IGF Binding Protein-3 test is done to diagnose growth hormone deficiency in children.
What is IGF Binding Protein-3?
IGF Binding Protein-3 test is a lab test which is done to diagnose growth hormone deficiency or in rare cases growth hormone excess. This condition can affect children in puberty. The levels of IGF binding protein 3 are highest during childhood. They decrease as children grow. 
Why is IGF Binding Protein-3 suggested?
The IGF Binding Protein-3 test is suggested under the following circumstances:-
- When a child has signs and symptoms of slow growth.
- The child has delayed development.
- In adults, it is done when there is decreased bone density, reduced muscle strength, and increased lipids.
- When a child or adult has signs and symptoms of gigantism or acromegaly, respectively.
- When a pituitary disorder is suspected.
How is IGF Binding Protein-3 performed?
IGF Binding Protein-3 test is performed as follows:
- A blood sample is taken from the patient.
- The lab test is done on the test sample.
What are the parameters measured in IGF Binding Protein-3?
IGF Binding Protein-3 test gives the practitioner an idea about the levels of IGF Binding Protein-3 in the sample. Elevated levels can lead to conditions like gigantism whereas, lower than normal levels can lead to a situation of delayed growth in children.
Preparation before performing IGF Binding Protein-3
The following points need to be taken into consideration before the IGF Binding Protein-3 test:-
- The patient must visit the doctor to discuss all the details of symptoms and medical history.
- If the patient has experienced any prior problems in taking blood tests, they must inform the doctor before taking the test.
Post-care after IGF Binding Protein-3
IGF Binding Protein-3 test is a simple procedure. No special care is required post the sample for testing has been given.
A bandage may be required in case blood is drawn.
Sample types in IGF Binding Protein-3
IGF Binding Protein-3 test is done only with the use of a blood sample.
Side effects/risks of IGF Binding Protein-3
IGF Binding Protein-3 is a simple lab test hence, there are no side effects or risks of undergoing the test.