The calcium urine test determines levels of calcium in our body. Calcium helps our heart, muscles, and nerves to function properly.
What is a Calcium Urine Test?
A calcium urine test measures the quantity of calcium passed out of the body with urine. It is also known as the urinary Ca+2 test.
- All cells in the body use calcium for everyday functions.
- Calcium regulates proper functioning of heart muscles and nerves.
- It helps in building up our bones and teeth.
To show symptoms, calcium levels need to change rapidly from being extremely high to getting extremely low or vice-versa.
Why is Calcium Spot Urine Test Suggested?
Calcium in the urine test is suggested because of the following reasons:
- Nausea accompanied by vomiting.
- Pain in the abdomen.
- Blood in the urine.
- Severe Urination.
- Extremes of back pain.
Parathyroid disorders also require a calcium in urine test.
How is Calcium in Urine Test Performed?
The urine sample taken involves all of your urine for the last 24 hours to find out overall calcium levels in the blood.
- On the first day, urinate right after waking up and don’t save it.
- For the next 24 hours, collect all of the urine in the provided container.
- Close it and refrigerate it for the next 24 hours.
- Urinate in it the next morning before taking it up for the test.
What are the Parameters Measured in Urine Calcium Test?
Parameters measured include the total amount of calcium present in our blood.
Preparation before performing Calcium in Urine Test
These are the following guidelines to keep in mind:
- Your doctor might inform you to stop taking all medications before performing this test.
- You may also require having a diet with specific amounts of calcium before the test is taken.
Post-Care after Performing the Calcium in Urine Test
If results show higher levels of calcium in the blood, this means:
- There is a probable risk of the presence of a kidney stone.
- You may be suffering from hyperparathyroidism.
- Sarcoidosis might also get diagnosed
- Your doctor will discuss the results with you and plan treatment accordingly.
Sample Types in Urine Calcium Test
The sample collected is 24-hour urine output.
Side-Effects/ Risks of Calcium in Urine Test
There are no risks during performing a urine calcium test.