
● Vaginal discharge with an unpleasant smell.
● Heavy vaginal bleeding.
● Allergic reaction to the contrast fluid.
● Pelvic infection due to the use of the cannula.
● Injury to the uterus.
Preparation before Performing Hystero – Salpingiography (HSG)
Prior preparation for the procedure includes:
- Taking pain medication and antibiotics given by the doctor an hour before the Hystero- Salpingiography (HSG) test.
- Inform the doctor about allergies and medical history.
- Wear comfortable clothes.
- Follow the instructions of the doctor.
Post-care after Hystero – Salpingiography (HSG)
The post-care routine after this procedure is:
- Patients can go home immediately after the test.
- Take the medications advised by the doctor to deal with pain and discomfort.
- Refrain from intercourse for a few days after the Hystero – Salpingiography (HSG) test.
- Report any signs of infection and allergy to the doctor. (2)
The mfine app is the best source to search and consult top gynaecologists and infertility specialists in your city.
Download the mfine app and consult gynaecologists and infertility specialists online.