Homocysteine test is done to measure the amount of homocysteine in the human body. Homocysteine is a kind of amino acid. 
What is Homocysteine?
Homocysteine test is a lab test which is done to measure the amount of amino acid called homocysteine in the bloodstream.
It helps in the detection of deficiency of B12, B6 or folic acid.
Why is Homocysteine suggested?
The Homocysteine test is suggested in the presence of the following symptoms:
- Presence of unexplained or constant dizziness and weakness.
- Presence of pale skin, without any obvious reason.
- Presence of a sore throat.
- Tingling in the hands, feet, arms, and/or legs which is experienced in case of B12 deficiency.
How is Homocysteine performed?
Homocysteine test is performed as follows:
- A blood sample is drawn from the patient.
- The blood sample is tested for the presence of homocysteine.
What are the parameters measured in Homocysteine?
Homocysteine test measures the level of homocysteine in the blood :
- Homocysteine levels may be elevated in case of vitamin B12 or folate deficiency.
- In case of elevated levels, the body may not be able to convert to forms that are usable by the body, thus causing an increase in levels.
Preparation before performing Homocysteine
The following points need to be taken into consideration before the Homocysteine test:-
- The patient must visit the doctor to discuss all the details of symptoms and medical history.
- If the patient has experienced any prior problems in taking blood tests, they must inform the doctor before taking the test.
Post-care after Homocysteine
Homocysteine test is a simple procedure. No special care is required to post the sample for testing has been given.
A bandage may be required in case blood is drawn.
Sample types in Homocysteine
Homocysteine test is done only by the use of blood samples of patients.
Side effects/risks of Homocysteine
Homocysteine is a simple lab test hence, there are no side effects or risks of undergoing the test.