MRI Brain With Venography is a specialized MRI of the brain to evaluate the veins in the brain.
What is MRI Brain With Venography?
MRI Brain With Venography is a specialized diagnostic imaging procedure that uses magnetic field, radio pulses and computer software to generate detailed images of the veins inside the head. MRI Brain With Venography aids in the diagnosis of blood clots and other disorders in the veins. (1)
How is MRI Brain with Venography Performed?
MRI Brain With Venography is a non-invasive procedure.
- Patients have to lie down on the movable MRI examination table.
- An IV is inserted.
- Coils are placed around the head to improve the quality of the images.
- The table slides inside the magnetic field of the MRI scanner, which takes multiple sequences of images.
- Gadolinium contrast is injected through IV.
- Another series of images are taken as the contrast travels through the veins in the brain.
Patient has to lie still during the MRI Brain with Venography procedure.
Side-effects of MRI Brain with Venography
MRI Brain With Venography is a safe procedure as it does not use ionizing radiation.
- The contrast can cause allergies and kidney problems.
- Pain and infection at the IV site.
- Some metal implants can malfunction during MRI Brain With Venography procedure.
- Clots caused by venography.
Preparations before MRI Brain With Venography
MRI Brain With Venography is a quick and painless procedure.
- Inform of any allergies, health issues and implants to the radiologist.
- Inform the doctor, if you are pregnant or nursing.
- Do not drink caffeinated beverages before the test.
- Discuss with the doctor about food and medications before the MRI Brain With Venography procedure.
- Wear comfortable clothes.
- Remove jewellery and other metal items like eyeglasses, hair pins and credit cards.
Post-care of MRI Brain With Venography
MRI Brain with Venography does not require much post-care.
- Patients can go home immediately after the procedure.
- Do not drive, if sedations is given during the MRI Brain with Venography procedure.
- Drink plenty of fluids to flush out the contrast.
- Report any symptoms of an allergy to the doctor.
Mfine app helps you search for and consult the top Radiologists and Neurosurgeons in your city.
Download the mfine app and consult the Radiologists and Neurosurgeons online.