The Cholesterol – Total test is also known as lipid profile.
What is Cholesterol – Total Test?
Cholesterol – Total is a blood test to measure the total cholesterol in the blood. The standard cholesterol test is conducted as part of regular screening to detect a high level of cholesterol, which can cause heart diseases.
Why is Cholesterol – Total Test Suggested?
Patients with the following risk factors are also recommended the test:
- High blood pressure.
- Family history of heart diseases.
- Sedentary lifestyle.
How is Cholesterol – Total Test Performed?
Cholesterol – Total is a blood test that is performed at a laboratory. The following steps are pursued:
- A blood sample is collected.
- The sample is tested to detect the levels of cholesterol and other lipoproteins.
The Cholesterol – Total Test can be done in fasting or non-fasting mode.
What are the Parameters Measured in Cholesterol – Total Test?
Cholesterol – Total Test measures the levels of total cholesterol, HDL Cholesterol, LDL cholesterol, and Triglycerides.
Preparation before Cholesterol – Total Test
The Patient has to pre-schedule a Cholesterol – Total test and visit a lab for providing a sample.
- If the test is performed in a state of fasting, then fasting must take place for 9 to 12 hours before the test.
- Follow the instructions of the doctor with respect to consuming medications before the test.
Post-care after Cholesterol – Total Test
The following post-care steps should be taken:
- The patient can go home after giving a sample for the Cholesterol – Total test.
- The patient should rest for some time if they feel weak or giddy.
Sample types in Cholesterol – Total Test
The Cholesterol – Total test is performed with an Intravenous blood sample.
Side-effects of Cholesterol – Total Test
Giving a sample for the Cholesterol – Total test is a safe procedure that does not usually carry major risks. Side effects may include
- Excessive bleeding from the sample collection site for Cholesterol – Total Test.
- Multiple punctures are needed if the vein cannot be located.