MRI Brain and Orbits scan is an advanced diagnostic imaging test that aids to get clear pictures of the brain and the eye sockets. It uses powerful magnets, radio waves, and computer programs to generate clear pictures of the brain and orbits.
What is MRI Brain and Orbits Scan?
MRI Brain and Orbits is a diagnostic tool that helps in the evaluation of the brain and orbits. It provides clear images of the brain, eye sockets and aids in the diagnosis of optic neuritis, neuro-ophthalmic diseases, tumors and inflammation in the brain and other orbital disorders. (1)
How is MRI Brain and Orbits Scan performed?
It is a non-invasive procedure and does not require hospitalization. The process of the test involves
- Patient has to lie down on the examination table.
- Coils are placed around the head to improve the image quality.
- The table slides inside the magnetic field of MRI scanner.
- Multiple images of the brain and orbits are generated.
Patient has to lie still during the procedure, as any movement blurs the images.
Side-effects of MRI Brain and Orbits Scan
The MRI does not use radiations and hence is a relatively safe procedure. Some rare complications include
- Risk of excessive sedation.
- Some implants containing metal can malfunction during the MRI Brain and Orbits scan.
Preparation before Performing MRI Brain and Orbits Scan
The scan is an out-patient procedure, which takes around 45 minutes. The prior preparation involves
- Inform the doctor if you are claustrophobic, pregnant, and have metal implants.
- Discuss food and medications before the test with your doctor.
- Wear loose-fitting and comfortable clothes.
- Remove jewelry and other metal items before entering the MRI area.
Post-care after MRI Brain and Orbits
MRI Brain and Orbits is a safe and accurate procedure that does not require much post-care.
- The patient can go home after the procedure.
- If you are given sedatives, do not drive after the test.
- Follow the instructions of the doctor about food and medications after the test.
- Report any pain or discomfort to the doctor.
mfine app helps you to search for and consult top Radiologists and Neurosurgeons in your city.
Download the mfine app and consult <Radiologists and Neurosurgeons> online.