A Femur is a fracture in one of your thigh bones from the hip to the knee. An MRI Left Femur is conducted to help the area from damaging further.
What is MRI Left Femur?
An MRI Left Femur scan uses a strong magnet to take pictures of the leg.
The MRI Left Femur scan provides detailed image of the internal structure of the leg without radiation. MRI uses radio waves, a magnetic field, and a computer to show a clear picture of the injured area.
MRI Left Femur scan is also useful in determining the extent of the proximal femur bone marrow edema syndrome.
How is MRI Left Femur performed?
Once you are sent for an MRI Left Femur scan, the test will be performed in the following ways:-
- You will be asked to lie down on a narrow table which goes into a tunnel scanner.
- A dye would be passed through a vein in your leg to create a contrast, so that the radiologist can see certain areas clearly.
The MRI Left Femur scan would take around 30 minutes to 1 hour or even longer to complete.
Side effects/risks of MRI Left Femur
MRI Left Femur scan is a much safer alternative for everyone as it doesn’t use radiation.
- If you have any metal implanted, you may face some risk. The magnets that are used in an MRI may cause a problem or make the implanted screws shift in the body.
- There can be an allergic reaction with the contrast dye, that are sometimes mild and can be controlled by medication.
Preparation before performing MRI Left Femur
Your doctor will give you a list to prepare for different test before an MRI Left Femur scan.
- Before an MRI Left Femur scan, your doctor will conduct a full medical and physical test.
- Mention if you are allergic or have had any reaction to contrast dye in the past. Your doctor will help in preparing you for the MRI Left Femur
Post-care after MRI Left Femur
Recovery after an MRI Left Femur often takes around 4 to 6 months depending on what kind of treatment you have had.
- Cover your leg brace with plastic while you shower, don’t soak in a bathtub for sometime after an MRI Left Femur
- Check to see if there are any signs of infection on your incision and take the medication prescribed to you on time after an MRI Left Femur
mfine app is an online doctor consultation app that will give you the best consultation including for MRI Left Femur surgery.
Download the mfine app and consult best orthopedists online.