Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) technique uses a powerful magnetic field and radio waves to construct highly detailed internal body structure images. This medical imaging does not involve radiation or x-ray.
What is MRI Left Hand?
Many of the degenerative, infectious, and inflammatory disease processes lead to cartilage damage in hands and fingers. MRI is mainly used for looking at soft tissues and the nervous system . These include organs, muscles, tendons, and blood vessels in many parts of the body. Areas of the brain, spine, chest, pelvis, knees, and shoulders can be examined. During MRI, the hydrogen atoms in the body orient in a state so that the magnetic field can create more specific signals that the scan produces.
How is MRI Left Hand performed?
An MRI machine could be large tube, short bore, or open system.
- You will lie on a padded scanning table that slides into the MRI machine.
- The test creates strong magnetic field along with thumping and tapping sounds as it takes images.
- You will be required to remain perfectly still due to the sensitivity of the machine to movement .
- The duration of the test could be 30 – 60 minutes.
During the scan, the technologist can communicate with you while you are inside the scanning tube.
Side effects/risks of MRI Left Hand
MRI left hand is entirely painless; however, if you feel any numbness, sweating, difficulty breathing or heart palpitations, you should notify the doctor.
Preparation before performing MRI Left Hand
If you have implants done or insulin or chemotherapy pumps then you should consult doctor about having MRI scanning done. Also if you are pregnant, MRI testing during the first trimester is discouraged . Preparative measures include:
- You will need to change cloths, remove all piercings, jewelry and valuables, and wear a patient gown.
- If you have claustrophobia and need MRI done in large tube, you will need to take anti-anxiety medication.
Post-care after MRI Left Hand
After MRI scan, you should get up slowly from the table. If you have taken any sedatives then you may need rest. You can resume your normal activity after MRI of left hand, unless you experience any side effects.
For the best MRI scan solutions for the left hand, please visit mfine website today.
Download the mfine app and consult orthopedists online.