MRI Brain scan used strong magnets, radio waves, and computer programs to produce clear images of the internal structure of the brain.
What is MRI Brain scan?
MRI Brain scan is an advanced diagnostic imaging procedure that provides detailed images of the brain. These images help the neurosurgeons to identify diseases brain tissue, to conduct brain mapping, to assess the effect of brain degenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s, and to detect tumors and inflammation in the brain. (1)
How is MRI Brain Performed?
MRI Brain is a non-invasive procedure, which can be done with or without contrast.
- Patient has to lie down on the MRI examination table.
- An IV is inserted if the test is to be done with contrast.
- Coils that send radio waves may be placed around the head to improve image quality.
- The table will be moved inside the magnetic field of the MRI scanner, which takes a series of images of the brain.
- If the scan is to be done with contrast, contrast is injected through the IV and another series of images are taken.
The scan does not require hospitalization and is completed in approximately 45 to 60 minutes.
Side-effects of MRI Brain scan
MRI Brain scan is a relatively safe procedure as it does not use Ionizing radiation.
- Allergy and kidney damage to the contrast, if it is used.
- Some implants may malfunction during the scan.
Preparation before MRI Brain
MRI Brain is an outpatient test, which has to be pre-scheduled. The preparation involves
- Inform the doctor of claustrophobia, or metal implants, pregnancy or nursing.
- Follow the instructions of the doctor about eating and taking medications before the scan.
Post-care after MRI Brain
MRI Brain is a painless and simple procedure.
- Patients can go home after the procedure and resume a normal routine.
- If MRI Brain is done with contrast, consume plenty of fluids to flush out the contrast.
- If you used sedation medicine, do not drive after the test.
- Follow the instructions of the doctor about taking medications after the test.
mfine app helps you to search for and consult top Radiologists and Neurosurgeons in your city.
Download the mfine app and consult <Radiologists and Neurosurgeons > online.