MRI Brain with Diffusion Studies is diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging of the brain. The procedure uses a magnetic field, radio pulses, and computer software that uses diffusion of water molecules to produce MRI images of the brain. (1)
What is MRI Brain With Diffusion Studies?
MRI Brain With Diffusion Studies is used to map the diffusion process of water molecules in the body, which reveal microscopic details of tissue architecture. It is used to evaluate the white matter pathways in the brain and for brain mapping studies. (1)
How is MRI Brain With Diffusion Studies Performed?
It is a non-invasive test.
- Patient has to lie down on the MRI examination table, with hands on the headrest and the head placed on the headrest.
- Coiled devices are placed around the head to improve the quality of images.
- The table will slowly slide inside the magnetic field of the MRI scanner, which produces exceptionally clear images of the internal structures of the brain, using diffusion studies.
- It is performed in multiple sequences and lasts for anywhere between 60 to 90 minutes. (2)
Patient has to lie still during the test as any sort of movement will blur the images.
Side-effects of MRI Brain With Diffusion Studies
It is a safe procedure. It does not use ionizing radiation.
- Patients may suffer from anxiety because of loud noises inside the scanner.
- Some implants with metal parts may malfunction during MRI Brain With Diffusion Studies.
- There is a risk of excessive sedation if it is used during the test.
Preparation before Performing MRI Brain With Diffusion Studies
It is a painless procedure that requires minimum preparation.
- Inform the doctor about allergies, pregnancy, implants, and other health issues.
- Avoid consuming caffeinated drinks before the test.
Post-care after MRI Brain with Diffusion Studies
It is an accurate method to diagnose brain disorders and plan brain surgeries.
- Patients who are given sedation are kept under observation for some time after the test.
- Report any pain or discomfort after the test.
mfine app helps you to search for and consult top Radiologists and Neurosurgeons in your city.
Download the mfine app and consult <Radiologists and Neurosurgeons> online.