Prolactin test is done to measure the level of prolactin hormone in the blood. Prolactin or lactogenic is a hormone produced by the pituitary gland located right below the brain. Prolactin test is done for both men and women.
What is PROLACTIN TEST?
Prolactin test is essential for diagnosing various conditions. Prolactin is necessary for both male and female reproductive health. Prolactin is mainly produced in women to help them produce milk after childbirth.
Why is PROLACTIN TEST suggested?
The doctor may suggest a prolactin test when diagnosing the cause of:
- Infertility in women
- Irregular or no menstrual periods
- Breast milk discharge when you are not pregnant or nursing
- Menopausal symptoms
- Erectile dysfunction and infertility in men
How is PROLACTIN TEST performed?
The prolactin test is a blood test. It is performed in the following manner:
- Blood is collected a few hours after waking up in the morning.
- A blood sample is collected from the vein in the forearm.
- The sample is sent to the lab to get tested.
The prolactin test takes a few minutes to conduct.
What are the parameters measured in PROLACTIN TEST?
The parameters measured in the prolactin test is the levels of prolactin in the blood. The normal level for women who are not pregnant <25 ng/ml and that for pregnant women it is 34 to 368 ng/ml. For men, the normal level of prolactin is <15 ng/ml. Fluctuation in the levels of prolactin might point towards the existence of an underlying issue.
Preparation before performing PROLACTIN TEST
Prolactin test does not require much preparation:
- Inform the doctor of any medication.
- No special preparation is necessary.
Post-care after PROLACTIN TEST
No post-care is needed after prolactin test.
Sample types in PROLACTIN TEST
The sample type in prolactin test is :
Side effects/risks of PROLACTIN TEST
The risks associated with the prolactin test are:
- A patient might get a small bruise at the site of blood withdrawal.
- If blood isn’t withdrawn correctly, a small hematoma may occur.
- A vein might remain inflamed after blood withdrawal, but that is very rare.
Prolactin test must be conducted carefully by professionals.