MRI Cisternography is an effective diagnostic imaging tool to detect CSF leaks. MRI Cisternography uses strong magnets, radio pulses, and computer programs to produce clear images of the brain, and helps in the identification of CSF leaks.
What is MRI Cisternography scan?
MRI Cisternography is a reliable tool to identify the location of the CSF leaks and in the spinal canal and ventricles of the brain. (1) MRI Cisternography helps in the diagnosis of normal pressure hydrocephalus, CSF blockages, and CSF circulation problems. (2)
How is MRI Cisternography Performed?
MRI Cisternography is a non-invasive test that does not require hospitalization.
- MRI Cisternography does not require a lumbar puncture or contrast. (3)
- Patients have to lie down on the MRI examination table, with arms at the sides.
- The table moves inside the magnetic field of the MRI scanner, where images of the brain and CSF are taken in multiple sequences.
MRI Cisternography is a new test for the detection of CSF leaks.
Side-effects of MRI Cisternography
MRI Cisternography does not use any radiation and is a safe procedure.
- Some metal implants can malfunction during the MRI Cisternography procedure.
- Patients can feel anxious due to the loud noises in the MRI scanner.
- There is a risk of excessive sedation.
- Patients may experience discomfort due to lying still for a long duration.
Preparations before Performing MRI Cisternography
MRI Cisternography is a painless and safe procedure.
- Inform the doctor, if you are pregnant.
- Inform the Radiologist, if you have any metal implants.
- Inform the Radiologist, if you have allergies or other health conditions.
- Inform the doctor, if you are claustrophobic.
- Follow the instructions given by your doctor about the diet and medications before MRI Cisternography.
Post-care of MRI Cisternography
MRI Cisternography is a simple procedure to detect CSF leaks.
- Patients can go home after the procedure.
- Report any pain or discomfort after MRI Cisternography, to the doctor.
Mfine app helps you search for and consult the top Radiologists and Neurosurgeons in your city.
Download the mfine app and consult the Radiologists and Neurosurgeons online.