Lipase is an enzyme secreted by the pancreas, the abnormal levels of which may lead to serious disorders.
What is Lipase test?
Lipase test examines the levels of lipase in the body.
- Lipase test helps diagnose any condition which may have arisen due to abnormally high levels of Lipase.
- The high levels of lipase can cause diseases like acute pancreatitis and chronic pancreatitis.
Lipase test can also detect pancreatic cancer.
Why is Lipase test suggested?
The following symptoms can lead to a lipase test:
- Severe upper abdominal pain.
- Weight loss.
- Oily and fatty stools.
How is Lipase test performed?
Lipase test is performed as follows:
- The process of drawing the blood from the patient’s arm is simple.
- Once the blood is drawn, it is collected and sent to a lab for testing.
What are the parameters measured in Lipase test?
Parameters measured in Lipase test are:
- Lipase enzyme.
- Amylase in some cases.
Preparation before performing Lipase test
Preparation for Lipase test is as follows:
- Patient needs to stop any birth control medications or diuretics or other medications prior to the test.
Post-care after Lipase test
Post-care for Lipase test is:
- A detailed discussion with the doctor can help correct the condition.
Sample types in Lipase test
Sample types in Lipase test:
Side effects/risks of Lipase test
Side effects of Lipase test are:
- The patient may faint looking at the blood.
- Infection at the point of puncture.