HLA – B27, PCR test is done to detect the presence of human leukocyte antigen proteins in the bloodstream. 
What is HLA – B27, PCR?
HLA – B27, PCR test is a lab test which is used to test the presence of human leukocyte antigen. The presence of the HLA-B27 is associated with immune system dysfunction.
Why is HLA – B27, PCR suggested?
The HLA – B27, PCR test is suggested in two scenarios, for monitoring disease progression and for the purpose of diagnosis.
HLA – B27, PCR test is ordered for diagnostic purposes when the following symptoms are present:
- Presence of unexplained and constant joint pain.
- Presence of swelling and stiffness in the spine, neck or chest.
- Unexplained inflammation in the joints or urethra accompanied by skin lesions.
- Recurrent eye inflammation.
How is HLA – B27, PCR performed?
HLA – B27, PCR test is performed as follows:
- A blood sample is drawn from the patient.
- The blood sample is tested for the presence of HLA-B27 antigen.
What are the parameters measured in HLA – B27, PCR?
HLA – B27, PCR test detects the presence of HLA-B27 Antigen:
- A positive test result indicates the presence of the antigen and an increased risk of autoimmune diseases.
- A negative test result may not be conclusive of the absence of the antigen.
Preparation before performing HLA – B27, PCR
The following points need to be taken into consideration before the HLA – B27, PCR test:-
- The patient must visit the doctor to discuss all the details of symptoms and medical history.
- If the patient has experienced any prior problems in taking blood tests, they must inform the doctor before taking the test.
Post-care after HLA – B27, PCR
HLA – B27, PCR test is a simple procedure. No special care is required post the sample for testing has been given.
A bandage may be required in case blood is drawn.
Sample types in HLA – B27, PCR
HLA – B27, PCR test is done only by the use of blood samples of patients.
Side effects/risks of HLA – B27, PCR
HLA – B27, PCR is a simple lab test hence, there are no side effects or risks of undergoing the test.