Globulin, Serum test is generally part of standard health check-up. It is a blood test to measure the levels of globulins in blood.
What is Globulin, Serum Test?
Globulin, Serum test measures the level of gamma globulins and other proteins in the blood. The test is used to diagnose a range of immune system disorders and cancers such as multiple myeloma. Globulin, Serum is also known as Serum globulin electrophoresis or total protein test. (1)
Why is Globulin, Serum Test Suggested?
Globulin, Serum Test is suggested to diagnose disorders such as
- Liver diseases.
- Kidney disease.
- Autoimmune disorders.
- Some types of cancers.
How is Globulin, Serum Test Performed?
Globulin, Serum test is a blood test, done at a pathology lab.
- An intravenous blood sample is collected from the patient.
- The sample is tested in the lab to measure the levels of Globulin proteins.
Low levels of globulin in Globulin, Serum test indicate liver or kidney disorders.
What are the Parameters Measured in Globulin, Serum Test?
Globulin, Serum Test measures the level of gamma and other globulin proteins in the blood.
Preparation before Performing Globulin, Serum Test
The process of giving a sample for Globulin, Serum test can be done within 5 minutes.
- Follow the instructions of the doctor, about taking medications before the test.
- Fast for 6 to 12 hours before the Globulin, Serum test, as instructed by your doctor.
- Wear comfortable clothes.
Post-care after Globulin, Serum Test
Globulin, Serum test is a simple and safe procedure.
- You can go home and resume routine activities after giving a sample for Globulin, Serum test.
- Report any pain or bleeding from the site of sample collection to your doctor.
Sample Types in Globulin, Serum Test
Globulin, Serum Test is done using only one sample.
- A Blood sample collected from veins.
Side-effects of Globulin, Serum Test
There are no serious complications for Globulin, Serum test.
- Risk of multiple punctures, if the veins cannot be found easily.
- Excessive bleeding from the sample collection site.
- Feeling dizzy after giving a sample for Globulin, Serum test.