HDL / LDL Cholesterol ratio tests is conducted to measure the average level of cholesterol ratio in the blood. Cholesterol is a waxy substance found in almost every animal including humans. Body fluids including blood and cells contains some cholesterol which is needed for good health. This test measure both good and bad cholesterol.
What is HDL / LDL Cholesterol?
HDL / LDL Cholesterol test stands for High Density Lipoprotein (HDL) / Low Density Lipoproteins (LDL) Cholesterol test which is used to used to detect the average level of cholesterol. HDL known as good cholesterol cruises the bloodstream and removes bad cholesterol and LDL known as bad cholesterol which along with other substances make a plaque in the arteries.
Why is HDL / LDL Cholesterol suggested?
HDL / LDL Cholesterol is suggested if one is suspected to have
- Heart diseases like angina, heart attacks, High BP.
- If there is family history of high cholesterol.
- Diabetes, chronic failures and overweight.
How is HDL / LDL Cholesterol performed?
HDL / LDL Cholesterol test is performed by
- Taking blood sample from either the vein on the arm or by pricking the tip of finger.
- If lipid level is abnormal a confirmation test may be conducted.
What parameters are measured in HDL / LDL Cholesterol
The parameters measured in HDL / LDL Cholesterol are
- The level of good cholesterol in the bloodstream and the level of bad cholesterol in the bloodstream.
Preparation before HDL / LDL Cholesterol
Preparing for the test you may
- Avoid several medication which make false positive result.
- Take glucose or juice before the test.
Post care after HDL / LDL Cholesterol
The post care after the test requires
- Take rest and drink plenty of water
- In abnormal HDL and LDL cholesterol avoid certain food items.
- Taking regular exercise may also help you maintain cholesterol.
Sample types in HDL / LDL Cholesterol
For this test you may require only
Side effects/risks of HDL / LDL Cholesterol
There are no major side effects of the test but, a person may
- Feel painful after the blood test on the vein or on finger.
- Get lightheaded and uncomfortable.