Mammography-One Side is an X-Ray scan done to detect breast cancer in a woman.
What is Mammography- One Side?
Mammography- One Side is a diagnostic procedure in which low doses of X-ray radiation are used to detect early signs of breast cancer in a woman before they progress further. Mammography- One Side is specifically used for the detection of breast cancer in women. It is a highly beneficial test as it helps to reduce the risk of breast cancer deaths by 25-30% . It is recommended that all women above the age of 40 go for annual mammograms as a preventive measure. Other disorders detected by Mammography- One Side include cysts, adenosis, fibrosis and breast abscess.
How is Mammography- One Side performed?
Mammography- One Side is performed in a designated exam room.
- The patient changes into a hospital gown.
- The radiologist assists the patient with compressing the breast between two clear plates .
- X-rays are taken while the breast is compressed.
- The entire procedure takes around 30 minutes.
Side effects/risks of Mammography- One Side
While Mammography- One Side is a highly safe procedure, possible risks involved include
- Potential harm to unborn foetuses due to radiation.
- Risk of inaccurate diagnosis of either the presence or absence of cancer.
Preparations before performing Mammography- One Side
The following preparations will help to ensure that Mammography- One Side goes smoothly.
- The radiologist must be informed of any previous surgery or treatment on the breast.
- All metallic objects like jewellery must be removed .
- It is advisable to get a second opinion on the results to reduce the risk of inaccuracy.
Post-care after Mammography- One Side
No specific post-care is required after Mammography- One Side. The radiologists will share the test results with the patient within one or two days.
Download the mfine app and consult radiologists online.