MRI stands for Magnetic Resonance Imaging. MRI neck with contrast uses a strong magnetic field in combination with radiofrequency to scan the neck for abnormalities.
What is MRI neck with Contrast2?
MRI of the neck is an imaging procedure used to scan the head for abnormalities. An MRI of the neck uses contrast for better image quality. The contrast helps to highlight certain parts of the soft tissue. Thus, MRI of the neck using contrast creates high-quality, detailed cross-section images of the neck. MRI using contrast helps detect inflammation, tumours, and other masses in the neck region.
How is MRI Neck with Contrast performed?
Following are the steps in a neck MRI with contrast1:
- You may be given a contrast called gadolinium. It might be injected before or during the procedure.
- The radiologist will ask you to lay on the MRI table, and during the course of the test, you may be asked to change positions.
- You will be moved through the MRI machine.
- You may be asked to wait after the first round of imaging in case additional images are needed. After this, your IV line will be removed (if there was any).
The whole procedure of the MRI of the neck with contrast can take a maximum of 45 minutes
Side effects of MRI Neck with Contrast
Since the MRI of the neck doesn’t involve the use of radiation or contrast with iodine there aren’t any side-effects associated with the procedure. Still, it is advised to contact your doctor if you feel abnormal.
Preparation before performing MRI Neck with Contrast
Following are the steps prescribed before getting a neck MRI with contrast done3:
- Before the neck MRI, talk to your doctor or technician and tell them about any health complications, or allergies to contrast materials, especially gadolinium medications.
- Refrain from eating or drinking as prescribed before your neck MRI with contrast.
- Remove all metal accessories and piercings from your body before the neck MRI.
- Inform your doctor or radiologist about any implants you might have.
- Get tests done to ensure your kidney is healthy before the intake of contrast.
- Claustrophobic patients should inform their doctor before the test so that they can be given relaxants before the neck MRI.
Post-care after MRI Neck with Contrast
After the MRI of the neck one may resume normal activities.
Download the mfine app for more such information and consult experts online.