Dual Phase CT Abdomen is an advanced imaging procedure, which consists of pre-contrast scans, and a combination of arterial phase and portal venous phase imaging of the abdomen.
What is Dual Phase CT Abdomen?
Dual Phase CT Abdomen is generally performed to detect and follow up cancers of the abdomen, problems in the urinary system, and injury to the abdominal organs. The Dual Phase CT Abdomen scan is a combination of multiple scans taken with and without contrast. The Dual Phase CT Abdomen provides clear images of the organs in the abdomen.
How is Dual Phase CT Abdomen Performed?
Dual Phase CT Abdomen is a safe and accurate procedure to diagnose cancer:
- The patient is made to swallow a contrast or, it is injected through an IV or enema.
- An initial scan of the abdomen is performed without contrast.
- After administering the contrast, two scans are taken at different times of the passage of the contrast through the abdomen.
Dual Phase CT Abdomen provides more accurate results when compared to the single phase CT scan.
Side-effects of Dual Phase CT Abdomen
Dual Phase CT Abdomen does not have any significant side-effects:
- Allergic reaction to the contrast.
- The contrast can damage the kidneys.
- Exposure to radiation.
Preparation before Performing Dual Phase CT Abdomen
Prior preparation includes:
- Discussing the medical history and health issues with the doctor.
- Following the doctor’s advice about discontinuing certain medications before Dual Phase CT Abdomen.
- Fasting for a few hours before the procedure.
- Removing all jewellery and other metal objects on the body.
Post-care after Dual Phase CT Abdomen
Dual Phase CT Abdomen scan does not require much post-care.
- The patient can go home after the scan.
- Follow the instructions of the doctor about medications to be followed after the procedure.
- Pay close attention to allergy symptoms of allergy and report them to the doctor.
Use the mfine app to consult top radiologists and oncologists in your city.
Download the mfine app and consult radiologists and oncologists online