A Filaria blood test helps in detection of filariasis.
What is Filaria test?
Filaria test helps in detection of filariasis in people. Filariasis is caused by parasitic worms and is also spread by mosquitoes. It causes swelling in the limbs and thus is also known as lymphatic elephantiasis.
Why is Filaria test suggested?
Filaria test is done when the patient experiences the following symptoms,
- Inguinal or axillary lymphadenopathy.
- Genital swelling.
- Skin exfoliation.
How is Filaria test performed?
Filaria is a very simple blood test. Below is the procedure,
- The blood samples are collected.
- The sample is sent to the lab.
What are the parameters measured in Filaria test?
The Filaria test is done via immunochromatographic method to detect the filarial antibodies which are present due to filarial infection.
Preparation before Filaria test.
No particular preparation needed before Filaria test,
- Discuss the medical history with the doctor.
- Also, find out if someone in the family was ever diagnosed with filariasis.
Post-care after Filaria test.
Filaria test does not require any special post care,
- The patient can go home after the sample collection.
- Follow up with the doctor regularly.
Sample types of Filaria test:
Filaria requires only one sample:
- Intravenous blood sample,
Side effects of Filaria test?
Filaria test has no side effects. But patient may experience,
- Pain while drawing the blood for sample collection.
- Anxiety before and during the sample collection.